Hello all

minoucha

Hi, I'm new to this site. Have had type 2 diabetes for 6 years controlled by diet & exercise but have now moved on to Metformin. Am terrified at the thought of having hypos. Does everyone carry ID tags? Am also confused about drinking. Metformin advice sheet says do not drink alcohol but general advice is to drink in moderation (i.e. about 14 units a week). Do I have to give up completely?

thanks in advance for any advice.

Kimbers.21

hey i dont av type 2 - i got type1 but in concideration bout the drinking if the guide is in moderation i dont see y u crnt av a couple of drinks - just be aware of what ur doing and make sure u do stick to the guidence. - thats what i think neway or if ur totally unsure just ring ur GP they'll b able to tell u.

Aidy xx

...you dont even know how very special you are...

Kimbers.21

sorry 4got to say that i wear a medical alert band - just so if anthing goes wrong thn people can see that im diabetic and i got my gp's number on it

...you dont even know how very special you are...

Addy

Can't say anything about the alcohol as i don't drink but i always wear a meditag

...falling is not the problem, it's when you land...

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Minoucha,

Metformin on its own cannot cause a hypo. However, alcohol has the effect of lowering blood sugar, so drinking alcohol when you are on metformin could cause a hypo. If you regard the guideline as 2 units a day, you should be pretty safe. If you have your week's 14 units in one evening then a hypo is almost a certainty.

Type 1s are more susceptible to hypos than type 2s. I am type 2 and don't wear a medical band, but then I monitor my blood sugars regularly and drink in moderation. If your blood sugars drop into the hypo range (usually below 4 but can vary from person to person) you will get plenty of warning signs - feeling dizzy, disoriented, sweating, hands shaking, becoming aggessive and suddenly argumentative.

Fugs

I wear a medic alert bracelet. I think the £20 annual fee are worth it for peace of mind. Also I'm sure that if you're on benefits the fee is waivered.
The bracelet means that no matter where I am in the world my medical records are available to the medics. Medic Alert also ring any people you ask them to so that they are aware that something has happened

>^..^<