Haven’t ate nothing all morning yet my sugar level is 15.5??

smahmo99

Woke up and tested myself it was a respectable 8.4 had an interview so didn’t have time to get breakfast or eat anything just drank water. Now my sugar level is 15.5. Weird thing is this has been happening quite frequently to me. Changed from levemir to lantus the same thing is happening to me.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @smahmo99 Couple of things to factor in here - firstly if you don't eat upon waking then you can get a dump of glucose from your liver called Dawn Phenomenon and also there's a possibility that you could of experienced some stress from your interview which again can cause further issues with your levels rising, if you eat and take your bolus upon waking it should help.

Reactions: smahmo99 and ert

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Woke up and tested myself it was a respectable 8.4 had an interview so didn’t have time to get breakfast or eat anything just drank water. Now my sugar level is 15.5. Weird thing is this has been happening quite frequently to me. Changed from levemir to lantus the same thing is happening to me.

Absolutely agree with @Juicyj. Stress can cause massive rises in BG. I have to do a lot of public speaking for my job and the minute I stand up and start speaking I can see an up arrow on my CGM. It can take hours to go down sometimes and insulin has very little effect once the rise has started. I have to counter it by taking insulin before a stressful situation and sometimes taking more Levemir in the morning. It's trial and error but you definitely can't just wake up, take no insulin and expect your BG to stay stable.