Heat problems

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Anyone else feel ill with the heat
My heart feels like its slow and keep going faint and it happens everytime its hot so you will see why i am so afraid of hot weather and love the winter :problem:

Chrisspiller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm finding the heat difficult too, but then again since my heart bypass I find the cold to be debilitating as well! Before my CABG I was never cold, I suppose I had blood the consistency of pâté which kept me warm.

I take so many pills now and my bloods like water (I don't have to squeeze fingers to get a drop of blood now, it's like a fountain!)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
borderter said:
Anyone else feel ill with the heat
My heart feels like its slow and keep going faint and it happens everytime its hot so you will see why i am so afraid of hot weather and love the winter :problem:

Hi bordertex .

Do you suffer with hayfever, cardiovascular issues ? blood pressure low?
These can affect some persons badly with the heat .

Here is another thread where I have asked how the seasons may affect us .
Feel free to read and chime in - if you wish .
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44316

I struggle when its hot - I find I can absorb my insulin faster in the heat .
So have to reduce the units to prevent any hypo's .
Though if I am suffering with hay fever this will keep me with higher BG readings :crazy:
It ends up being quite a balancing act to keep things steady !

Am much better in and do prefer the cooler weather :thumbup:

Anna .

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always find I need more insulin in the heat ?? Think its because my body uses less energy to keep warm thus keeping my sugars up

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This heat makes me feel unwell too, makes my levels go up and down like a yoyo! The only thing I like about it is its easier for getting my young children out ad opposed to struggling with hats coats gloves blankets etc.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup it seems the warm weather has opened the flood gates to hypos this weekend!

A genuine 5 minutes of "tennis" (more practice required!) in the garden with my niece yesterday resulted in a mild hypo (3.2). It was a nice excuse for a glass of cooling orange juice though!

I've had a few situations like that, I'm just glad I've got pretty good hypo awareness!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
nicolan6534 said:
I find I need less insulin when it's hot and tend to have more hypo's

Me too, even more so when exercise is involved.

coco4

Hi thought it was just me. I was out and about on Saturday and Sunday in the heat but not doing anything too strenuous. I much prefer the winter. Low reading before I went to bed last night so drank juice and ate half a slice of toast to bring reading up. Woke at 5am this morning feeling decidedly odd and jumpy, thought maybe I had over done carbs bringing up reading lastnight. Did a test, reading was 3.2. Treated obvious hypo. Had breakfast at 8am. Have felt washed out all morning and heart seems to have a "funny" rhythm. Reading just now before lunch is 4.2 so not increasing that much. Thing was I was supposed to be fasting from 8pm last night for cholesterol blood test. O well HBA1C should be good this time, fingers crossed lol :lolno:

karen9975

im hating the heat,i had 3 hypos last night,woke up 20.2mmol!!!,,went up doctors and was told id be safer in hospital on sliding scale but as they know i can manage well iv been told to try to keep in doors eat little and often keep well hydrated untill the heat passes ,it sure isnt fun being type one when the weather is like this :cry:

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
As soon as the weather hots up so do my feet and ankles. I've got hot day sandals and cold day sandals. They're always normal when I get up in the morning!! Anyone else suffer swollen ankles ?

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Things get worse for me ,was walking dogs early yesterday when awful stomach cramps hit,just made it home (400 yds) and then blacking out on the loo holding bowl as felt sooo sick ,pain equal to labour pains ,poor hubby just hung onto me on the loo then got me onto the bed where apart from awful headache i soon recovered but did not take the metformin due at lunchtime (have been on it for months so it was not that) I can only put it down to experience as hubby ate the same as me and hes ok but the heat really did not help.Suprisingly bgs not too bad even without insulin etc .Oh roll on a cooler spell :sick:

Rivieralady

The professionals always say that the heat doesnt really affect your blood sugar but I know that if I lived in a hot country I would hardly be diabetic, sounds a silly thing to say but my blood sugars are so low in the heat...Just going through adjusting all my settings on pump at the moment and have a cgm fitted. but I know that when the weather is cool again I will have to adjust basals all back up again!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
kangoo said:
I've had to reduce my Levemir by 6 units to avoid hypos since this warm spell began. The heat hasn't affected my novorapid (yet)

Mine has dropped from 3 units to 1 from a mixture of heat and exercise!

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I'm eating so much more sweet stuff, more fruit and all that. It's the hot weather. I passed out in a shop the other day with an undetected low.

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My biggest heat problem is not being able to sleep ... like I've just got back out of bed again!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
damonfrog said:
My ankles are really swollen in this heat :( why is this? Xxx

Sounds like water retention. When you're sitting try to keep them slightly elevated. It will go away eventually :)

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
My ankles always swell in the heat and sometimes my hands. I'm taking a diuretic which seems to help a bit re fluid retention. Don't worry they will go down when it gets cooler :)