Hba1c Result of 54 - opinions please?

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've just had my results from the nice but somewhat "clueless" receptionist.
my hba1c was 54. I test my bloods and am usually in the 8 or 9 range.
The nurse will want to discuss my lipids result?
The dr will want to discuss my liver function result (not urgent)

I'm not on any meds and am overweight but losing.
I'm just not sure how worried to be? I know I ought to wait til I've seen the Dr/nurse but any advise is appreciated.

J

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Firstly, can I say I am no expert and no doctor, so anything I say needs to be treated with caution.

When I went to the doctor a few weeks ago, my HbA1c was 55 and on the basis of this and a few other test results, I was told I was T2. The dr was generally about as helpful as a subcutaneous cyst! However, she did keep her hands off the prescription pad and allowed me to look at my diet/ exercise. Two months down the road and I am already 2 stone lighter and rigidly follow a healthy diet. I am not a rigid LCHF aficionado, but I try to stick to it on thd whole. I also test regular!y to see what I can and can't eat (in my case, wheat, spuds, rice and pasta are out).

As a result, my average reading for the last month was 5.8!!!

All this has led me to conclude that while eating healthy may never cure me, it will certainly help me become healthier, fitter and feel younger.

Today I went for an MRI scan on my knee as it aches when I walk for any length of time. I suspect several stone of excess weight hasn't helped. In the coming weeks I hope to continue losing weight and (G-d wiling) before the end of summer I hope to pull out my trainers and run again.

Not bad for a 63year old who 2-months who saw his future as an old man in a wheelchair.. well this boy may be getting older, but he's gonna do it disgracefully!

With a reading of 54, all isn't lost. Take the advice of people here and ask questions. The more answers you have, the more you can take control.

Reactions: Lainie71 and Prem51

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1464348863.829796.jpg

This might help

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm just not sure how worried to be? I know I ought to wait til I've seen the Dr/nurse but any advise is appreciated.

J

Without knowing what your last HbA1c was, it's a bit difficult to know if you have progressed, maintained progress you made before or have had a tough time.

Many diabetics, especially T2s can show signs of fatty liver, but it usually improves as things are brought under control. The same can often be said for lipids, depending on the eating approach each person adopts.

It's best not to worry, unless you understand what to worry about. Worrying over a maybe, could be or what if is a waste of mental energy we could be using for something far more fruitful.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you worrying about your HbA1c, or the liver function, or the cholesterol, or all 3?

If I were you I would ring and ask for a print out of all the results before you see the doctor. That way you have a good chance of working out for yourself what is wrong, ask on here if you don't understand, and then prepare some notes to take to the doctor with you. Knowledge is power, and that is especially true if statins are to be discussed, which it sounds like.!

As for the HbA1c we can't help without knowing what your last one was.

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, I hadn't thought of that (doh) but I've just rung and will call in on my way home and get a print out.

Not so much concerned about the HbA1c as I monitor my bloods and they're pretty ok day-to-day.
I think its just concern because they want to see me, though they have said not to be worried. My Dr appt is 14/6 so it cant be too serious or they'd have a)rung me or b) got me in sooner.
I havent made my nurse appt yet as the receptionist said to wait for the letter so that cant be too serious either, as above!

thanks again all

Reactions: 2 people

Zeptra86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was 55 when I was diagnosed with type 2 my last was 49 before that x

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, Ive got my results:
as i said before, HbA1c is 54 which according to the pages of results i got, is between good and tight control...
liver function - there is an ! next to the ALT level which is 49iu/L - in brackets it says (5-40) so I guess that is what I should ideally be?
cholesterol = 5.6 - again, in brackets it says <4.0 so Im too high
HDL level = 1.1 and should be >1.2 so too low?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, they are right to say those are nothing to worry about. :)

I expect they are going to try and push statins on you.
Worth reading up on them before you go to your appt.
It is important that you go into the appt already knowing your own mind. There is so much controversy over them that you need to know about (reading a few statins threads on here will show how polarised we can get! lol)

Likewise, have a read up about cholesterol. So little of dietary fat affects our cholesterol (our own bodies make 80+% of it for us, because they think we need it!), but they are likely to tell you all the outdated diet info, low fat, high carb, yada yada.

So go in prepared, so you don't end up being bamboozled into tablets you don't want or need. :)

My NHS area/local policy suggests metformin if your a1c is over 53, I think.
So in your situation I would be reading www.bloodsugar101.com about the long term effect of having a blood glucose that high, and thinking about lowering it to 48 or below. Either diet (low carb) or metformin would do it, I think. But it is ALWAYS your choice which route you take.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree entirely with @Brunneria in every respect.

Also, what were your LDL and Trigs? The trigs figure is very important, and the test results can be skewed if you didn't fast for it. Arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can.

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just seen the nurse and my previous hba1c was 55, so I'm down 1. She wants me under 50 or to go on metformin. She says this could help with the weight loss? She's very supportive and told me to have a think and do some research of my own - so I'm straight on here!
I kind of feel like I'll have failed if I can't control it by diet. She did say that wasnt the case and I know I'm being a bit silly.
I check my bloods and average about 8, up to 10/11 if I've had something naughty and she says that is pretty ok.

My cholesterol wasn't mentioned...

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Ok, Ive got my results:
as i said before, HbA1c is 54 which according to the pages of results i got, is between good and tight control...
liver function - there is an ! next to the ALT level which is 49iu/L - in brackets it says (5-40) so I guess that is what I should ideally be?
cholesterol = 5.6 - again, in brackets it says <4.0 so Im too high
HDL level = 1.1 and should be >1.2 so too low?

Hi. Just thought I'd share a little info to assist your understanding of the significance of these readings. After a kidney transplant, I was placed on steroids (among a load of other drugs) which raised by blood sugar and led to Type 2 diabetes (a common side-effect/consequence of the drug).
My first HbA1c result was 54..my most recent was 43 (purely down to a low carb diet as I stopped my meds quite some time ago now after agreement with my doctors.
My cholesterol was and still is 5.6. So you can see we are in a very similar place...on the surface of things. That 5.6 needs to broken down as there is good and bad cholesterol, and as has been said doctors (not all) are keen to recommend statins somewhat needlessly and turned them down and my doctor accepted that very easily. having read into cholesterol issues in some detail now - I don't even focus on it at all!
As for ALT...mine has been monitored very closely for decades now due to my kidney condition (one I inherited and nothing at to do with my diabetes). "Normal" range is 10-50. Mine is currently 17 but so you can understand the impact of a high level...it was up at 256 around the time of my transplant and up well above 50 about a year ago. At NO time did I suffer any issues as a result. Yours is nowhere near a level to be concerned about - trust me.
HDL should be 1.0 or above, so chill.
Hope that helps. If you can handle a very low carb diet, your HbA1c level will drop...so investigate that.
Paul

Terry kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type1 and have been since 1976 my blood glucose (blood test)is 54 does anyone know what average is in old terms is this good for my age (75)on insulin 4 times a day

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type1 and have been since 1976 my blood glucose (blood test)is 54 does anyone know what average is in old terms is this good for my age (75)on insulin 4 times a day
This is a rather old thread but your results translate roughly like this from here

Screenshot 2022-10-20 at 16.36.24.png

eli171

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Hi I am a T2 diabetic also. You should watch beating diabetes on YouTube he’s no doctor or nutritionist but he is very good at showing diabetics that Low Carbs High Fat diet works there’s hundreds of videos to help and testimonials from diabetics that have brought their numbers down just by diet alone
Good luck