1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Have you ever forgotten injecting your insulin?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by mrtn.pllr, Jan 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mrtn.pllr

mrtn.pllr Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Pretty straightforward. If you did, what happened? Should I still eat if I don't have it with me, or what to do in case I can't inject it or forget it? What happens if I forget to inject my basal? Scaaary stuff.

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Not that scary. Yes I have forgotten (more than once) and I ain’t dead yet.
    Yes sugars go high so I realise I’ve not injected and correct.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

If I forgot to take it with me for one meal and only a couple of hours I'll stick to no/very low carb foods like meat and cheese and salad greens without dressing.
    I did forget my short acting insulin on a weekend away once, and luckily the pharmacy was able to help me out. If they hadn't been I would've gone home. (edit: Or I would've asked a local Facebook group. That probably would have worked!)

What happens, or how quick something happens if you forget to inject your basal depends on the basal. On Levemir it's a different story than on Tresiba.
    I have an alarm to remember to inject my basal.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

It’s happened to me quite a few times :banghead: If it’s basal and I’ve been able to do I’ve just injected when I’ve remembered but depending on the basal and dosage I’ve done a calculation of what I’ve thought I needed to cover myself and corrected with novorapid, if it’s a bolus then corrected and avoided carbs until back in range again, so snacked on something like nuts, cheese, olives.

I don’t think any type 1 is perfect in remembering every injection so you’ll find many of us have experienced this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I completely forgot my basal once, I used to take it before bed and didn't realise I had forgotten it until I was at work the next day, I felt really grim and vomited. I didn't test as much in those days and wouldn't automatically think to test if I felt off, but these days it's the first thing I would do so I could correct a high.
    I would say if you realise before eating that you don't have your insulin, eat carb-free or low carb. You won't die but you might feel grim if you are high.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm only 3 years in but I haven't forgotten to do my insulin yet, its become 2nd nature to me, test, inject and eat, its like you don't forget to brush your teeth well I haven't forgotten to inject, maybe its because I have a good routine I don't know xx

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah a fair few times. I bought myself a Timesulin pen top which has a stop watch on the pen lid to tell you when the pen top was last off! It didnt stop me forgetting BUT when looking at the top you knew when it was last off!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well after 40 years of injecting you’d think I would be like a robot now , but nope still a Human being , have forgotten my Basel a few times like others here I just inject it when I remember as long as it’s not like 10 hours. I only use to take one Lantus injection before bed but I am now on Levimir and take that twice supposedly 12 hours apart , It has sometimes been 16 hours apart with no ill affect on my bs. Think it last a bit longer myself, I think the message is Don’t panic , you might feel awful for a wee while but you’ll no be “pushing up the daisies” either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mrtn.pllr

Sounds good, but I'm still not on a liberal treatment, I'm not allowed to inject correctional insulins :(

• Hug Hug x 1
  10. mrtn.pllr

I'm starting to realise that I have to search for 'low or no carb at all' foods, they are good for these situations and also when I'm hungry and shouldn't eat more :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. mrtn.pllr

I agree that it's hard as hell to live a life this regulated and ordered. :'(

12. mrtn.pllr

Oh gosh, I remember the good ol' times, when being high meant something completely different :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. mrtn.pllr

Yes, but I have always been a pretty unordered guy, no daily routine whatsoever, so it's quite tough for me.

14. mrtn.pllr

I don't even know how a high BG feels like. When I was admitted to the hospital I had 600mg/dl (33,3 mmol/l), and I wasn't feeling bad, it was just a little strange, and I was thirsty as hell. But now back in the range of 4-9ish mmol/l, I can't imagine what would I feel if it went back up to like 15 mmol/l or so

15. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used to be the same until I was diagnosed as bg levels cope better with a routine xx

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, I think OP is on either mixed insulin or fixed doses atm due to being newly diagnosed. So room for experimenting might not be an option or it could be slightly dangerous. But I’m sure he will move onto carb counting, different insulins etc soon. I don’t know how much of an access he has to CGMs or libres.

• Hug Hug x 1
  17. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello again, when I was on levemir, I did forget so I would end up during some part of the day. When I switched to Tresiba, I would forget to take it during the night but I’ve switched it to first thing in the morning. There are also pens that tell you when your last dose is so that is helpful.

If you forget to inject your basal insulin, you would be high in between meals because there’s nothing bridging the gap. It’ll correcting or chasing high numbers. So try to remember before the day ends. If you hypo, keep stuff nearby.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At the moment is is for you as you are newly diagnosed. Everything will be hard to manage because evrything is new to you. Give it a few months and you will have a much better understanding on how your body works with your new regime. Give it time. Type has not stopped me doing much in 49 years, apart from being an astronaut.....and I am not clever enough anyway so no regrets ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mrtn.pllr

Yes indeed, I'm on what my doctor calls an old fashioned strict regime because she says I have to learn the harder therapy in order to switch to more liberal ones. I really want to try CGM's, they seem like the best "gadgets" a diabetic can have, I'm already tired of piercing my fingers 6 or more times a day :D I hope in the future there will be even more advanced stuff to manage it. Maybe, just maybe one day even some little instrument that they install in your body and it acts as a pancreas :D sweet dreams...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. scotteric

scotteric Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No problem, you should do what your doctor says, but I just don't understand this philosophy some doctors have. When I was diagnosed I had a really good Endo and was put right on Levemir (brand new at the time) and NovoRapid. It made perfect sense and I was able to make adjustments as I went. I don't understand how using an older regimen would've benefited me or anyone else. A CGM or Libre will make everything so much easier and help you understand how insulin and food affects you at every second of the day. Definitely get one the second you are able to, there is absolutely no reason to wait for one if you don't have to. They make your life safer and make the disease easier to understand and adapt to. Hopefully everyone newly diagnosed will get one at the hospital one day, just as we are given meters now.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook