1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HBA1C post pump

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Poppy2, May 6, 2015.

1. Poppy2

Poppy2 Type 1 · Active Member

Morning everyone, I am now in my 4th month of pumping and have my first Consultant clinic follow up in a couple of weeks. I know at this early stage my HBA1C result may not yet reflect all the hard work I have put in but I am keen to hear of other people's experiences of that first follow up blood result! Many thanks

2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Poppy,
    in all honesty I can not remember what happened regarding my A1c as started pumping about 8 years ago.
    From reading accounts from other pumpers it can go 3 ways........ stay the same improve or increase. There's always a valid reason for all 3 so don't worry about the result.
    It's known as work in progress :)

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Not had mine yet as its due in the next few weeks, but I believe Hba1c's can often go up depending on how soon they make the appointment after starting on a pump, after all it can take weeks to get the basal rates right.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alison204

Alison204 Type 1 · Active Member

Hello Poppy,

My Hba1C had never gone below 8% since I was diagnosed in 2007 but my first appt 3 months after starting on my pump it had gone done to 7.4% - I was so happy I started blubbing!! But I had also started using the gym about 4 months prior to my appt so I don't know if that also helped reduce my levels.

I tried not to get my hopes up so don't get too disheartened if they haven't come down but I wish you all the best xxx

5. caretaker

caretaker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've got my first review next month and just looked on my pump contract which saids i need to be below 7.5 %.
    my pump software tells me my 4 week average is BG is 6.7.
    i used the Hba c1 calculator on this site and as far as i can make out i'm on track.but i might have got the sums wrong.

6. Alison204

Your pump contract? What's that? x

7. caretaker

Because i am NHS funded i had to sign a contract to say that i would meet certain targets if i dont they take the pump back..:(

i have to attended all appointments

download all my test resort at least once a week

keep in touch with my nurse by email or phone .

and meet Hbca1 of below 7.5%

8. Alison204

Blimey, what borough is your hospital in? I'm in Lambeth and didn't have to do any of that??!

9. caretaker

i live near southend. Essex but could get a pump from my local hospital and had to go to basildon about 20 miles away

10. Alison204

Oh I see, it seems daft how different boroughs have different rules. Getting my pump was one of the best things ever for me, you'd think the rules would be the same all over England!
    I guess we're lucky that we have one at least x

• Like Like x 2
  11. caretaker

very lucky :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook