HbA1C test - waiting times

sltrog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.
I'm new to the sit, so sorry if I ask the obvious.
Does anyone know how long the waiting times are to get referred for the test. I had one five years ago and I seem to think it took around four months from referral to diagnosis.
I'm only asking as I hope to start a new job soon, and after the disaster of all the hospital appointments etc with the last job I don't want to be in that position again. I have enough of a list of ailments without adding more appointments to the list.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Hello sltrog. It depends on your doctor: you could request a HbA1c and if you're lucky get an appointment for a blood sample within days; your GP will probably get the result the same day, but probably best to have an appointment to discuss it a few days afterwards. That's just my experience, and your doctor will have to be convinced that you need one before he'll pay for it. Every GP and hospital are different.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have been formally diagnosed as a diabetic then you should expect an HBa1C test at least once a year. If this is not happening then your GP, DN etc is not carrying out correct procedure and you should discuss this. As part of the annual HBa1C you should have a retinopathy, foot nerve check etc. The Diabetes UK website lists all the things you should expect which I think is around 14 things. The HBa1C blood sample can be taken by a phlebotomist at your surgery or hospital and the results should be back within a week max and often quicker; it is not a fasting test so can be done any time of the day.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Maybe also worth a quick phone call to your hospital to see whether they do a fingerstick hba1c. Mine does, so I dont have to take time out to go to gp unless I'm needing cholesterol etc done as well..

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just book in every 3mths with the practice nurse for mine.