HBA1C

lj1921

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
1 year on from being diagnosed as type 2 at age of 48 and my latest HBA1C is now down to 6.2, just wanted to tell everybody.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
lj 1921
Congratlations on the 6.2! 5% club next time?
what do you call eating healthily?
Hana

AnneK

I am confused...... Not by your results cos they are fab... People tell me that 5-6.5% is great but when my son saw the nurse this week he was told that his Hba1c which are at 7.1% are spot on. That 7% is perfect. Is it different for children??

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Anne
7% is a target set by NICE. It should be seen as the ceiling of acceptable control, but too often is interpreted as the actual target. In addition, the targets are set deliberately high for historical reasons. an "ideal" Hba1c is probably 4.2% to 4.5% Average for non- diabetics is 5.1%.
In dealing with children, there needs to be some latitude, to cope with their changing needs as they grow. However, I feel that the doctors are sometimes so fixated on avoiding hypos, that they forget the risk of continuous HIGH blood glucose.
Hana

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
AnneK said:
I am confused...... Not by your results cos they are fab... People tell me that 5-6.5% is great but when my son saw the nurse this week he was told that his Hba1c which are at 7.1% are spot on. That 7% is perfect. Is it different for children??

I saw a diabetic nurse today, and was told the same thing, told me my HBA1C of 5.4 was very good but I should cut back on my insulin and try to get closer to 7 :?

I guess you cant win eh :lol:

lj1921

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hana
By Eating healthy I mean less greasy food grill everything, cut back on the sweets (thats really hard love sweets) have smaller meals, give up the scotch (no no no no no sorry not that have to have some comforts), cut back on take aways. thats all really, but then everybody is different so what is good for me maybe not good for someone else, just been to see Dr and he was really pleased with me said he wished all his Diabetics were like me (blush blush).

wallycorker

AnneK said:
Hi AnneK - it's good to meet you.

Unfortunately, from what I understand is the case, she may have been saying that because GPs get paid for getting the HbA1c of diabetic patients below 7.5%. It may not have too much of a relationship to what is best for the diabetic in the longer term. I certainly wouldn't have described a level of 7% with the word "perfect" - I'd rather look at it as a good starting point towards further improvement. From everything that I've read, I recommend that he tries to get it lower still - below 6% if he can.

Very best wishes to you and your son.

John