Have you ever had mental health issues related to diabetes?

If you have ever had mental health issues relating to diabetes, what were they?

• Depression

Votes: 87 86.1%
  • Stress

Votes: 63 62.4%
  • Anxiety

Votes: 65 64.4%
  • Diabetes Distress

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Diabetes Burnout

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Other

Votes: 18 17.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Have you ever suffered from depression, stress, anxiety, diabetes distress or diabetes burnout? Please remember that all poll results are anonymous but you're welcome to elaborate.

If you have suffered from any of these problems, how have you gone about solving them? Did you find that provisions in your local area were up to scratch? Should there be more information available on the signs & symptoms of these issues?

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Have you ever had mental health issues related to diabet

I selected everything except diabetes distress and diabetes burnout because I didn't really know what they were.

I was diagnosed T1 when I was 11. I'm now 31. I have suffered from depression since I was 14, possibly longer but it wasn't diagnosed until I was 20. Since then I have officially been diagnosed with,among other things, clinical depression, anxiety, self-harm and an eating disorder.

I don't think my depression was caused by my diabetes but I firmly believe that the diabetes has a huge impact on my mental health and that my mental health has a huge impact on my diabetes. To my mind, it is silly to think the two things wouldn't influence each other. If you understand both conditions, poor mental health & diabetes, it's just common sense that they would affect each other.

I didn't receive treatment for my depression etc until I was 20. Since then I have been learning to manage both conditions as best I can but for me personally, it has been a struggle to find the motivation and energy and mind power to deal with my diabetes properly. My depression has had the effect of meaning I've spent years not caring about good control of sugar levels etc. Combined with an eating disorder (binge eating, starving, limited range of food, inability to prepare proper meals) the diabetes is of course greatly affected. We all know how horrible you feel when your sugars are high and that sugar levels effect your sleep... So feeling physically bad from high levels and sleep disturbance doesn't help with feeling depressed etc.

I have been overweight all that time and that also affects both my mental health and my diabetes. Hating yourself is all the more easy when you feel fat, ugly & disgusting. I should say I also have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and have had to deal with losing my hair and having to wear a wig, excess body & facial hair, infertility etc etc.... So that has played a big part too.

When I was 28 I suffered a heart attack. All my doctors were shocked and they said it was extremely rare. They said the diabetes and also the years of mental health issues will have played a role in it but they couldn't say for sure why it happened. Since recovering from the heart attack I have taken a bit more control over my diabetes, learning about it and being more active in managing it. I've lost weight and feel more positive about it all.

I believe everyone with diabetes should have access to some sort of psychological support. I think a person's mental health and their diabetes is naturally closely associated. How could one NOT have an affect on the other? I also think far too many diabetics have their mental health issues ignored or dismissed when really, it's crucial to have a good attitude and ability to cope with diabetes if you're going to be able to manage the condition well. Diabetes is a chronic condition that impacts your entire life on an hour to hour basis so it's no surprise to me that you need to be strong to cope with it well.

It was my diabetes consultant that pushed for me to get access to therapy. He sees how both conditions are closely linked and he was the one who fought for me to get the help I needed / need. He's been fantastic but I know I'm lucky and so many diabetics have their mental health ignored because not enough HCPs see what to me, is an obvious link.

There you go... That's me! :)

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Chronic fatigue syndrome brought on by diagnosis shock, felt very panicky that night in a&e was all alone. Luckily it went but I do have severe anxiety over hypos, sometimes it makes me feel unwell/exhausted the anxiety but I don't know what can be done about that!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

Im bot diagnosed yet but I've had depression since 12 which has improved hugely since discovering cannabis.

I used to have hypoglycaemia-induced psychotic episodes

Nowadays high BG makes me tired and cranky, so when my moods are erratic I test more. Lo and behold I'm over 10 when feeling generally low and irrationally snappy. Otherwise, 100 times happier than when chronically hypoglycaemic. (ex anorexic)

I also have PCOS and the pain does get me down as well as the crazy hormonal goings-on, erratic bleeding and feeling pressure from my other half about having kids in later life...

The counselling used to have for 6 years straight did nothing that make me feel guilty about being depressed and I felt my psychologist was losing interest/faith in me so I stopped going. Haven't attempted suicide since I stopped therapy, funnily enough...

Having a few friends you can vent to now and again is nice but I have always just felt guilt and like I'm irritating healthcare professionals when I keep coming back to them for the same problems over years.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

Hi, I haven't but my brother Dave has developed Alzheimer's, I hope it isn't hereditary because my brother has got it aswell

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

:)

pickledpepper2

Didn't know what hit me when I was first diagnosed.

Plus was having a lot of issues with my family and work at the time already, so was feeling pretty down as it was although I was fronting it like blokes do. Diabetes was like a cherry on the cake at that time. A final blow to bring me to my knees.....lol

But I must say, though life is far from hunky dory right now - things have definitely improved, especially on the family side and my control is okayish at the moment.

On first diag I was depressed about the changes in diet I couldn't imagine making at the time, the dramatic weight loss, the way walking to the local shops exhausted me. I felt like I had aged 50 years in a space of a few months, and I didn't know that things would get better. That was a bleak time.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden

I have never suffered from mental health problems (nor "issues" - why can't we use plain words?); but there is no option to respond with "No". I hope no-one will interpret the results as being representative of the diabetic population, because it automatically excludes those who have been able to cope without affecting our mental health.

kellibabi

Type 2 seems to run in my family - Dads Mum had it, Dad has it (insulin), my brother has it (insulin).
I was diagnosed after losing my other Nan - they think the stress may have brought it on & that at 35 I'd 'gotten away' with not having it for quite a while.

I'm curently on Metformin, Simvastatin, Sitagliptin, Folic Acid & some other tablet I can't remember.
Soon to be put onto Bydureon.

I went through the usual stages - anger, upset, denial etc, etc.
Was never mentioned to me (on diagnosis or since) about depression, stress or any other mental health issues that diabetes may trigger/have an effect on.

I admit, I have good days & bad days like lots of people but the bad days seem REALLY bad - i.e - just want to give up.
Sometimes have to have a little word with myself to buck my ideas up as I KNOW there are people a LOT worse off than me (as I see every day in my place of work). There are also times when I wonder if I should talk to my DN or GP about it BUT you hear horror stories like the woman who had been treated for depression who had Social Services at her bedside when she gave birth (I'm not pregnant by the way - just hope to have kids one day) as they thought she might be a danger to her child - they were ready to take her child away based on the strength that she was once depressed! (Feel like someone might have 'reported' her out of spite though).

Think I'd rather struggle on than worry about THAT!

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hate testing so much each day.

Yes, I am type 2 I have always been told that my depression, anxiety and stress is related to my diabetes the past 2 years have been really bad mentally does anyone have anger issues mine have been really bad
Margaretlynn

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Suggest you add a 'No' option to the poll.

equipoise

How on earth can you have a poll with the question 'have you ever had...?' when there is no option for 'no'?? This is absurd.
'If you have ever had mental health issues relating to diabetes, what were they?', perhaps?

renee

Only in tne past year. Iv'e had overwhelming horrible feelings. But it passes . No Idea why. Its like a cloud hanging over me. :(

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.

equipoise said:
How on earth can you have a poll with the question 'have you ever had...?' when there is no option for 'no'?? This is absurd.
'If you have ever had mental health issues relating to diabetes, what were they?', perhaps?
The poll question has now been changed :)

equipoise

Thanks Giverny!
It might still have been interesting to know which percentage of correspondents had not had mental problems related to diabetes, but never mind.

A

Anonymous

equipoise said:
Thanks Giverny!
It might still have been interesting to know which percentage of correspondents had not had mental problems related to diabetes, but never mind.

Juts don't reply to the poll. Then it'll be left with the results of those who have. They're coming to take me away...ha! ha!

tiger449

Yes! Depression in trying to cope with being unable to follow the adventurous lifestyle I had been able to follow prior to diagnosis. All I can do now at best, is to watch other people enjoying things I used to be able to do. I can no longer actively partake in parachuting, flying ultralight aircraft, operate my 16ft. Fletcher speedboat. I'm virtually housebound now due to diabetic complications particularly affecting circulation problems in my lower leg, ankles and feet (P.A.D). I find it a struggle to walk due to peripheral neuropathy. Regarding food, everything I enjoy is on the red or Amber list; Foods on the green list I try to avoid where possible. I remember "The Warcry" published by the Salvation Army, once carried out a major survey centred on the non-Salvationist community to get their definition of "SIN". The agreed definition by % was: "Anything which brings you pleasure". I find it like that with diabetes. If you enjoy it, it is bad for you; if you find it boring or bland, it is good for you. E.g: My breakfast every day comprises: Fried egg, back bacon, mushrooms, hash brown, 2 fish-fingers. Life is really becoming a burden to me these days; not something to be treasured.

Trinity_32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish

Not sure which came first, my Diabetes or my mental health problems. However was diagnosed at 12 with type 1, Anorexia and depression at 15 and bipolar at 30. Coincidence? Perhaps. I find mental health services in my area are appalling and are only getting worse with budget cuts, etc. I pay for therapy privately and have been discharged by the local mental health team as they felt there was no more they could offer me.

nicky_gg1

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at 4yrs of age, she is now 11. She has just started to attend sessions with a clinical psychologist because of her feelings about having diabetes.