Type 1 Heat and high blood sugar that refuses to go down - any one else?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Anyone else getting this? I've taken SO MUCH novorapid today and my blood sugar just refuses to go below 15. I am on a low carb diet and I've literally eaten a protein shake today (20g protein, 1.4g carb and I bolused for the protein), cooked ham and lettuce/cucumber for lunch today and the odd half a carrot. Yet I've probably had about 15 units of bolus. I had the same problem yesterday too. It's really frustrating.

Last week I got my Lantus into a good place and I have been lowering it and 29 units before bed started to be a good dose. I've changed both my vials, still nothing. It's gotten to a point where I've had to call my pharmacy and ask for a whole new batch of insulin just incase the 4589503 packs in my fridge are all damaged.

So annoying! It's Friday night and I want to cook a nice meal. I had a basic ham omelette last night that spiked me up to 22.9!

worcesterwoman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Oh, maybe it is the heat, I a taking ridiculous amounts of insulin at the moment. Can't get my levels to stay down and steady. I do have other health problems too but until recently keeping this under control wasn't one of them.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes you just have days where you seem to have to take extra upon extra insulin. Lack of sleep causes my insulin needs to go up. But also if I eat some really significantly high fat meals my insulin needs are increased the next day.

But the other thing I watch out for is if I have a streak that I require more insulin, it can be a sign of an infection. For me that has been one of the first signs of a tooth infection. For my dog that's a diabetic it was the first sign of an eye infection.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I first lost control when the temperature soared about 2 years ago. The DSNs were no help at all. It was my consultant who suggested that splitting my bolus for meals, taking half before each meal and the other half after a couple of hours was worth trying. It certainly reduced the massive spikes I was seeing. Apparently, heat can make injected insulin work faster and with more efficiency, so then that creates a mis-match between the meal's digestion time and the insulin's action, which may result in a masive drop in BS followed by a huge rise.