Hello everyone

Lynn76

Hello, just introducing myself. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes last month, initially controlled by diet only, but last week I went to the diabetic clinic, and as I seemed to be having a few symptoms most worryingly my eyes, the nurse decided to put me onto Metaformin 500mg twice a day.
I purchased my own lancets, and testing strips as the nurse said there was no need to test, and as I have read on this site, how can you monitor and try to help yourself if you don't have the means to do so!
I am 54 years of age, (both my parents developed type 2 at around this age) I have been widowed for almost 8 years now, and I have custody of my 15 year old grandson, he's lived with me for nine years now.
I love animals, and have one dog, and three house cats, I enjoy photography, and play on line games. If anyone has similar interests to me I would welcome some correspondence. I live in South Yorkshire.
I hope to find some useful hints and tips on here, as the medical profession don't really tell you too much do they? :wink:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Lynn and welcome to the forum :) A fellow animal lover here.... You did well to buy yourself testing equipment as it's only by testing that you can see which foods you can eat which don't affect your BG levels too much and those that you can't eat at all. Test before meals then 2 hours after and the two readings should be similar if that food is OK for you. When you take your Metformin, be careful to take it with your meal, not before or after, otherwise you could have stomach problems. Here is some basic information written by our friends Ken and Sue, former monitors, for newly diagnosed, new members. I think it will help get you started on your road to good control of your diabetes.

Here is the advice that Ken and I, as Forum Monitors, usually give to newly diagnosed Diabetics. We hope that these few ideas gained through experience help you to gain control and give you some understanding of Diabetes. This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

For more information on CARBOHYDRATE see here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20306

This is NOT a low carb diet suggestion, just a reduction in your intake of carbohydrate. You have to decide yourself how much of a reduction will keep your blood glucose levels in control.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If you are on Insulin you may find that reducing the carb intake also means that you can reduce your dose of insulin. This can help you to keep weight gain down as Insulin tends to make you put on weight and eventually cause insulin resistance. This should be done slowly so as not to cause hypos.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating, then two hours after eating, you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the effect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try!!

For TIPS FOR STRIPS see here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19002#p173253

If you are an Insulin user in theory you should have no problem getting test strips.

The latest 2011 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking and before meals).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l...(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals........................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals......................... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do at least 30 minutes moderate exercise a day, it can be split into 10 min sessions to start with. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

The above is just general advice and it is recommended that you discuss with your HCP before making any changes. You can also ask questions on the forum on anything that is not clear.

Finally a few QUESTIONS TO ASK AT DIABETES CLINIC.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17091

Sue/Ken.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi lynn, welcome to us all here, animal lover too! I have 2 yorkies. Daisy above has given you some great pointers with metformin and testing your BS tips , and the newbies guide to read through n get some basic starting points. You will recieve help and support here on the forum , please ask any questions you feel/need. Good point you mentioned sometimes the HCP dont always explain things properly and it can leave you a bit in limbo. Here ask away and someone will come and help you along! Please keep in touch and let us know how you go on. Anna.x :D

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Lynne

Welcome to the wonderful world of diabetes. It may take a while to get used to but I found that it soon became just another part of my life. Exercise is so important. I'm sure with your grandson and Storm you will be getting a lot!! Excess weight is not good. Diet is also important and, in getting a meter, you have taken the first step in being able to work out which foods are good and which are bad - for you! It is also important to ensure that you have tight control of your blood pressure. The target that I was given, and which I achieve with medication, is 130/80. You will also be getting into regular trips to have blood taken for the long-term control indication of your diabetes (HbA1c). It's not so bad.

I am sure you will get a lot of help from the great people on this forum. You will also get care from your medical practitioners. It is important though, in my opinion, to educate yourself about diabetes and take charge of your own condition. As far as doctors and nurses go, they are partners with you in your care and your views count!!

Regards