HbA1c Blood Sugar 72mml reading and dizziness

paulsutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I havent long been diagnosed with Type 2 - had a very stressful 24 months with divorce, work etc etc (who hasnt at the moment?!) Recently had an MOT with new doctor and had the above result come back. Ive probably had this for a while - doc says putting on Metaformin will make me feel better - I told her I dont feel unwell, however she has said I may have got so used to feeling a bit flat a nd tired all of the time.

However I have noticied something quite scary past few weeks - im getting episodes of feeling dizzy if I seem to focus on something moving or complex...sounds a bit odd i know but was walking on decking and suddenly after looking down I got dizzy - only lasted a few seconds but its happened a few times before...not if Im getting up or anything like that...seems to be more connected to eyes.

Obviously I need to speak to the doctor but im wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

My HbA1c reading is obviously high so im guessing this has a lot to do with it?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Your blood sugar is quite high, so getting it down should help a lot and prevent more serious complications later.

Many of us succeeded in reducing our blood sugar by cutting out carbs.
I went low carb as soon as I was diagnosed - but I comfort eat so had to find ways of keeping on track and satisfying my sweet tooth (other don't find this such a problem!). It is possible to eat a healthy low carb diet and have treats if you need them, just different treats than before.
If you can find foods that your really enjoy then staying low carb is fairly easy. I did it by joining the low carb program but people here can give you recipes and tips depending on your preferences and lifestyle.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I havent long been diagnosed with Type 2 - had a very stressful 24 months with divorce, work etc etc (who hasnt at the moment?!) Recently had an MOT with new doctor and had the above result come back. Ive probably had this for a while - doc says putting on Metaformin will make me feel better - I told her I dont feel unwell, however she has said I may have got so used to feeling a bit flat a nd tired all of the time.

However I have noticied something quite scary past few weeks - im getting episodes of feeling dizzy if I seem to focus on something moving or complex...sounds a bit odd i know but was walking on decking and suddenly after looking down I got dizzy - only lasted a few seconds but its happened a few times before...not if Im getting up or anything like that...seems to be more connected to eyes.

Obviously I need to speak to the doctor but im wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

My HbA1c reading is obviously high so im guessing this has a lot to do with it?
I've had the same feeling of vertigo you're describing, I never associated it with my diabetes though. But that could explain why my sister-in-law's hectic wallpaper pattern makes the entire room spin for me. Anyway, I don't know if it's diabetes related or more of an inner-ear thing, (diabetics are prone to tinnitus and such...), but ... Getting some control of your blood sugars might indeed help. Your HbA1c is at a level where I seriously doubt Metformin'll make much of a dent though, so if you want to be proactive and tackle your diabetes properly, low carb is usually the way to go. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ should help some with getting started with it.

I don't know whether it'll solve the vertigo, but it should tackle quite a few other things you didn't even realise were bothering you.

Good luck!
Jo

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
High blood sugar is probably affecting your eyesight. Once you start low carb it will get better (after a short period of getting worse). Its because the sugars make the fluid blurry, and as you first low carb more sugar will be released from the fat storage, but it does clear.
Like wise dizziness may be because of a lack of salt if you are used to a lot of prepared food. Once you start using and cooking real food you may need to add salt.
Dizzyness can also be from low blood pressure. I had it a lot in the early months as I lost a lot of weight quite rapidly but it seems to have gone now, or I've got used to it.
A magnesium supplement may help too