Hello. A newbie, diagnosed today with T2

JenBry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi.
Just had a formal diagnosis this morning of having Type 2 Diabetes, after a week filled with appointments with GPs and nurses for various tests. My blood sugar was at 19.6 earlier this week and today at 19.8. My ketones were at 1.1, and there was a brief discussion about hospitalisation for the weekend. I have been given a glucose monitor, and also some medication to take. I have a question about the blood sugar level. Is 19.6/19.8 a dangerous high level, or just high, and general cause for concern?
Thanks.
I look forward to finding out more here about my condition.
Take care
Jen

Reactions: 2 people

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum, you've found the right place & people to answer most if not all of your questions & concerns. Unfortunately I'm not 1 of them yet, they'll be here soon.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard of higher but 19.6 is definitely a cause for concern. High levels of sugar in the blood damages organs, some more than others although it is not selective. Having such a level for a long time means you are unlikely to have avoided such damage. The official guide lines say that less than 8.5 within two hours of eating is safe but many think that this target is not stringent enough.

Do whatever is necessary to bring your sugar levels down is my advice.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @JenBry64
Yes my understanding it that would be very high. Mine was 18 at diagnosis a year ago and took a while to get it down to a more reasonable level. I used diet and walking.
I will tag @daisy1 who will post some helpful information for newcomers.
Do ask questions and people will try and help.

Reactions: 5 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Welcome @JenBry64

I have tagged @daisy1 who will post some really good information for new members. This is a great place to ask questions and get feedback on what you have been told etc. Once you have read thru the information follow up with any questions you may have. Take your Meds as directed and I would avoid Carbs such as Sugar, Biscuits, Potato, Pasta, Rice, Bread and Soft Drinks over the next few days and monitor your levels. Check you levels each morning before eating and post them on here for feedback.

Dropping the carbs can have an impact on bringing them down as should your meds. What did your GP/DN say to you about your levels this morning?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Please try not to worry too much. My understanding is that damage is caused when very high blood sugar levels have been present for a long time. Having said that exercising e.g walking, drinking lots of water and avoiding all high carbohydrate foods eg bread, cakes, rice, potatoes will help to bring your blood sugar levels down, if you do this and take the medication religiously you should see results fairly quickly. Good luck

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is considered high, and is not a place to stay for too long. I was 10 mmol/L when DX'd which was panic stations in those days. Recently i was swinging between 15 and 28, but changes to diet has reduced my bgl to just above'normal' My GP is very happy with my turnaround.

Cutting the carbs is a step you can do from day 1, and it will certainly get your bgl back onto the radar again. There is no need to panic but it is something you need to start addressing now.
There is a wealth of useful info on this site, and plenty of experienced PWD's to converse with.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@JenBry64

Hello Jen and welcome to the forum :) As others have said, your levels are much too high. One thing you can do to help is to reduce the carbohydrates you eat. Fats are OK though. This information we give to new members should help you in this. Ask as many questions as you need to and you will get plenty of advice.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi.
Just had a formal diagnosis this morning of having Type 2 Diabetes, after a week filled with appointments with GPs and nurses for various tests. My blood sugar was at 19.6 earlier this week and today at 19.8. My ketones were at 1.1, and there was a brief discussion about hospitalisation for the weekend. I have been given a glucose monitor, and also some medication to take. I have a question about the blood sugar level. Is 19.6/19.8 a dangerous high level, or just high, and general cause for concern?
Thanks.
I look forward to finding out more here about my condition.
Take care
Jen

I was recently diagnosed with type 1 and like you when I found out about the condition I found my BS was through the roof and my ketone levels were cause for concern. Eventually I needed to go to the ER to take higher doses of insulin and have them monitor my levels while they were brought down. The ER attending physician said I just needed some more time to adjust to my new medication and it would have brought down my levels eventually but you never know.

Drink lots of water, take your medication and change up your diet to help bring down your levels. If it persists a stay at the doctors is better then DKA. Just monitor your health and stay vigilant and work to stay positive.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please try not to worry too much. My understanding is that damage is caused when very high blood sugar levels have been present for a long time. Having said that exercising e.g walking, drinking lots of water and avoiding all high carbohydrate foods eg bread, cakes, rice, potatoes will help to bring your blood sugar levels down, if you do this and take the medication religiously you should see results fairly quickly. Good luck
Lizanne is right. Though 19 is very high, and you must get them down, don't panic - the damage occurs in the long term (three to five years). You can get those sugars down as a Type 2. Get yourself a meter and eat to the meter. Give up starch - rice, bread, pasta, potatoes.

I recommend Jenny Ruhl's website : http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/phlaunt1?url=http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/#2831

She has everything you need to know. Just eat to your meter! And the SD Codefree is the cheapest.

Oh, and the damage is to an extent reversible one you achieve normalish blood sugars. Read Dr Bernstein:

http://www.diabetes-book.com/

Especially this page: http://www.diabetes-book.com/laws-small-numbers/

He also has a whole YouTube course:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs_TA02I6IvV6-1s2pL4BPhvMo0Ck_lcY

Last edited by a moderator: