Hb A1c

broads

Hb A1c test. Pardon me if it's a silly question but does this test determine the next course of action, so to speak? Ie for me whether I am still ok on diet and excercise or whether I might need to go on to medication. Is this the point of this test?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Broads,

In many respects it does exactly that, otherwise what would be the point in having it done. In the early stages HBA1C should be tested every 3 months, and each test covers a 3 month period, so will tell your GP how your control has been since the last test. That will determine whether he/she thinks you can control things with diet and exercise alone; or diet, exercise and medication; and what kind of medication. What the GP will be looking for is a steady reduction each time you are tested.

broads

Thanks for that Dennis. I have my first test tomorrow morning. Over the last three months I have walked my little legs off, lost a stone and a half and almost completely changed my diet to low carbs so am hoping for good results. My normal BS levels are usually in the 5s and lower6s.