Hello, First post - newly diagnosed

northernlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, glad to of found this forum

A bit on my background... No health problems ever until 2 yrs ago when I was having my 2nd child. It was discovered I had Gestational Diabites which was a bit of a shock. It was managed by insulin, and disappeared after my child was born.

Fast forward to now, over xmas. I had began feeling very tired ( looking back I had been for a while without realising it, putting it down to general life stress, and looking after a toddler as a single mum) I then developed an overwhelming thirst, and woke up one morning feeling very ill ( december 30th) I went to the Doctors and ended up that day in A&E and was admitted. They discovered basically I am now type 1. It is quite a shock, alougth I was warned Diabetes may return.. I didnt see it just 2yrs down the line returning with vengeance.

So, I am now just coming to terms with it all. My eyes were bad also, but the blurred vision has pretty much gone now. I am managing now to keep my levels under 10 - They wanted to bring them down slowly due to the swelling in my eyes. Im seeing lots more 6/7's readings so nearly there.

I think what worries me most is that I live very rural ( 75 mile round trp to the hospital/tesco/shops etc!) although I do have a local doctors ( approx 12 mile round trip) It does scare me a bit being so isolated and living alone. Anyway.. just have to deal with it dont you!

Its all very overhwhelming right now, but have some great friends supporting me, a couple of which have it to.

So Hello !

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Not a nice Christmas for you. I think you will find you get used to managing the insulin yourself very quickly and shouldn't need much surgery support going forward. I am able to email my Diabetic Nurse which is nice. You will find a lot of Type 1 support on this forum so you can always get input from others who have been thru it. Do ask any questions as they arise.

northernlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Not a nice Christmas for you. I think you will find you get used to managing the insulin yourself very quickly and shouldn't need much surgery support going forward. I am able to email my Diabetic Nurse which is nice. You will find a lot of Type 1 support on this forum so you can always get input from others who have been thru it. Do ask any questions as they arise.

Hi, thankyou!

Yes My NYE ( I was discharged from hospital next day) was sat at home in shock with a cup of tea and an early night! Ive met my Diabetic nurse she kindly drove out my house, and I have an appointment TBC at hospital with the dietician, and also to have my eyes screened and feet tested etc etc etc ! They do it all in one day which is handy then having to go in lots of times.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum Northernlass:)

The eyes do take time to settle down and its the high glucose that makes the lens of the eye swell which leads to the blurriness. It's good that you've got some friends supporting you and you can have all your diabetes checks carried out in one day, just try and persevere as things do get better in time and everything will begin to make more sense, any concerns or worry's come back to the forum as there's always someone around to lend a helping hand.

Best wishes!

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Hi, from the States, northernlass:D.
Sorry your holiday season was so bad; mine was too. I am newly diagnosed with T2 Diabetes; my eyes have been acting weird for a few months now, as well as having the usual symptoms of extreme exhaustion, foggy thinking and some neuropathy. I'm bringing down my glucose numbers through diet and exercise, and so far I've had some good results.I'm not as isolated as you seem to be, regarding getting around to shop, etc. but I am alone too, and it gets scary sometimes.
Hang in there, lass!

northernlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou, I have had to hypos and I found them really scary, and I went into full blown anxiety panic which didnt help. They have now lowered my Levermir levels, and explained to me about adjusting my novorapid to my intake. Hopefully will stablize a bit now.

Reactions: 2 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
We have some really helpful and knowledgeable Type 1 members here, if you have any questions try they Type 1 section in case they miss it here

Cara

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Northern Lass,

Glad you've made it on to the forum. I'm recently diagnosed too, You'll find everyone here really helpful and supportive. Looking back to last month I was asking some pretty basic questions on here but people took the time to answer and help alleviate the feeling of isolation. Sounds like you're getting to normal levels quite nicely. My eyes were blurred like yours. All back to normal now except for a small prescription for reading that seems to change each week !

Hope to see you around more
Steve

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou, I have had to hypos and I found them really scary, and I went into full blown anxiety panic which didnt help. They have now lowered my Levermir levels, and explained to me about adjusting my novorapid to my intake. Hopefully will stablize a bit now.
When you're ready, take a look at this, it helped me massively in my first couple of weeks. http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/listing.asp?M=Main

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
judgemental people, billy liars,
Hello and welcome, I'm new too and if you take time and trouble to look through or ask questions these guys will definitely help you. Good luck.

Chrissei

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having a constant craving for sugar !!!!! and all those cream cakes that stare at me when I am shopping and trying so hard to be good !!!! lol
Hi there, glad to of found this forum

A bit on my background... No health problems ever until 2 yrs ago when I was having my 2nd child. It was discovered I had Gestational Diabites which was a bit of a shock. It was managed by insulin, and disappeared after my child was born.

Fast forward to now, over xmas. I had began feeling very tired ( looking back I had been for a while without realising it, putting it down to general life stress, and looking after a toddler as a single mum) I then developed an overwhelming thirst, and woke up one morning feeling very ill ( december 30th) I went to the Doctors and ended up that day in A&E and was admitted. They discovered basically I am now type 1. It is quite a shock, alougth I was warned Diabetes may return.. I didnt see it just 2yrs down the line returning with vengeance.

So, I am now just coming to terms with it all. My eyes were bad also, but the blurred vision has pretty much gone now. I am managing now to keep my levels under 10 - They wanted to bring them down slowly due to the swelling in my eyes. Im seeing lots more 6/7's readings so nearly there.

I think what worries me most is that I live very rural ( 75 mile round trp to the hospital/tesco/shops etc!) although I do have a local doctors ( approx 12 mile round trip) It does scare me a bit being so isolated and living alone. Anyway.. just have to deal with it dont you!

Its all very overhwhelming right now, but have some great friends supporting me, a couple of which have it to.

So Hello !
Hi there I am also new to this I was diabetic when pregnant with my 1st child 19 yrs ago and had sugar in my urine everytime it was tested then in June I found out I was diabetic along with similar symptoms as you !!!! very worrying that you are so cut off !! Do you have neighbours close by that can help you out ???? I suppose having to make sure you have enough meds and test strips and food is essential for you to get through winter and having access to the internet is good as well to keep in contact with people who have the same disease and can offer support to you - so if you ever want a chat then drop me a line Chrissie

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Hi there I am also new to this I was diabetic when pregnant with my 1st child 19 yrs ago and had sugar in my urine everytime it was tested then in June I found out I was diabetic along with similar symptoms as you !!!! very worrying that you are so cut off !! Do you have neighbours close by that can help you out ???? I suppose having to make sure you have enough meds and test strips and food is essential for you to get through winter and having access to the internet is good as well to keep in contact with people who have the same disease and can offer support to you - so if you ever want a chat then drop me a line Chrissie

:)Welcome, Chrissei Glad that you joined us.
There are some really great people on this forum. I'm a newbie too, and members here helped and supported me from the first day.
Currently I have more stabilized blood sugar, and today I am feeling almost like my usual self.
Hang out, and like you said, the internet can be like a lifeline for some people. It is for me.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Welcome to our forum. It is a place of great experience and knowledge. I hope you find what you need from us

Take care

Doug

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App