HBA1c results.....

dobber

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

I just had my HAB1c results and ....... 6.2 :D The Dr said that my body is acting as if i didn't have diabetes :D All good so far yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Credit to my wife for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Spiral

Well done dobber 8) :D How did you do it? What did your wife do to keep you on the straight and narrow?

kentishman

MyHBA1C was 8,5.My nurse issued me with an extra Avandia and I went on a stringent diet. It came down to 6.3. Then, to my amazement she said I had to go on to Insulin because I was using three drugs to get the desired results and government guidelines say you can only use two.
I reckon this is more financial than medical. Foot went down and I'm still not on it yet.

FordPrefect

Erk well I am now on byetta, metformin and pioglitazone so I hope this is just your local area. Maybe its your local PCTs policy?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Well done dobber! 8)
You have achieved a LOT, but not yet non diabetic levels. That would be between about 3.5% and 5.5% with an average at 5.1%. A non-diabetic at 6.2% is most unlikely
I'm not trying to belittle your achievement, but trying to show you the truth. You have done brilliantly. The majority of diabetics never get that low. In my PCT area, fewer than half get down to 7.5%.

C

catherinecherub

Marvellous results dobber. Well done.

Attachments

• congratulations.jpg
    congratulations.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 618

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Well done Dobber

I've been diagnosed T2 for 11 years with no complications and also have an HbA1c of 6.2. That is good control. It is up to you if you want to change your lifestyle further to chase non-diabetic levels but for me, I am happy to be a good diabetic rather than a pretend non-diabetic.

Congrats to your wife for the support that she is giving you. Partnership is a wonderful thing.

Doug

tmohammad

Dislikes
NHS guidlines denying me test strips!
I was diagnosed a t2 diabetic in March 2009. My HBA1C was 11.2%. Doc wanted to pt me on Metformin. Opted to go the lifestyle changes route & 3 months later it was 6.5%. During the following few months I minimized Carbs from my diet & Yesterday the reading was 5.8%.

Unfotunately my cholestrol was a little high (5.2) and GP offered statins. I dont want to go on tablets if it can be helped. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Also my GP says that I only need the HBA1C test every six month... is that right? I thought it was every 3 months?

kentishman

You are lucky if you get it every six months. My last surgery was twelve months but I changed doctors and I now get it every six months.Three months unlikely

8789sal

I am T2 and my sugar levels are checked every 3 months and have been since I was diagnosed 4 years ago - I'm in the West Sussex area. I also started Victoza last week and so far so good. I was taken off Byetta after one month because of excrutiating heartburn (acid reflux). I'm not so sure it was Byetta that caused it as I was under a fair bit of stress at the time, but still, I'm very happy to now be on Victoza because of all the positive reports and comments about it. I double the dose tomorrow, so maybe that will be the time to see how I'm doing. Oh yes and 2lb lost this first week without any difficulty :D

wallycorker

Hi kentishman and tmohammad,

I'm still getting three monthly tests even though my last two HbA1c results are now down to 5.3% - down from 9.4%. I keep expecting them to change it to six months or longer because of my improved level of control.

It's like everything else really as far as the NHS is concerned - a postcode lottery!

Best wishes - John