Healthy and unhealthy breakfasts.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What makes a healthy and unhealthy breakfast?
(if you've seen it before, sorry, I put it originally with a 'news ' item and then thought it might get missed down there so made a new thread)
http://www.idf.org/sites/default/files/wdd-guidebook-2014-en.pdf
This is from the World diabetes day material.
I don't expect that everyone would agree with everything that's in the healthy options though I've no doubt that most of us could make a breakfast from it.
One of the things they point out is that missing breakfast is associated with weight gain and that also a healthy meals can be far more expensive than eating nutrient poor, energy processed foods like those often served for breakfast.
I suspect that if you looked at most breakfast tables in the UK and elsewhere they would mostly contain foods from the unhealthy list.
From the IDF document
IDf Healthy Breakfast.JPG

Idf unhealthy breakfast.JPG

How are some of these modern breakfast cereals made? What's actually in them? How they have changed from there original basis (ie what Mr Kellogg invented) Long article!
One bit of Trivia that I found amusing but shocking at the same time
According to the article the vitamin D added to foods is a by product of wool processing in China (using sheepskins that have travelled all the way from Australia!
http://wphna.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/WN_2014_05_03_239-260_Warner_Pandoras_Lunchbox.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Most important meal of the day as far as I'm concerned, out of the healthy list there's only one I couldn't eat on a morning and that is fish.

Had boiled eggs with two slices of Rye bread toast for breakfast this morning but normally have porridge with seeds, natural yogurt and blueberries, all on the healthy list :)

Reactions: 6 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most important meal of the day as far as I'm concerned, out of the healthy list there's only one I couldn't eat on a morning and that is fish.
Had boiled eggs with two slices of Rye bread toast for breakfast this morning but normally have porridge with seeds, natural yogurt and blueberries, all on the healthy list :)
I also still tend to eat porridge with some nuts and berries.
I like eggs for breakfast but I often eat them at lunchtime . I think I agree about fish though kippers and kedgeree used to be very popular in the past.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Where's the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs? My breakfast of choice.:)

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I also still tend to eat porridge with some nuts and berries.
I like eggs for breakfast but I often eat them at lunchtime . I think I agree about fish though kippers and kedgeree used to be very popular in the past.

I was in the Isle of Man in the 80's to see the TT Races, all you could smell in the morning was Manx Kippers frying, the smell was more enough for me after a night out on the drink :(

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
(if you've seen it before, sorry, I put it originally with a 'news ' item and then thought it might get missed down there so made a new thread)
I don't expect that everyone would agree with everything that's in the healthy options though I've no doubt that most of us could make a breakfast from it.
One of the things they point out is that missing breakfast is associated with weight gain and that also a healthy meals can be far more expensive than eating nutrient poor, energy processed foods like those often served for breakfast.
I suspect that if you looked at most breakfast tables in the UK and elsewhere they would mostly contain foods from the unhealthy list.
From the IDF document
View attachment 8203

View attachment 8204

How are some of these modern breakfast cereals made? What's actually in them? How they have changed from there original basis (ie what Mr Kellogg invented) Long article!
According to the article the vitamin D added to foods is a by product of wool processing in China (using sheepskins that have travelled all the way from Australia!
http://wphna.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/WN_2014_05_03_239-260_Warner_Pandoras_Lunchbox.pdf

In the wholegrain bread, rice or other products section, I don't get the rice or other products :confused: especially the latter it could be anything ? lol and even though I love fish including kippers, I wouldn't want them for breakfast though o_O not first thing in the morning :(
But my tastes have changed over the past few months,, some things I used to like, I just cant seem to eat any more o_O

RRB :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pleased to see my breakfast of natural yogurt and berries (with a cuppa, no sugar, skimmed milk) is on the healthy list. My previous breakfasts were always Cornflakes and orange juice, so that's one good change I made. Fish for breakfast? :yuck:

Reactions: 3 people

desidiabulum

From the IDF document
View attachment 8203

View attachment 8204

Thanks Phoenix. It does make you wonder a little, though, why the item on the World Diabetes Day healthy breakfast theme in the News section of this site includes a picture with a very prominent large glass of orange juice (unhealthy list) and what looks like a large plate of waffles (unhealthy list) with syrup (unhealthy list) on them, while the accompanying 'breakfast options' suggestions include making smoothies (unhealthy list) with bananas and citrus fruits. I still get the feeling that diabetes organizations aren't singing from the same hymnsheet (even if we ignore the carbohydrate issue). Perhaps the words 'healthy' and 'breakfast' just automatically trigger the citrus fruits and smoothies in people's minds.
I definitely vote in favour of kippers -- wonderful! Can't face cooking them myself though...

Reactions: 5 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Best breakfast ever for me and Mrs Nuthead and all the now grown up little Nutheads is ham and eggs. Daddy Nuthead was a butcher (rip) and the shop had it's own farm and slaughter house. Would now be considered top of the range organic grass feed blah blah.... B@/#!y good meat. Own recipe sausages to die for...

Reactions: 7 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@desidiabulum
I agree about the picture, it didn't seem healthy at all . That's one reason I looked up what was actually said.
I sometimes think that things get rather lost in translation.

Reactions: 2 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My favorite breakfast is, Burgen toast with peanut butter & cheeses melted under the grill. Yyyyuummmmyy

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My fave brekie (in season) are kippers or herring.

Reactions: 3 people