1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hba1c Question

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Ian Horne, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Ian Horne

Ian Horne Type 2 · Newbie

Dear all,

I'm due an operation requiring general anaesthetic but have just received a phone call from the hospital to say that the hba1c they took as my pre op assesment came back as a reading of 9. To have the op I need to be below 8.5. Can someone explain what this means please? Thanks in advance.

2. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The HbA1c is a snapshot if you like of the last 90 days, so a long term blood sugar reading..............it doesn't show how your control has been on a daily basis or whether there have been lots of highs or lots o lows.........

So I find it strange that your HbA1c is deciding whether to go ahead as your ability to heal depends on how your blood sugar is during your recovery and wont be affected, so I believe, by how your control has been in the past.....

it could take time to get down to 8.5% and you may need this operation quicker than that........

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Hi and welcome,

Your HbA1c is high. It equates to an average of 11.7mmol/l over the previous 2 to 3 months. (mmol/l is the measurement unit we see on our home glucose meters and finger prick tests). This means your levels have been too high for the past 2 to 3 months and the doctors are worried about operating on you with those levels. The only way you can get this down to an acceptable level is by looking at your diet and seeing what you are eating that is causing these high levels. With a suitable diet you should be able to get your levels down nicely. I suspect you are eating far too many carbohydrates as it is these blighters that convert to glucose in our system and cause high levels.

4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Yes, agree with the other posters. It might ttake a few weeks to get your HBa1C down below 8.5% with a low-carb diet. How did your GP or DN allow your HBa1C to go that high? Perhaps you are newly diagnosed? Have you been having diabetes checks every 6 months or so if not newly diagnosed? At that HBa1C level it should be every 3 months until nearer 7%

5. jenrose

jenrose Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would go and tell the person who deals with your diabetes, are you taking tablets/insulin at present?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook