hba1c confusion!

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Since being diagnosed at the end of Aug with an hba1c of 103 and high ketone levels it has been a bit of a roller coaster to say the least! They originally suspected type 1 but one antibody test was negative and just waiting for the result of the 2nd one but the consultant said he now suspects that will be negative too....

I was on insulin and gliclazide for 1 month but haven't taken any since October 1st and last week my hba1c result was 35!!!! I'm just curious as to how I've done this and now wondering why it was so high before and whether something else caused it! I should be happy but I'm really scared and confused.

My liver function tests are abnormal (significantly so) and have gotten worse over the 3 months so I'm being referred for an urgent scan. I'm really panicking.

Thanks for reading, just needed to vent x

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi - its all a bit unclear and I'm sure its confusing, but the HbA1c result is excellent. I don't know enough about you obviously. Diet can as I'm sure you're aware both cause and control diabetes. What were you eating before the first test? Were you/are you overweight? It's certainly possible that change in diet and lifestyle could have altered things drastically in your favour. 35 is certainly not diabetic that I am aware of. I can't imagine a doctor prescribing anything for it, unless there's associated reasons (other health issues). Reasons for liver function being abnormal ? And by how much? the liver can often repair itself depending on the extent of the damage. I certainly wouldn't be scared, pal. A scan is a scan...wait n see...if there is a problem with the liver it may not be so difficult to sort...an any rate, the 35 is very good...so be pleased about that.
It's sounding like what may have been diabetes has reversed, indicating it was something you were consuming back then, but I am NO expert...speak to your doctor about what all this means - call him/her. Good luck.

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - its all a bit unclear and I'm sure its confusing, but the HbA1c result is excellent. I don't know enough about you obviously. Diet can as I'm sure you're aware both cause and control diabetes. What were you eating before the first test? Were you/are you overweight? It's certainly possible that change in diet and lifestyle could have altered things drastically in your favour. 35 is certainly not diabetic that I am aware of. I can't imagine a doctor prescribing anything for it, unless there's associated reasons (other health issues). Reasons for liver function being abnormal ? And by how much? the liver can often repair itself depending on the extent of the damage. I certainly wouldn't be scared, pal. A scan is a scan...wait n see...if there is a problem with the liver it may not be so difficult to sort...an any rate, the 35 is very good...so be pleased about that.
It's sounding like what may have been diabetes has reversed, indicating it was something you were consuming back then, but I am NO expert...speak to your doctor about what all this means - call him/her. Good luck.
Thanks so much for your reply. I have changed my diet and am eating a lot less carbs......I do have weight to lose but have lost over a stone since diagnosed.

I think the doctor's confused look worried me slightly!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Reactions: 4 people