Health cash plan to cover pre existing conditions

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I had a health cash plan with ESMI insurance which covered my diabetes, allowing me to see my private eye consultant up to four times per year and recoup 75% of costs.

But I found out today that they are no longer providing this product, I think the penny may have dropped that people like me are costing them more than I pay in the premiums! That's the rub with insurance isn't it, those who need it can't access it!

Is anyone aware of any other health cash plan that will cover pre existing conditions, specifically consultation fees? I can't bear the thought of not seeing my lovely consultant who I've got to know well over the years , but at £155 for a consultation he is not cheap! I am loathe to go back on the NHS after the way I was treated at my local eye hospital several years ago so this insurance was a godsend for me and I'm gutted they are now stopping it!

Reactions: 2 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Does your consultant not do NHS work as well? Many do. A quick Google search or past correspondence might give you the answer if you do not know. If they do NHS work ask your GP to refer you to your consultant at the hospital they work in. If you have problems with that route speak to your consultant or their secretary to see what your options are.

Hope this helps.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
He does, but he is quite high up so impossible to guarantee I see him, I think they reserve him for the difficult/unusual cases and I have happily recovered a lot. I have tried before to see him in the clinic there and it didn't work!

I may just bite the bullet and pay to see him annually, and if I get further problems will have to get referred back to the NHS.

Thought it was too good to be true, that my plan covered me for pre exixting but at least it got me through the worst of my retinopathy, if as my consultant says I am now through the worst of it.

Reactions: 2 people