HAS MY DIABETES GONE????

STANNO

:D HI EVERYONE
I was diagnosed with Diabetes about two months ago, and have been trying to control it with diet and exercise,in this time i have lost about 4.5 stone and eating a lot more healthy also been playing golf 4 times a week for exercise.
I didn't seem to be getting anywhere until about a week ago, when my eyesight started to improve, but my blood sugars were still very high, over the last two days my levels dropped to 9.3 and today 5.2 (which i am thrilled about)!!!! Up until this week they were anywhere from 13.6 to 28.2.
What i need to know is am i curing my Diabetes (so i can eat sugary things Again) or am i just getting it under control (and have to carry on with the same diet that i have been on for the last two months)
As you probably all know, it would be nice to have the odd bar of chocolate, but I'm worried it might undo all my hard work.
I really am trying to keep of medication
I hope this post makes sense!!! And somebody has been in the same position and can help
Many Thanks Stan

Grazer

STANNO said:
What i need to know is am i curing my Diabetes (so i can eat sugary things Again) or am i just getting it under control (and have to carry on with the same diet that i have been on for the last two months)

Sorry Stanno! Nice try, but the reason your BGs are getting good is BECAUSE of the diet. As soon as you go back to your bars of choc, watch them rocket again and you'll undo all your good work.
No reason why you can't have a BIT of chocolate. Lots of people have a few squares of dark chocolate - the darker it is, the higher the cocoa content and the lower the carbs. But a return to sugary days - sorry, no.
You're not cured. You're managing it well. It could be that with the weight loss, your insulin resistance has improved, but that's not a cure.

STANNO

Many thanks for the quick reply Grazer
I thought that might be the case, but i was just hoping!!!!!
Really appreciate your reply
All the best Stan

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
:lol: STANNO, I remember thinking my diabetes had gone away :lol: . I think its just wishful thinking.
Great work on your diet though :thumbup: :clap:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sometimes, early in the disease process, diabetes does go into remission. That's not to say it will never come back. If the system is strained with too much carb, it may still come up again. However, if it is hiding, you can keep it under with the regime you are following. Carefful diet[ with controlled carbs], weight loss and exercise.
Well done!
Hana
Ps I keep my bg in the "Around 5 at all times" range on VLC. andI've lost a fair bit of weight, plus I exercise regularly too. I'm still diabetic, but under good control

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Stan,

You have it under control and fair credit to you for doing so! :thumbup: