HBA1C post pump

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone, I am now in my 4th month of pumping and have my first Consultant clinic follow up in a couple of weeks. I know at this early stage my HBA1C result may not yet reflect all the hard work I have put in but I am keen to hear of other people's experiences of that first follow up blood result! Many thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Poppy,
in all honesty I can not remember what happened regarding my A1c as started pumping about 8 years ago.
From reading accounts from other pumpers it can go 3 ways........ stay the same improve or increase. There's always a valid reason for all 3 so don't worry about the result.
It's known as work in progress :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not had mine yet as its due in the next few weeks, but I believe Hba1c's can often go up depending on how soon they make the appointment after starting on a pump, after all it can take weeks to get the basal rates right.

Reactions: 2 people

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Poppy,

My Hba1C had never gone below 8% since I was diagnosed in 2007 but my first appt 3 months after starting on my pump it had gone done to 7.4% - I was so happy I started blubbing!! But I had also started using the gym about 4 months prior to my appt so I don't know if that also helped reduce my levels.

I tried not to get my hopes up so don't get too disheartened if they haven't come down but I wish you all the best xxx

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've got my first review next month and just looked on my pump contract which saids i need to be below 7.5 %.
my pump software tells me my 4 week average is BG is 6.7.
i used the Hba c1 calculator on this site and as far as i can make out i'm on track.but i might have got the sums wrong.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your pump contract? What's that? x
Because i am NHS funded i had to sign a contract to say that i would meet certain targets if i dont they take the pump back..:(

i have to attended all appointments

download all my test resort at least once a week

keep in touch with my nurse by email or phone .

and meet Hbca1 of below 7.5%

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blimey, what borough is your hospital in? I'm in Lambeth and didn't have to do any of that??!

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Blimey, what borough is your hospital in? I'm in Lambeth and didn't have to do any of that??!
i live near southend. Essex but could get a pump from my local hospital and had to go to basildon about 20 miles away

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I see, it seems daft how different boroughs have different rules. Getting my pump was one of the best things ever for me, you'd think the rules would be the same all over England!
I guess we're lucky that we have one at least x

Reactions: 2 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I see, it seems daft how different boroughs have different rules. Getting my pump was one of the best things ever for me, you'd think the rules would be the same all over England!
I guess we're lucky that we have one at least x
very lucky :)