Heat affecting my BS?

debs g

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My normal BS runs at about 5.6 first thing in the morning, rising to anything up to about 8.3 2hrs after eating. For the last couple of weeks I have been at 6.5-7.3 on rising and right now I am 12.4 2hrs post prandial!!!! Is this likely to be the heat? I feel awful, very sleepy and grouchy, not good :thumbdown:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not a type 2 but I'll 'bump' your post up in the hope you get some replies.

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
Hi

Your "high" sugar levels are what were normal to me!! I probably can't be of much help to you as my blood sugars have gone DOWN in the heat. I have been having frequent hypos both during the night and in the day and have had to resort to stopping my insulin injections for the last three days. I only give myself two units of Novorapid with meals so it wasn't a lot and my Lantus in the evening has had to be reduced as well so heat certainly does affect sugar levels. Of course, the heat is going to make many people feel sleepy and grouchy so it could just be that. I certainly don't experience those feelings when my sugar is at your high levels so as I said it probably is just the heat. I moaned about the bad weather we had been having before the sun came along but I have to admit that I am looking forward to the temperatures dropping.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm having a similar problem which I'm assuming may be down to the heat.

My readings are all over the place. I eat the same stuff every day and take my meds and daily insulin at regular times.

For the past five days my morning readings have been ok but my evening readings have jumped up and been in the 9's and 10's, except yesterday when I had a 3.3!

I'm going to ring my diabetes nurse tomorrow and see what she thinks.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry about the above. Yes I am the same. My fasting BG is up as normal but the last few days after eating only 2 eggs for breakfast 2 hours later they have been 9.7. So today I had only a de-caffinated coffee with 15g coconut oil and cream 20g and cheese 35g and guess what 2 hours later they are 8.8. Also I feel quite sleepy and "off".
Can anyone shed any light on this please?

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
I can report the same ....... At first I was sure that heat lowers the Blood Sugar, but I am pretty convinced that, for me at least, the opposite is true. I am having a terrible blip with my control - with similar weird responses to what are very low carb options, like chicken salad ..... 8.2 three hours after eating !!!!!

Very depressed and fed up.

But it looks like I am not alone - and that's why this forum can be very helpful. I bet once the temps come back to normal, we'll see a shift in our sugars - fingers crossed.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too have silly high readings at the moment and cannot explain them scientifically but I have assumed that the body is expending less energy since it doesn't have to keep itself warm.

I base this thought on a story told by a workmate. He bought a house that did not have central heating and all his family lost weight. They were not cold as such but had moved from a council property which had community heating which was capable of melting socks.

Hopefully when the temperature drops my readings will recover.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
The heat is making me sweat a lot more, especially meal-times. Make sure you drink a lot of low/non-sugary drinks like water as you're more likely to suffer from high levels of dehydration and that will ****** up your readings massively. It makes an enormous difference with your body trying to depend upon fluids that aren't there and your body will be trying to dump glucose into your bloodstream to function as best it can.