Having a few problems.

peterw125

Hi I am new to the forum but not very new to diabetes. I am having a few problems with my medication which I hope some of you may be able to shed light on.
First a bit about me, I am male, 54, 16 st, diagnosed in ‘93 as T2, started with diet, then tablets and then in June 2007 went on to insulin(Novomix30). In Jan 2008 I started to itch at the injection site after every injection. I tried a lot of different needles before changing to Humalog 25 in March 2008. I did not get on too well(bs high) with this so went on to Humalog 50 which I am still on (40 units am, 56 units pm together with 850 mg am and 1000mg pm of Metformin).
I get a local reaction to almost all injections (itching and a slight swelling) but over the last year I have had 5 serious reactions to the injections (2 this month). With these reactions I feel sick with in 1 min of doing the injection, I then go hot and cold, then each injection site used in the last few months comes up like a mozie bite and itches for the next hr or so, all symptoms usually are gone after about 3 hrs. I tested my bs during one of these reactions and it went from 7.5 to 4.0 in 20 min, leading me to suspect that I may have injected into a blood vessel of some type. After each reaction my readings return to normal (my average at the moment is about 6.5). I am wondering if I am allergic to one or more of the components in the Humalog but from the info I have found all manufactures use very similar components in their mixed insulin’s, maybe it is time for a complete rethink of my medication.

Katharine

Some people react badly to certain insulins and even the actual needles.

Try a change of needle manufacturer and then try a different insulin. I know one woman who is allergic to the lubricant on BD needles but not novofine and one woman who is allergic to novorapid but not humalog.

peterw125

Thanks for the reply katharine, I have tried 3 different needles including Comfort point - which are latex free. I am thinking of asking the practice nurse about the SQ-Pen neddelless injection system.