1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Healing takes forever!!!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by rkeane, Sep 28, 2009.

1. rkeane

rkeane · Active Member

Hey,
    The other day, I was cooking my dinner and burned my hand. It was only a slight cut but put sudocreme and a plaster on anyway just to be on the safe side. 2 wks later, the LITTLE cut I think has become infected and is quite sore. I am well aware that any healing process takes longer for diabetics but will this be the case for every lillte cut? I now have a quite a red mark around the cut and the cut is only beginning to start healing itself again. Very frfustrating as I think I will now have a slight scar, not to mention having to keep lokking at the stupid cut! My levels are controlled. Last hospital appointment 6.4.

2. berryheadpie

berryheadpie · Member

thats the joy of diabetes i burnt my finger with my hair straightners 3 weeks ago and its just beginning to heal now im gonna b left with a scar too its rubbish eh

3. howie

howie · Well-Known Member

got a sports injury, i've pulled some muscle in my foot or something. for some reason i played tennis on it two days in a row making it worse. i've never had any sport injuries before and cant help but think its DB related now, specially as its been hanging round since last week.

though i was under the assumption that without a history of bad control or present high BG levels we should heal like non-DB's?

you guys always had tight control?

4. rkeane

rkeane · Active Member

Yip, have always been between 6 and 6.8. Trying harder again to get them down now. Think infection is going now but I've n doubt it'll take ages to heal. Very frustrating. Anyway thanks for your help. Best of luck x

5. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I keep BG in the 4s and 5s and heal at normal speed. I cut myself on my Mandolin slicer( first time in the 10 years I've had it) Put a plaster on it and it was all healed up in about 10 days.
    Hana

6. howie

howie · Well-Known Member

yeah i keep in the 4's and 5's. I've not actually cut myself since being DB, but i remember bruising easily when i first came out of hosp probs when my levels were a still a bit high. saying that i just tested my BG's and it says 9.2!!!!! oh sh*t and i can't even go out jogging cos me foot aint 100% yet.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook