1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Heat and diabetes

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by WaG, Oct 12, 2009.

1. WaG

WaG Type 2 · Active Member

Hi

I was in a jacuzzi the other day = lucky me but noticed a sign that said diabetics shouldtake advice before using.

I am fairley new to this, does anyone have any info about why this should be? plus if it is the heat how does this apply to going on holiday to hot countries using saunas etc?

For info I am type two taking two metformin + diet and exercise.

Thanking you

WaG

2. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

It dilates the blood vessels and will enhance the effect of any insulin that has been administered.

3. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

A hot tub can help drop a high BG
    Hana

4. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi everybody

A week ago I had a short holiday in a Spa Hotel in Baden Baden, Germany. During my time there, I used the Spa facilities quite a lot including of course the sauna, steambaths etc. Throughout my stay there my blood glucose levels were steadily low (always 4-6 mmol/l). I originally attributed this to reduced stress but perhaps the heat had something to do with it.

I now have another reason to enjoy the spa after the gym.

Regards

Pavlos

5. whatashock

whatashock · Well-Known Member

I have noticed the same, which is great as it means I have a great excuse to tell the wife 'off to the gym for a couple of hours, as I MUST have a sauna and Jacuzzi'

All I would point out though is that I was at a diabetic talk last week, and was advised not to 'soak' your feet for too long as it has an effect on the skin on the feet.

6. WaG

WaG Type 2 · Active Member

Thanks once again to everyone time and time again this forum has proved very useful and supportive.

WaG

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook