1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Have I got this right?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Robbieswan, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Robbieswan

Robbieswan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ok. so, am I right in thinking not to avoid carbs all together because Insulin needs carbs to work, so, the trick is to eat enough carbs to live and eat enough calories to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but to avoid carbs in excess as that will turn to sugar and increase my levels.

2. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Why do you think that insulin needs carbs to work? Are you insulin dependent?

3. Robbieswan

That's how the nurse described it. She said that Insulin needs carbs to work. That's the thing that's confusing me. I am not insulin dependent.

4. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

Other way around. Carbs need insulin to work. More carbs more insulin, less carbs less insulin.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Robbieswan

Ahh right. Now, that makes more sense. Thank you.

6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@Robbieswan - Are you now saying you aren't taking insulin any more? I thought I read last night you were sent home taking fixed doses of insulin during the day?

7. Robbieswan

No I am taking Insulin with fixed doses. If I lose weight, is there a chance that I can beat this?

8. Robbieswan

I think it's getting to the stage I am over thinking this and confusing myself.

9. badcat

badcat · Guest

For all diabetics, understanding and manipulating diet is a complex balancing act that takes time to master, as a T2 using insulin it is a more complicated balancing act - get the balance of carbs to insulin too low then you risk hypoglycaemia (v low blood sugar) too high and you risk hyperglyceamia ( too high blood sugars ) - both are potentially very dangerous
    Using your meter to judge / track the effects of food and meds on your sugars is vital in getting a handle on the balance and how to manage it. My advice for what its worth is that this point so early post diagnosis, the best approach would be to use your meter to monitor the impact of foods / meds closely and only take baby steps in tweaking your diet until you have a better picture of how your individual body reacts

#9 badcat, Oct 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2017
  10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I thought you were insulin dependent? You inject insulin according to what you have said previously. As things stand, this means you are insulin dependent at the moment. This may change.

You have 2 choices.
    1. Eat as many carbs as you like and inject a lot of insulin.
    2. Eat a lot less carbs and inject less insulin.

The wise choice is choice number 2 for many reasons. However, you need help from your nurse if you are to do this.

Eating less carbs doesn't mean you eat less nutritious food. Carbs are not essential to life.

Losing weight will help, and providing your pancreas is relatively healthy, there is no reason why you can't beat it, but eating carbs won't help at all. Insulin is a fat carrying hormone. Too much of it and you will gain weight.

Try not to worry. Your best bet is to read up as much as you can about diabetes, insulin, the role of carbohydrate, the pancreas and liver and what they do. But take it easy. Take some deep breaths. This is a marathon, not a sprint. At the moment you are fine. You have your fixed amount of insulin to keep you going until you know what is happening and what you can do about it. It is a very long learning curve. Keep asking questions ... and read. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. DCUKMod

Robbie - T2 Diabetes happens for a number of reasons, but there's little doubt that, if we can trim up a bit, we usually better, and quite a few people coming to this forum have been able to reduce their meds quite a bit, to the point they take nothing.

Several people have also, given time, been able to reduce insulin doses or give it up, but right now it's incredibly early for you.

It does become bewildering and befuddling in the early days, when we're each desperate to understand what's going on, but so much of what we read or hear conflicts.

In my early days I thought I was going bonkers!

In your shoes, Robbie, I think I would want to be learning. Self help and self management is critical with diabetes. Our health teams support us on our journey, be we do the day to day grunt work.

Bearing in mind you are in the first week of you diagnosis, taking insulin, which is a powerful medication, it needs to be respected (and I'm sure you do). As I understand it you haven't been told what to do if your numbers go over or under a certain range?

Until you understand a bit more about adjusting your doses, it probably makes no sense to be adjusting your diet too much. Your doses are likely to be based on a number of factors, but likely to assume you arry on with your diet as before.

You are seeing your team in a few days. In your shoes, I'd be starting a list of questions I'd want to be asking them. On that list would be things like, what do I do if my numbers go too low? Similarly too high, and so on.

As a T2, you might find it beneficial to look at your diet and make some changes, but making big dietary changes without knowing how to adjust your insulin to fit could be a problem.

Just finally, your profile does declare you are taking insulin, but there is a second Type 2 setting that would display that more prominently. If you aren't confident setting that for yourself, I can make that change for you. It could just reduce the chances of folks misunderstanding your insulin use.

Robbie, I think you'll do fine, because your seem really keen to get a grasp on this, but sometimes we have to start with baby steps to prepare for the big strides forward.

Let me know about your profile setting.

12. Robbieswan

I love this forum. I am not a stupid person but it's taken me a while for the penny to drop. You have explained it in a fab way thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. Robbieswan

@DCUKMod .Yes if you could make the changes to my profile to accurately reflect my situation. Thank you so much.

14. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. DCUKMod

Robbie - To be honest, I don't think the penny is taking any time to drop at all.

If you think about it, this time last week, you were going about your business, as usual, but since then you have:

-Suffered some sort of collapse
    - Admitted to hospital
    - Diagnosed T1
    - Started on insulin therapy
    - Re-diagnosed T2
    - Discharged
    - Left on your own for a few days, without too much information it seems.

I'd say that's a massive amount to have got your head around.

Diabetes is a frustratingly personal condition, and certainly when it comes to you getting your head around "what's best for me", it will take a bit of time.

Like you, I took to the internet for my learning and found this forum and a few other places where I read and read.

You'll get there, but don't underestimate the assault your body has had in recent times, and it'll take it a little while to get over that.

(I've made your profile change, so that your insulin status will be clearer to folks.)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Robbieswan

@DCUKMod . You have summarised my situation extremely accurately and I feel right at home here. Thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. tomfalc

tomfalc Type 1 · Member

It’s not quite as simple as that. Fewer carbs does mean less insulin, but so do less weight and more exercise.

If you’re type 2 then it is possible that you may not need insulin if you lose weight. If you are type 1, sorry, but you require insulin for life.

18. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

We all need insulin, even us type 2s believe it or not. We just have to rely on our own to work properly at all times - and not all of us need to lose weight.

19. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I
    I'm a recently misdiagnosed type 2 on insulin (only took them 20yrs to realise!! But that's another story) lost a lot of weight and reduced carbs , still had to take a lot of insulin, but as other people have stated, diabetes is a personal condition. Good luck on your journey, but when you do go and see your nurse ask questions, especially on what to do when you go low/high you need to know what to do.

20. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Robbieswan, you have had such a lot to cope with in such a short time. Give yourself some credit for managing so well!

I dont inject insulin, so really have no advice to offer. But may I suggest you take a couple of hours off? Go see a film, read a book, go for a long walk, do anything thats not diabetes related. ( hard to do, I know, but we all need to breathe).

For a few days after my dx it was all I could think about, and I had nowhere as much to deal with as you.

I can only agree with all thats been said. Use your metre, dont change too much and have a long list of questions. And when you go for your review leave space by each questions so that you can write down the answers. I didnt remember half the stuff I was told. Good luck with it all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook