Have you managed to get prescriptions for extended travel?

goji

Hi

I'm going travelling for 4.5 months in Europe. I'm wondering if anyone here has managed to get prescriptions of insulin/test strips etc for an extended period to take away or were your doctors unhelpful/unwilling?

Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Mr Happy

Re: Have you managed to get prescriptions for extended trave

I just put in my repeat requests a week or so apart and stock the fridge. When at the chemist ask for the longest date they have. Always over estimate and remember the need for refrigeration. ..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jcdevine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm going travelling for 4.5 months in Europe. I'm wondering if anyone here has managed to get prescriptions of insulin/test strips etc for an extended period to take away or were your doctors unhelpful/unwilling?

Thanks
Hi Goji
I have plans to go for a whole year, so am interested in how you got on. I have built up a stock of insulin but take several tablets that require a new prescription every month. I think the NHS does not officially cover you if you are out of the country for more than 3 months, so officially you are required to register in the country you are staying in. That's pretty awkward if you are moving on every couple of days! We plan to go in our motorhome as far as Morocco, and keep moving. I'd love to hear from anyone with similar experiences.

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My son is leaving for a 6 month placement in Central & South America and his GP originally said a month ago that the prescription would be no problem but when he tried to actually get enough supplies for the trip a different GP in the practice said the limit was 3 months supplies and he would need a private prescription for the rest. Having discussed the potential problems of running out half way between Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Colombia, we have just paid £240 for a private prescription for the rest.
Added to the highly expensive gap year insurance (£380 as he had DKA the week before he bought the insurance), this essential part of his university course is becoming VERY expensive. Be warned and save up some spare stock beforehand.

jcdevine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is leaving for a 6 month placement in Central & South America and his GP originally said a month ago that the prescription would be no problem but when he tried to actually get enough supplies for the trip a different GP in the practice said the limit was 3 months supplies and he would need a private prescription for the rest. Having discussed the potential problems of running out half way between Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Colombia, we have just paid £240 for a private prescription for the rest.
Added to the highly expensive gap year insurance (£380 as he had DKA the week before he bought the insurance), this essential part of his university course is becoming VERY expensive. Be warned and save up some spare stock beforehand.

It's awful that you had to pay that! I have been travelling now for 11 months, though have visited the UK twice in that time. At the last contact with my GP and pharmacy, they let me have a 6 month prescription, and it was all done over the phone, with a neighbour picking up the prescription and posting it to my Mum. i think you have to pick your words carefully. I explained that I would be visiting home for short periods, mainly over weekends, so it would be preferable to just have the stock in advance. I will always try to accumulate more than I need in my fridge though! You never know what might happen. I hope your son has an amazing experience in America.

diggerfrank

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hot currys.indian food.
just a thing about keeping stuff in the fridge.. i've been injecting insulin for more than 45 years.. never kept it in the fridge.. always in a draw at room temp..no problems..my currant stock doesn't go out of date for 2 years....

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
just a thing about keeping stuff in the fridge.. i've been injecting insulin for more than 45 years.. never kept it in the fridge.. always in a draw at room temp..no problems..my currant stock doesn't go out of date for 2 years....

Hi digger frank, this is really interesting as I've always been told that life expectancy outside the fridge was about a month and I've recently been using my pen for bolusing instead of pump and the cartridge has been out the fridge for just over 2 months plus and seems to be fine, not that I'm saying this is the correct way to go but I've never worried about the pen being out the fridge so do others ever have this scenario?

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Insulin oges off if over 30C for any time- which does not usually happen in Europe ( might this week) but will if you go anywhere more exotic. My Brother-in-Law ( also T1) travelled to Kenya few years ago & the fridge didn't work & his insulin went cloudy and almost stopped working so he had to inject 4 times more than the normal dose for the last 4 days of the holiday in order to get any reduction in BS at all.
Don't take the chance, Use a Frio wallet if you are going somewhere hot in the summer.

Reactions: 2 people