Having A Bad Run With Infections

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been on a total of 15 days of antibiotics (2 different courses) over the past 4 weeks. I've just finished the antibiotics yesterday and my sugar levels still haven't gone back to my usual, plus I've got a mild fever. ugh. I now have to wait a minimum of 72 hours to get a retest anyhow to see if the infection has gone or not. I go and pick up the pathology request on Tuesday. I'm finding having this bladder disease on top of diabetes is not working for me too well. I'm at risk from infection if my sugars are running high, I'm at risk of infection for using catheters (I'm supposed to use them at least twice daily), and I'm at risk of infection from retention the bladder disease causes if I don't use a catheter because stale urine breeds bacteria. Do you think I'm winning here? It's so frustrating. I've got an inkling I'm not out of the woods with the infection as yet going by my sugar levels and fever. I'm having to use a lot more insulin and it is still running on the high side. This is the problem with me too if I get one UTI, I seem to get a few more in quick succession then I have a long period where I don't have any but still have to get tested regularly because this disease has the exact same symptoms.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I hear you. My UTI/BG vicious cycle is not as bad as yours but I have an inkling of the conundrum you face.

Not knowing any more about you than the above post, a couple of things:

I was told by my GP last time that even if the urine culture comes back negative for infection, they can still prescribe ABs based on symptoms. People with our risk factors need that more than a person with no additional risk factors does. Also, there are stronger ABs available in hospital if it comes to that. (I was once on ABs for 6 months to clear a skin infection, which I hated doing but it was effective in stopping it from coming back).

I don't use catheterisation but I have read that having surgery to allow catheterisation through a port that sits on the outside of the body at the front (suprapubic is the term IIRC) has been shown to better prevent UTIs than placement through the urethra.

Hang in there, I think you are doing all you can to manage it right now but if things get worse, please get medical help whatever time of night it is.

I know that when I have a UTI or its aftermath I feel depressed, anxious, very fatigued and I have brain fog. So I want to reach through the fog to reassure you that someone else understands your frustration and fears. Things are often easier to bear in the morning, too.

Best of luck from a woman with irritable bladder syndrome and T2 diabetes.

Reactions: Mep

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We are wriggled with Scarlet Fever. 11yr old diagnosed weeks ag after 5yr old. 11yr old has now severe case of tonsillitis with rash and fever.
A miserable 2wk holiday.

Ps. I've just finished my 3rd course of antibiotics for stomach/intestine infection and then throat infection.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I hear you. My UTI/BG vicious cycle is not as bad as yours but I have an inkling of the conundrum you face.

Not knowing any more about you than the above post, a couple of things:

I was told by my GP last time that even if the urine culture comes back negative for infection, they can still prescribe ABs based on symptoms. People with our risk factors need that more than a person with no additional risk factors does. Also, there are stronger ABs available in hospital if it comes to that. (I was once on ABs for 6 months to clear a skin infection, which I hated doing but it was effective in stopping it from coming back).

I don't use catheterisation but I have read that having surgery to allow catheterisation through a port that sits on the outside of the body at the front (suprapubic is the term IIRC) has been shown to better prevent UTIs than placement through the urethra.

Hang in there, I think you are doing all you can to manage it right now but if things get worse, please get medical help whatever time of night it is.

I know that when I have a UTI or its aftermath I feel depressed, anxious, very fatigued and I have brain fog. So I want to reach through the fog to reassure you that someone else understands your frustration and fears. Things are often easier to bear in the morning, too.

Best of luck from a woman with irritable bladder syndrome and T2 diabetes.

Thanks Jenny :)

My doc can't prescribe the antibiotics based on symptoms alone for me because the disease I have means I live with UTI symptoms 24/7 anyhow. I haven't had a break from the symptoms since it started in 2013. So for me it's a case I have to get the lab test done every single time. I've been told I need to get tested fortnightly, or at least monthly. It's a real nuisance. I can also get infections where I don't notice as I don't get a fever or much change to sugar levels.... other times I get both or one or the other. There are times when I think I may have a UTI as well and the test result doesn't show that.... that happens for most of the tests I get done. I always get an abnormal test result too... but infection is not always present, although blood is.

Yes, I've heard of that procedure you mention and it's called Urinary diversion (ileal conduit) where there is a port placed and it's attached to a bag. But surgical options for this disease I have is a last resort as often it doesn't get rid of the disease. Eg. people can go as far as getting their bladder removed and still live with the symptoms of it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Mep is your bgs good or not great? Below 7.8mml/l?
I find only in times of high bgs do I get infections but used to be water infections only. Now I'm getting infections in my digestion and now mostly throat due to little ones with Scarlet Fever.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mep is your bgs good or not great? Below 7.8mml/l?
I find only in times of high bgs do I get infections but used to be water infections only. Now I'm getting infections in my digestion and now mostly throat due to little ones with Scarlet Fever.

At the moment not so great as mostly get figures between 7-15... although mind you I got my lowest number of 5.6 this morning in days... maybe I'm starting to get a bit better... I hope so. I've been waking up between 7-9 for weeks since infection started and it's usually downhill from there. So fingers crossed I can get it back to my usual numbers and usually I'm in normal range a good 75% of the time.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
At the moment not so great as mostly get figures between 7-15... although mind you I got my lowest number of 5.6 this morning in days... maybe I'm starting to get a bit better... I hope so. I've been waking up between 7-9 for weeks since infection started and it's usually downhill from there. So fingers crossed I can get it back to my usual numbers and usually I'm in normal range a good 75% of the time.
I'm sure your body is like mine. Slow to react but does eventually.
I'm taking double the insulin since my infections started and stopped metformin for IBS symptoms.

I'd be interested in when I'm getting somogyi effect. I might have to buy a libre after all.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure your body is like mine. Slow to react but does eventually.
I'm taking double the insulin since my infections started and stopped metformin for IBS symptoms.

I'd be interested in when I'm getting somogyi effect. I might have to buy a libre after all.

Yes, you sound like me. I'm going to get a test this week to see if I'm in the clear or not.

I'm waiting for the freestyle libre to become available on our NDSS scheme as at the moment it costs about $95 fortnightly to use it. If it can be subsidised I may give it a go. I'm up to my teeth with medical expenses at the moment.

I'm using a lot more insulin too. I gave myself too much at one point last week and wound up with a hypo, and other times take the same units and still high. It's frustrating looking at the numbers... but can't let it get to me. I'm just trying to please everything for now. I'm probably going to get in trouble by my physio's as I've not been able to do some of the things they've requested with this infection. I definitely haven't used catheters. I had to go and source some better catheters too.... haven't tried them yet so don't know if they're going to be better or not. ugh. Trying to buy catheters here is a pain in the butt... I had to go to a medical warehouse to get this lot and there is no subsidy I can get for it. I'm going to apply for a disability scheme to see if they will cover it (it's a govt program still being rolled out). I have the paper work and have to get my doc to approve, etc. I don't understand why they can't make things simple for accessing supplies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenny15

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Yes, you sound like me. I'm going to get a test this week to see if I'm in the clear or not.

I'm waiting for the freestyle libre to become available on our NDSS scheme as at the moment it costs about $95 fortnightly to use it. If it can be subsidised I may give it a go. I'm up to my teeth with medical expenses at the moment.

I'm using a lot more insulin too. I gave myself too much at one point last week and wound up with a hypo, and other times take the same units and still high. It's frustrating looking at the numbers... but can't let it get to me. I'm just trying to please everything for now. I'm probably going to get in trouble by my physio's as I've not been able to do some of the things they've requested with this infection. I definitely haven't used catheters. I had to go and source some better catheters too.... haven't tried them yet so don't know if they're going to be better or not. ugh. Trying to buy catheters here is a pain in the butt... I had to go to a medical warehouse to get this lot and there is no subsidy I can get for it. I'm going to apply for a disability scheme to see if they will cover it (it's a govt program still being rolled out). I have the paper work and have to get my doc to approve, etc. I don't understand why they can't make things simple for accessing supplies.
I feel the same way. With multiple long term conditions there is so much learning, navigating, and transacting to do in order to keep on top of things, and that's along with acute and chronic fatigue, brain fog and other issues. I wish the health "system"s we each live under would lay on for us a few hours a month of a health navigator person but I know it's too much to ask financially. There are social workers and others... I need to find out what I can access and there hasn't been time for anything like that lately. I certainly empathise with you.

Reactions: Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well... still not out of the woods... another infection so 10 day course of antibiotics again. ugh. I'm so exhausted.