HbA1C Result

spitfire

Hi all had my 12mths HbA1C result today 7.4 nurse says i have to start taking metformin twice daily i had this 7.4 result as a good result is this a high reading thanks.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
My last 1 was 7.6 and my consultant was happy with that!

simply_h

Hello Spitfire,

I got told I was diabetic and my 1st ever HbA1C was 6.6 and I was put on Metformin.. Was also told to take Satins and Blood Pressure meds..

I said to the nurse that I would, but have not taken any as yet.. As I am waiting for my next 6 month blood works test and will re-assess this myself.

My personal view is that doctors and Nurses are always too fast to put us on drugs, my view is that WE are in control of our own health and we should always try to makes changes..

My changes are going Low carb, stopping smoking, exercising more, less stress and using my blood sugar meter...

I should be having my blood works done in about 6 to 8 weeks... SO I guess time will tell.

Good luck with things and keep happy.

Cheers
Simply_h.

C

catherinecherub

Hi spifire,
If this HBA1c is lower than the last one you had then you are obviously going in the right direction and should be congratulated.
Do you test your blood sugars?
Try and get the next one lower but understand that for some it takes longer than others and this is not a failure. The metformin will lower your blood sugars but not by much. It has other benefits and is good for heart health. Once you get your levels lower then you can try and come off it. Sometimes people come off it because they hate the thought of medication. If your blood sugars remain stable for a period of time then you can always ask to come of it.

Well done anyway. You are going in the right direction. :) :) :)

Funky Mum

I'm waiting for my first lot of results and was told if it was over 10 then I'd be on tablets. Sounds like they all have their own guidelines!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, my consultant told me the same as what louise says , type2 is a HBA1c below 7.5. Any help/ Anna.x

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
NICE currently suggest that diabetics should aim for HbA1c targets of less than 7.5% for the prevention of microvascular disease and less than or equal to 6.5% for those at increased risk of arterial disease.

However, for every percentage point drop in HbA1c blood test results (from 8.0 percent to 7.0 percent, for example), the risk of diabetic eye, nerve, and kidney disease is greatly reduced.

A recent study suggests that the average non-diabetic HbA1c is about 5.2% - so if you can then I'd say that's the sort of level to aim for (easier said than done of course!)

Dillinger

spitfire

Thank you all very much for your input i guess its because my last HBA1C was 6.9 and my recent one was higher maybe thats the reason for the metformin just have to wait and see in 3 mths now thanks again your doing a great job. :D

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
spitfire said:
i guess its because my last HBA1C was 6.9 and my recent one was higher maybe thats the reason for the metformin just have to wait and see in 3 mths now thanks again your doing a great job. :D

I'm T2 (for now) and I was told as my hbac1 came in higher (see my results below) in my last test my DN said it's at this stage that I would be considered for Metaformin (the trigger for considering Metaformin hbac1 result is 7.5)

They're holding off in my situation as I'm awaiting results for MODY test.

I'm also awaiting for my 3rd hbac1 results this week so I wonder what they'll say if it's higher again :?

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
It was the same oh well, disappointed it's not lower but at least it's not higher eh.