HbA1c home test kits

DickM

Has anybody ever managed to obtain one of the 2 use kits and if so how good (accurate) are they.
Just fancy doing a test after 3 months to keep an eye on how I am doing :crazy:

A

Anonymous

I think you mean the A1CNow kits from Bayer. They have been discussed on here before (search for A1CNow) but I bought one of the 10 use ones through ebay - it was shipped out of California and took ages to come.
I use it once a month and I have one test left. It has been good for motivating me to try different approaches/dosages but it's not particularly cheap - about £120 for 10 uses I think. One thing that did catch me out was that there is quite a short shelf life on the kits - for me it was around 9 months when they arrived, so my initial plan of testing every 3 months went out the window.

Are they accurate. I have twice tested on the same day as my official HBA1C and found them within 0.3% of the 'official' reading. But the real benefit is that you can compare them against previous home readings.

They are simple to use. If you can use a meter then you can use one of these - though if you do get one then read the instructions very carefully - I didn't and wrote of two test sachets after a few months because I thought I remembered how to do it.

Swim