Healthy Eating

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There have been a number of Scottish Parliementary questions and answers on the issue of diabetes
in recent weeks. Now before anyone gets too excited at the prospect of progress regarding dietary advice, take a look at a recent publication which some of the answers referenced.

Scottish Diet Action Plan - Dietary Targets

Fruit & VegetablesAverage intake to double to more than 400g per day

Bread
Intake to increase by 45% from present daily intake of 106g, mainly using wholemeal and brown breads

Breakfast Cereals
Average intake to double from the present intake of 17g per day

Fats
Average intake of total fat to reduce from 40.7% to no more than 35% of food energy

Average intake of saturated fatty acids to reduce from 16.6% to no more than 11% of food energy

Salt
Average intake to reduce from 163mmol per day to 100mmol per day

Sugar
Average intake of NME sugars in adults not to increase

Average intake of NME sugars in children to reduce by half i.e. to less than 10% of total energy

Breastfeeding
See breakout box on page 27

Total Complex Carbohydrates
Increase average non-sugar carbohydrates intake by 25% from 124g per day, through increased consumption of fruits and vegetables, bread, breakfast cereals, rice and pasta and through an increase of 25% in potato consumption

Fish
White fish consumption to be maintained at current levels

Oil rich fish consumption to double from 44g to 88g per week

:shock:

It looks to me as if things will have to get very much worse before they begin get any better.

fergus

Trinkwasser

fergus said:
It looks to me as if things will have to get very much worse before they begin get any better.

fergus

Looks like you'll be giving up the deep fried Mars bars and still dying of cardiovascular disease. :(

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Fergus, lets face it we are a burden on the NHS resources, that sort of diet would be one way to reduce our numbers.

Regards Graham

ally5555

fergus - do you have a ref for the guidelines.

What you have posted is not really specific - are they male/female /kids/adults?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Horrendous!! the width of a standard doorway will have to be increased for those without Diabetes genes.

ally5555

Hana - you have to look at the bigger picture and fergus has only posted part of it.

Actually getting people to eat proper food might be a start!

Katharine

It's just more of the sugar isn't that good for you, starches are great for you and fat is bad for you rubbish.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I agree with Ally that eating real food woul be a start for some people, but for those, mainly older folks, who cook, that list is awful.
Also
Katharine or Sue may confirm, the eating of green leafy vegetables is not traditional in parts of Scotland.
Historically, the Scottish climates weren't good for growing most veggies. "Neaps and Tatties" was about it.
Climate has changed and so have the varieties of veggies.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I eat a lot of green things ,Hana! Up here Kale and cabbage grow quite well and the ubiquitous sprout.The rest I buy frozen .