hba1c and pre diabetes

potty pet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi,
I have just joined today.
I had hba1c done in November and was told by the nurse it was normal. I have since looked into levels in more detail and realised that my level of 42 is in the pre diabetic zone. This is not a total surprise as I had gestational diabetes and have kept an eye on my blood sugars for years. I am just wandering why the GP passed it off at normal and didn't give me any advice.
I can only assume that its because it was just into the pre diabetic zone.

I am trying a low carb diet and I try to do plenty of exercise....any other suggestions to stop it from going higher.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,
I have just joined today.
I had hba1c done in November and was told by the nurse it was normal. I have since looked into levels in more detail and realised that my level of 42 is in the pre diabetic zone. This is not a total surprise as I had gestational diabetes and have kept an eye on my blood sugars for years. I am just wandering why the GP passed it off at normal and didn't give me any advice.
I can only assume that its because it was just into the pre diabetic zone.

I am trying a low carb diet and I try to do plenty of exercise....any other suggestions to stop it from going higher.

Hi @potty pet ,

The reference information given on this site states that you're prediabetic if your a1c is 42 to 47 mmol/mol. So using this criteria you really would be right on the bottom limit.

Maybe your doc felt it wasn't worth doing anything about just yet? If you're already low carbing and exrcising then I suggest that maybe you just monitor the situation closely. Are you testing yourself at home or just relying on the blood tests done by your doctor?

potty pet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @potty pet ,

The reference information given on this site states that you're prediabetic if your a1c is 42 to 47 mmol/mol. So using this criteria you really would be right on the bottom limit.

Maybe your doc felt it wasn't worth doing anything about just yet? If you're already low carbing and exrcising then I suggest that maybe you just monitor the situation closely. Are you testing yourself at home or just relying on the blood tests done by your doctor?
Hi,
I do test at home and I know if I eat certain things such as vedge burgers my BS can go up to 12. I do realise that he probably thinks I know more about my sugar levels than most...but cany understand why the nurse didn't say I was at the lower limit .

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,
I do test at home and I know if I eat certain things such as vedge burgers my BS can go up to 12. I do realise that he probably thinks I know more about my sugar levels than most...but cany understand why the nurse didn't say I was at the lower limit .

Having been a member here for almost 2 years now and reading many similar posts, I think the lack of information given to patients, often seems to be the result of a lack of knowledge on the part of the healthcare provider. Could be a different reason in your case but it's not uncommon.