HbA1c test and need to keep weight

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Hi, just had my new test results. HbA1c was 53 (7.0) total chol 3.5. Trig 0.9, hdl 1.13, LDL 2.0. My reading last Sept was at 68 (8.4) and chol 4.8. The thing is my weight has gone down from 10.3 lbs to 9.8 lbs body mass 22 down to 20.
Have. Reduced my carbs to try and get my figure down but still high compared to what I see browsing the forum, can do better. But will extra protein raise my chol level?
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

pat-in-durham

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear Johnroy
My BMI was 17.5 because I was trying to see if Prof Taylor was right & my weight was dropping nicely as I restricted the carbs. By the time I realised that I was still diabetic at 7 stones and it was not going away there was great alarm among the staff at the clinic where I was sent. I am trying to eat more protein and fat alongside the vegetables. I am experimenting with chick pea and buckwheat flour both of which make good pancakes but have no BG figures yet to confirm how they affect me, and am eating more pulses, lentil curry for example.
Four months later I seem to have put on about 2 lb, not much I know but progress. My latest fasting BG was 6.0 & bedtime was 6.4?Yours, Pat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Dear Johnroy
My BMI was 17.5 because I was trying to see if Prof Taylor was right & my weight was dropping nicely as I restricted the carbs. By the time I realised that I was still diabetic at 7 stones and it was not going away there was great alarm among the staff at the clinic where I was sent. I am trying to eat more protein and fat alongside the vegetables. I am experimenting with chick pea and buckwheat flour both of which make good pancakes but have no BG figures yet to confirm how they affect me, and am eating more pulses, lentil curry for example.
Four months later I seem to have put on about 2 lb, not much I know but progress. My latest fasting BG was 6.0 & bedtime was 6.4?Yours, Pat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Thanks Pat, I like your nighttime levels compared to mine, always at moment abit higher. Will take a look at what you are eating and get some more protein in me. Many thanks. Johnroy

johnco

This will sound like a `stuck record`! But, if you test before and after meals you will know exactly how you are doing, as well as how individual foods affect your glucose levels.

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Thanks Johnco, you are right. After those last test results told I did not need to test to much. See you next sept. But the meter does help and will keep testing and adjusting. It is a slow learning curve for me.