HBA1C's

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi everyone,

Out of curiosity i'm wondering what people's hba1c's are? and what would they like them to be ideally (if not already there)?

I guess i'll go first...

mine is currently 8.7% and i'd like mine to be an even 7.0% :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Ebony

My last HbA1c was 5.2. The one three months before was 5.3. I am quite happy with that and am not trying to get any lower. I am type 2 by the way.

ebony321

Dislikes
daisy1 said:
Hi Ebony

My last HbA1c was 5.2. The one three months before was 5.3. I am quite happy with that and am not trying to get any lower. I am type 2 by the way.

that's very good then! do you use meds or just diet and exercise?, i'm guessing when you get into the 5's it's quite an accomplishment to go down just 0.1%?!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi again Ebony.

I take Metformin 500mg with my evening meal, eat only around 80g carbs per day and try to do 30 mins walking a day. I lost 3 stone but haven't been able to lose any more for six months and I have another stone to lose.

ebony321

Dislikes
daisy1 said:
Hi again Ebony.

I take Metformin 500mg with my evening meal, eat only around 80g carbs per day and try to do 30 mins walking a day. I lost 3 stone but haven't been able to lose any more for six months and I have another stone to lose.

So are you a 'low carber'? i've read so many different range's of 'low carbing' and ketogenic diets and such...

wow 3 stone! i've put on a little weight since i got good control which bothers me a little and i'd like to lose a little but i find exercising diffcult with insulin too, but getting a pump soon so hopefully that'll help me out there... and hopefully help get my hba1c down too!

They say the last is the hardest to lose! i hope you get there!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Ebony,

I suppose you would call me a 'reduced carber' as I think some people go a lot lower than me. Good luck to you with the pump.

ebony321

Dislikes
daisy1 said:
Hi Ebony,

I suppose you would call me a 'reduced carber' as I think some people go a lot lower than me. Good luck to you with the pump.

out of curiosity i've just checked my diary to see how many carbs i consume a day and the average is 95g..

some higher some lower, i couldnt imagine eating only say 30g a day,thats just my breakfast alone!

but i guess you do whats best to control your diabetes :)

thankyou!

Magill

Dislikes
Some of the "candidates" in the Apprentice - I would never have employed some of the nasty individuals that pop up as potential employees in this show. If they are the best on offer then heaven help us!
Hi - I'm another T2 reduced carber. Last HbA1c was 9.1 but I should get the results on the latest one tomorrow which I expect to be lower again.
I'm being tested every 6 weeks just now as I had an odd reaction and they had to take me off my meds. So the control has been mainly diet and reduced meds. Like Daisy 1 I just watch the carbs I do eat. I've been following the South Beach Diet - difference to Atkins is that it isn't high protein/high fat.

Lynne C

Hi Ebony

I am Type 1 and my recent HBA1C was 6.6 which pleases my GP no end. I am strict with my diet and go running 4 times a week and walk a lot. Exercise is vital in reducing the amount of insulin you need and making you fitter, plus you feel a lot better about yourself. When you've run up a few hills it tends to put everything into perspective! I've been diabetic for 30 years so I'm not a novice.

Regards

Lynne C

ebony321

Dislikes
ooh good luck magill! i hope it is lower! you'llhave to let me know how it goes:)

i;ve read the atkins isnt too good for diabetes as it can be high protein so not good for kidneys especially if you have,some damage and of course high fat isn't good for anyone, i try to have a balanced diet, i pretty much eat what i like but i have all my veg, salad etc. and i am more concious of my cabrs as i now carb count, and im naughty sometimes but not too bad :lol:

i hope you have amanda hugankiss :) like magill youll have to post here when you get your new results :)

6.6 is very good!! i'm not surprise your is happy!

i'm hoping to reduce my insulin intake a little when i get a pump and do alot more exercise, i used to play football for my hometown but i currently sit on the sidelines as i find exercise difficult but i walk everywhere and have 3 little dogs to run around after all day and my 5yr old nephew keeps me going too! :lol:

i'm due for my next HBA1C in about a month so hopefully i'll be nearer to 7% then i'll be super happy as 8.7% is my best so far :)

iHs

Lynne C said:
Hi Ebony

I am Type 1 and my recent HBA1C was 6.6 which pleases my GP no end. I am strict with my diet and go running 4 times a week and walk a lot. Exercise is vital in reducing the amount of insulin you need and making you fitter, plus you feel a lot better about yourself. When you've run up a few hills it tends to put everything into perspective! I've been diabetic for 30 years so I'm not a novice.

Regards

Lynne C

Hello Lynne

Although yr GP might be happy with yr a1c being 6.6, a D consultant might not be. Where I live in West London advice on a1c is now changing. All insulin dependant diabetics are now being encouraged to have their a1c between 7 and 7.5. This is because of hypo awareness not being too good on lower a1c's and possible brain damage caused by low bg levels over a prolonged period.

I admit, its all a bit worrying. My friend who lives in East Anglia is also being advised to be on about 7 with their a1c so advice is going to alter right across the country I would think :?

Romola

I found that very interesting, as I hadn't realised that low bg could be associated with brain damage.

My last HbA1C was 5.9 - and I am expecting the result of the next one next week.

I am T2, and do diet and exercise only.

I follow a low glycemic load approach.

I got shot down on another thread for daring to question the advisability of going in for too much protein, thus risking kidney problems unless you know your kidneys are in good nick.

I recently read that many diabetics don't metabolise fat properly, so the higher fat approach may not be a good one.

I firmly believe that a balanced diet is best - albeit with reduced carbs - and those that remain to be as complex as possible (with exceptions like my nightly piece of chocolate :D )

ebony321

Dislikes
Romola said:
I found that very interesting, as I hadn't realised that low bg could be associated with brain damage.

My last HbA1C was 5.9 - and I am expecting the result of the next one next week.

I am T2, and do diet and exercise only.

I follow a low glycemic load approach.

I got shot down on another thread for daring to question the advisability of going in for too much protein, thus risking kidney problems unless you know your kidneys are in good nick.

I recently read that many diabetics don't metabolise fat properly, so the higher fat approach may not be a good one.

I firmly believe that a balanced diet is best - albeit with reduced carbs - and those that remain to be as complex as possible (with exceptions like my nightly piece of chocolate :D )

i was under the impression that hypo's that are very serious (unconsciousness and fits) can lead to ssome brain damage, my doctor and nurse both told me minor hypo's wont cause too much damage. but obviously losing hypo awareness is bad!

i dont think 6.6 is too low. i think for T1's (unless honeymooning) should go below 6. as your T2 and on diet and exercise 5.9 is good and no risk to you as you take no meds so don't worry :)

there is alot of negativity that i've read associated with high protein and fat diets, i also agree with having a good balanced diet with daily exercise if possible :)

post here when you get your results next week :)

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
iHs said:
This is because of hypo awareness not being too good on lower a1c's and possible brain damage caused by low bg levels over a prolonged period.

"Brief or mild hypoglycemia produces no lasting effects on the brain, though it can temporarily alter brain responses to additional hypoglycemia. Prolonged, severe hypoglycemia can produce lasting damage of a wide range. This can include impairment of cognitive function, motor control, or even consciousness. The likelihood of permanent brain damage from any given instance of severe hypoglycemia is difficult to estimate, and depends on a multitude of factors such as age, recent blood and brain glucose experience, concurrent problems such as hypoxia, and availability of alternative fuels. The vast majority of symptomatic hypoglycemic episodes result in no detectable permanent harm." Allen I. Arieff, Robert C. Griggs (1992). Metabolic brain dysfunction in systemic disorders. Boston: Little, Brown.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Dillinger said:
iHs said:
This is because of hypo awareness not being too good on lower a1c's and possible brain damage caused by low bg levels over a prolonged period.

"Brief or mild hypoglycemia produces no lasting effects on the brain, though it can temporarily alter brain responses to additional hypoglycemia. Prolonged, severe hypoglycemia can produce lasting damage of a wide range. This can include impairment of cognitive function, motor control, or even consciousness. The likelihood of permanent brain damage from any given instance of severe hypoglycemia is difficult to estimate, and depends on a multitude of factors such as age, recent blood and brain glucose experience, concurrent problems such as hypoxia, and availability of alternative fuels. The vast majority of symptomatic hypoglycemic episodes result in no detectable permanent harm." Allen I. Arieff, Robert C. Griggs (1992). Metabolic brain dysfunction in systemic disorders. Boston: Little, Brown.

Really ?
That's all very well..........however in Infants it can be extremely damaging even when mild episodes of hypoglycaemia are experienced. Therefore it isn't really true to say it has NO lasting effect on the brain. Maybe the people you quoted should have done a bit more research and not been so sure about what they wrote back in 1992.

Recurrent episodes of hypoglycemia were strongly correlated with persistent neurodevelopmental and physical growth deficits until 5 years of age. Recurrent hypoglycemia also was a more predictable factor for long-term effects than the severity of a single hypoglycemic episode. Therefore repetitive blood glucose monitoring and rapid treatment even for mild hypoglycemia are recommended for small-for-gestational-age infants in the neonatal period. (J Pediatr 1999;134:492-8)

There is also the view in some expert medical circles nowadays that it CAN have an effect on the brain function even when it is only mild. Personally I wouldn't be so sure that what was said back then still applies. I think the jury is still out on that one. A matter of opinion really.

Ken

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Hi
When I was originally diagnosed as T2 7 yrs ago my SDN wanted my HBAC1.s to be below 7.5 - I wonder if that recommendation has now changed. Mine averaged 6.6 with meds until I had pancreatitis 18 months ago. Now on insulin they average 8.3 but I do have hypos too so not sure what the real figure is. I am now careful with my diet and try and eat GI food but think I need to change the portions. After my illness I was told to eat carbs with every meal. I was vastly under weight and have now slowly got back to my normal weight of 130 lbs. Think now that I need to reduce the carbs. I note on this thread that some people count carbs & calories, but I dont know how to do that. Can someone give me some advice on this please. It is all very new to me and am finding it a bit of a minefield.

Snodger

I was reading the National Diabetes Audit (I know! the things I do for fun!) and found this interesting statistic:
In 2008-2009 only 28.6% of type 1s got their HbA1c equal to or below 7.5
The equivalent figure for type 2s was 66.6%.

Please, nobody post here saying that that is because type 1s are all lazy or stupid, because I will have to seek you down and kill you. :wink:
Type 1 is a tough gig.

ebony321

Dislikes
Snodger said:
I was reading the National Diabetes Audit (I know! the things I do for fun!) and found this interesting statistic:
In 2008-2009 only 28.6% of type 1s got their HbA1c equal to or below 7.5
The equivalent figure for type 2s was 66.6%.

Please, nobody post here saying that that is because type 1s are all lazy or stupid, because I will have to seek you down and kill you. :wink:
Type 1 is a tough gig.

that is very interesting...

I will definately not say T1's are lazy or stupid as i am T1 myself! :lol: and i agree its a tough gig!!

Would be interesting to know where the rest of the percentages lie.