1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hello everyone [emoji4]

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by MattHarman, Jun 12, 2019 at 4:25 PM.

1. MattHarman

MattHarman Type 1 · Member

My names Matt, I'm 26 and based near the south coast. I got diagnosed with Type 1 a few weeks ago, obviously still trying to come to terms with it all. It's difficult talking to people that don't fully understand it so feel free to drop me a message and say hi!

Considering looking at CGM's so if anyone has any suggestions or whether it's best to try and come to grips with testing before purchasing that would be great.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello Matt! Welcome aboard the ship, :)
    Freestyle libre sensor isn’t marketed as a CGM, there is a payment option for Dexcom G6 which is a CGM. Freestyle libre sensor does show more information than a finger prick reading, such as over night trends and gives an indication with arrows to say whether you are going up or down or staying stable. But it doesn’t alert you if you are going low or high - there are some diabetics who have purchased extra gadgets such as miaomiao to give it a more cgm function. What I will say is though, finger prick is by far more accurate than freestyle libre sensors, sometimes the reading is a false hypo or hyper, but I can’t speak for Dexcom G6.
    I think you are in the early days, since and I’m assuming you haven’t been taught carb counting or dose adjustments or your team haven’t referred you to a carb counting course. But I don’t think it’ll hurt for you to learn about the trends, how certain foods/exercises/hormones/stress etc affect your BG levels. If you have the means to buy a libre sensor, I’d say give it a try but I think it is better to be educated first before getting one.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #2 MeiChanski, Jun 12, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 5:28 PM
  3. poemagraphic

poemagraphic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Matt
    You are in good company here my friend.
    I am T2 so not a clue what you are talking about... However this site is great for getting support at all kinds of levels.
    You will soon find who is worth reading and there will be lots of um! Trust me mate.

You will find help in abundance.
    Po

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #3 poemagraphic, Jun 12, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 5:48 PM
  4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hello and a big welcome to the forum ( that no one wants to be a member of:rolleyes:)
    . I would wait a little longer to get a CGM as type 1 is a big learning curve, so ease yourself into it and if you have any questions or worries, just ask and someone is normally around with helpful advice and support.
    Take care @MattHarman

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MattHarman

@Robinredbreast I thought that might be the case!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

welcome Matt :):):)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Route 66

Route 66 Type 2 · Member

Welcome from another newcomer :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Severe_Needle_phobia

Severe_Needle_phobia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Matt
    Warm welcome to the forum .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Matt,
    I would suggest getting to grips with the basics before going for a CGM. Start simple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. MattHarman

Thanks! Probably best to not overload myself with info

• Like Like x 1
  11. BeckiDover

BeckiDover Type 1 · Active Member

Definitely try out a freestyle libre!

I first had one 5 months after being diagnosed (2.5 years ago now) and it really helped me understand how my body acts to different carbs and alcohol etc so it really helps me with insulin doses and bg control. Plus it’s much easier than finger pricking, can do as many scans as you like everyday and it’s just, generally makes life with diabetes feel a bit more normal!

Only problem is they only last 2 weeks and if you’re self funding it can be expensive.

Mention it to your healthcare team at your next meeting and see if you meet the criteria to have it on prescription (I’m still trying to get it!)

• Like Like x 1
  12. MattHarman

Thanks Freema :)

Spent a lot of time reading through some of these forums and it's such a good resource!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook