HbA1c 9% is that bad?

kaazoom

I recently had my HbA1c test and it has gone up from 6% to 9% my doctor has now doubled my metformin and said it wasn't too bad, just a little blip. I am wondering if he is correct as it sounds like a big jump to me. Is a HbA1c of 9% that high?

pav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say that's bad as it puts you up towards the amber section of the HbA1c levels as can be seen on this link just enter your values in the converter http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

A few months ago I had 7.5 % HbA1c results and my BS levels when I tested myself were in the teens to the 20.s. Do you have a meter to test yourself, if not I would ring one of the meter companies like Bayer, Abbott Medisense, Life Scan, or Accu Chek etc as they will more than likely send you one free.

These meters generally come with 10 strips to start you off, then approach your gp to get test strips, but this can be a post code lottery as if they will provide strips on prescription. You have a good reason to ask for strips as you need to find outs what food etc is causing the highs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. An Hba1ic of 9.0% isn't good and I can't understand why the GP said it's a blip. By definition the HBa1c is a 3 month average; hardly a blip. That HBa1C level needs action as NICE Pathways give 7.5% as the level to stay below and the Metformin increase will have little effect. Are you on a low-carb diet? If not then adjust your diet to have, say, a max of 150gm/day of carbs. How old are you and what has the HBa1C trend been since diagnosis. If you are not overweight and quite young then let us know as your diabetes type diagnosis may need to be reviewed.

kaazoom

Thank you for your replies. I have checked it in the HbA1c converter and it comes out at 11.7 mmol/L! I guess that means my average BG level is 11.7 mmol/L which does seem to be really high. I think I need to see my GP again about this.

I do have a meter which my diabetes nurse gave me. At first I was using it regularly but actually found it really demotivating as no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get my BG down, plus my GP said my HbA1c showed I was doing fine. I talked to him about monitoring my BG when I saw him last time and he was pretty insistent that people with type 2 diabetes do not need to monitor their BG. Unfortunately I stopped ordering testing strips for a couple of months awhile ago which meant it was removed from my repeat prescription. I am going to try and get them added again, but I won't be holding my breath.

What is particularly disappointing is I have lost weight during the period between my last HbA1c. I had cut out potatoes, bread and all sweets, although I very rarely eat sweets anyway. I have tried to lose weight but find it difficult. My calorie intake is about what it should be for a adult man. The problem I have is cannot exercise due to other health issues. I have ME/CFS which causes severe muscle and cognitive fatigue amongst a number of other problems that I won't bore you with. I have been wearing a pedometer everyday for the last few months to monitor my physical activity and have managed to increase my physical activity from about 1,700 steps a say to 2,500 this is next to nothing in terms of activity, but I have hit a wall. Pushing past this leads to even more extreme symptoms - and I'm not just talking mild muscle aches from doing more. It's very hard to explain ME/CFS to people who haven't experienced it, I know I didn't understand how devastating it is until I got it in late 2005. Before that time I had always done active physical jobs, but my illness has been such that I haven't been able to work since. I am sure my lack of physical activity is a contributing factor to my diabetes.

It is really frustrating and I don't really know the way forward. One thing I may do is change GPs as he isn't very supportive generally, I know there is one doctor at the surgery I go to who has a special interest in diabetes. I will try and get moved to her as she may be more helpful.

kaazoom

I found some tests strips that are still in date and tested my BG this morning. It was 9.9 before breakfast and 13.3 three hours after. I had a bowl of porridge without sugar for breakfast which is what I usually have. I had my metformin before breakfast. Looks like my BG is definitely not under control, and I'm wondering if the extra metformin has done much. I definitely need to get on top of this.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Kaazoom, I love porridge but cannot now eat it as it spikes my B/G levels, I now eat eggs for breakfast. I urgently suggest you go low carb to get B/G levels under control. Take a look at the Low Carb sections on this forum, absorb the information and this will get you healthier, best wishes, Deb

kaazoom

diadeb said:
Kaazoom, I love porridge but cannot now eat it as it spikes my B/G levels, I now eat eggs for breakfast. I urgently suggest you go low carb to get B/G levels under control. Take a look at the Low Carb sections on this forum, absorb the information and this will get you healthier, best wishes, Deb

Thank you Deb. my diabetes nurse and a nutritionist said porridge is a ideal breakfast for someone with diabetes. But it doesn't seem to be good for me. I will have a look at low carbing. My only problem with low carb diets is the cost of the food when money is tight.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your DN and nutritionist are wrong (surprise!). Porridge is not good for a diabetic with high blood sugar and who is trying to lose weight. I do have home-made muesli but small portions, not cooked and mixed with nuts etc. I also have egg and bacon. I agree with Daideb that the only way forward is to set a tough carb target level e.g. 150gm/day or less. Note that the recommended calorie intake levels specified by the experts for the average inactive person is too high which is why there are a lot of obese people around. Not being able to exercise obviously doesn't help but at least you are doing your best.

maxell

9 isn't good at all. I mean, that will get you on the road to diabetic complications. I know some diabetics with well-controlled A1c with complications. Some with 5.7 A1c's still have diabetic neuropathy! According to Dr. Bernstein, the really ideal A1c is 4.1 to 4.5 or so. I don't think diabetics can achieve that unless we get ourselves on his 12-12-6 carbs diet. But most t2 diabetics with good remaining beta cells can do 5.1-5.7, if they limit carbs to about 100-150 grams per day. I do 100-150g and fall within that range with no problem.

Type2_2000

I absolutely agree with Maxwell. Im a T2 and back in March my Hba1c was 88mmol or 10.3. My consultant gave me 3 months to do somrthing about my level it he'd have to consider more drugs and I looked in to low carb. I reduced my carb intake to 100mg a day. I had a Hba1c just over a week ago and my new result was 48mmol or 6.5. I don't suggest you get down to good figures that quickly (I've had to bring forward any eye check to tomorrow as I'm worried I may have affected my retinopathy - wish me luck!), but it surprising how a few changes in diet can make a huge difference. Ive also lost 12kg.

Whatever you do, don't be too hard on yourself and do it gradually.

I wish you all the very best.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: timbo_dolman

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I also have ME/CFS and I'm housebound at present. It's very tough when you can't walk far, never mind exercise. You may find that you need to reduce your carbs considerably if you are inactive, which in ME terms is much less than the average 'sedentary' person. I don't recommend high fat if you are not active or spend a lot of the day resting because you won't burn up the calories. I cannot exercise or do much at all so I'm focusing on my diet. Protein and lots of veg and salad works for me, and a small portion of nuts. I am pre-D and diet is my only option to keep my numbers down.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

P

pollensa

I recently had my HbA1c test and it has gone up from 6% to 9% my doctor has now doubled my metformin and said it wasn't too bad, just a little blip. I am wondering if he is correct as it sounds like a big jump to me. Is a HbA1c of 9% that high?

Hello I only joined yesterday, so don't know if anyone will read this reply. Regards your A1C, I can only say, its all very confusing, regards what numbers are correct, we must all not forget, the X levels as I understand correctly, are ALL arbitrary chosen, acknowledged by the Committees and Who, at whim random. Your in UK, and I am in Mallorca. 6% to 9% surely that may require a 2nd Testing to ensure no marginal error? Why don't you ask your Doc the possibility for peace of mind.

It truly depends where one is time of being diagnosed, and/or get results of your test. For example.

Mallorca

I had an A1C Dec 8.1% with an inconsistent sugar average against this. Keep in mind there is up to 15% marginal 0.5 and one tenth error margins. 1st April 2nd A1C results 6.5% brought down I might add NO MEDICATIONS, simply, exercise, diet lifestyle change, and absolutely no bread, pasta, potatoes or rice. Substituting all those for much more delicious foods and exciting new recipes!

Doctors viewing at this excellent reducement from 8.1% to 6.5% in four months no medication was disbelief. I might add I informed him I thankfully put my metform down the toilet, no disrespect to him, but lifestyle change was working well for myself.

Initially, 8.1% he informed was very high Diabetic range.

Here it comes the "where you live " re results.

6.5% in spain this is the X over number if one is sitting on this number you are viewed Diabetic!??? and not pre diabetic which is 6% up to 6.5%.

In Australia, if I was on 6.5% they view as pre diabetic with further test in 6 months.

I think what ever the numbers are on finger real blood testing, or A1C, the best approach is to view with some flexibility and one should not worry.

To help further re differences and raises up or down.

UK finger fasting test real blood below or on 108mg/dl one is normal to my understanding. However, if ones results is 109mg/dl one falls into the category of Pre Diabetes. This seems sense and reasonable.

Spain, fasting real blood is 100mg/dl NOT 108mg/dl. So, here in spain if one is below 100mg/dl yes your viewed normal, wait for it, "depends where you live", if you are SITTING on 100mg/dl you are viewed PRE DIABTIC. Anything over 100mg/dl to 126mg/dl your PreDiabetic also.

All figures are arbitrary at the end of the day, so I would suggest, simply request your Doctor to have a 2nd A1C to see if the 9% the higher level is correct?

Hope this assists

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I only joined yesterday, so don't know if anyone will read this reply. Regards your A1C, I can only say, its all very confusing, regards what numbers are correct, we must all not forget, the X levels as I understand correctly, are ALL arbitrary chosen, acknowledged by the Committees and Who, at whim random. Your in UK, and I am in Mallorca. 6% to 9% surely that may require a 2nd Testing to ensure no marginal error? Why don't you ask your Doc the possibility for peace of mind.

It truly depends where one is time of being diagnosed, and/or get results of your test. For example.

Mallorca

I had an A1C Dec 8.1% with an inconsistent sugar average against this. Keep in mind there is up to 15% marginal 0.5 and one tenth error margins. 1st April 2nd A1C results 6.5% brought down I might add NO MEDICATIONS, simply, exercise, diet lifestyle change, and absolutely no bread, pasta, potatoes or rice. Substituting all those for much more delicious foods and exciting new recipes!

Doctors viewing at this excellent reducement from 8.1% to 6.5% in four months no medication was disbelief. I might add I informed him I thankfully put my metform down the toilet, no disrespect to him, but lifestyle change was working well for myself.

6.5% in spain this is the X over number if one is sitting on this number you are viewed Diabetic!??? and not pre diabetic which is 6% up to 6.5%.

In Australia, if I was on 6.5% they view as pre diabetic with further test in 6 months.

I think what ever the numbers are on finger real blood testing, or A1C, the best approach is to view with some flexibility and one should not worry.

UK finger fasting test real blood below or on 108mg/dl one is normal to my understanding. However, if ones results is 109mg/dl one falls into the category of Pre Diabetes. This seems sense and reasonable.

Spain, fasting real blood is 100mg/dl NOT 108mg/dl. So, here in spain if one is below 100mg/dl yes your viewed normal, wait for it, "depends where you live", if you are SITTING on 100mg/dl you are viewed PRE DIABTIC. Anything over 100mg/dl to 126mg/dl your PreDiabetic also.

All figures are arbitrary at the end of the day, so I would suggest, simply request your Doctor to have a 2nd A1C to see if the 9% the higher level is correct?

Hope this assists

Pollensa - You seemed to be responding to Kazoom. I just felt it worthwhile pointing out that Kazoom was last active on the site in 2013. He may still read, but not post, of course.

P

pollensa

Mallorca

Hope this assists

P

pollensa

Pollensa - You seemed to be responding to Kazoom. I just felt it worthwhile pointing out that Kazoom was last active on the site in 2013. He may still read, but not post, of course.

Oh dear, first day replying seem not to understand how this chat works, my goodness who on earth is Kazoom or what is Kazoom 2013. My reply to H1C 6% to 9% is showing on the site, perhaps you could kindly guide and tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you so much.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh dear, first day replying seem not to understand how this chat works, my goodness who on earth is Kazoom or what is Kazoom 2013. My reply to H1C 6% to 9% is showing on the site, perhaps you could kindly guide and tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you so much.
Kazoom is the username of the person who started this post back in 2013. Check the top of the post and it will tell you this.
You aren't doing anything wrong, but this person may no longer be an active member so won't see your reply.
It's probably better to respond to newer posts, or even start your own :)
Welcome to the forum!