Hello - From me (type 1) .... and my diabetic doggy!

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!
I joined this site years ago and I haven't really taken advantage of the forums on here so I thought I'd take the time to introduce myself - because I don't think I ever did when I actually joined! Which is pretty crazy, seeing as when I joined, I was in a bad way and could've really done with the support from fellow diabetics. (Thankfully I am not in that place now). Truth is, I always felt that horrible guilt when things are going wrong despite doing everything right! My, what a relief when I decided to let go of that feeling! I could then control things with far less stress and was so much happier when I could accept that a bad day was exactly that! A bad day - It didn't mean I was a failure!
I don't really have another diabetic to discuss things with and never have really so am used to dealing with things on my own. It has given me strength and independence but there are times when you really want to vent to somebody who can understand exactly what you're going through!

Anyway, I run a family business, which is a pet shop and have been there for 10 years now. Helping pets and their owners is what I do and gives me great satisfaction when I can see happy customers with happy pets. I am also a beginner photographer. It gives me a release and honestly helps me when I feel a little depressed and overwhelmed.

In terms of who I am in the diabetic community, I am a Type 1 and this is my 20th year. And not only that but last month my poor doggy Tia was also diagnosed with diabetes!
Being in the pet trade and also being a diabetic myself, I'd like to think of myself being in the best position for her treatment but my god is it a worry! I am constantly having to watch over her and am feeling a little stressed by it all.
If there are any of you out there with a diabetic pet - I would love to be able to talk with you. However, I've not introduced myself and Tia just for that purpose - I'd like to become a member of the community and get to know you all!

I have added a couple of photo's of the more photogenic of the two of us for you to see :) Sorry if the images are a bit large or even if they don't appear! I've not uploaded images here before and I haven't had chance to resize them where I'm typing this!

Kat x

Attachments

• IMG_7605 - Final.jpg
    IMG_7605 - Final.jpg
    939.9 KB · Views: 206
  • TiaColour.jpg
    TiaColour.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: 18 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
A warm welcome to the forum :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum, lovely pics and such a beautiful name too:)
Best wishes RRB

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
best advice is to check your dog food ..most are full of carbs
I would go natural with meat, offal and fat

you also may find a dog forum for info on diabetic dog as well

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
What a bonny doggy Tia is .
Love her name - and her the doggy too :)

Welcome to the forum . :D

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Kat, many years ago my first dog developed diabetes at the age of 14. He died of old age a couple of years later. All I did was match his insulin to the food he ate and always carried glucose dissolved in milk in case of hypo. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A warm welcome to the forum Kat :)

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kat, many years ago my first dog developed diabetes at the age of 14. He died of old age a couple of years later. All I did was match his insulin to the food he ate and always carried glucose dissolved in milk in case of hypo. :)

Aww what breed did you have? Tia is 11 and is on a low carb food but since being on insulin, she's a bit depressed and doesn't want to eat. We have a tube of liquid glucose ready for her just in case.

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
best advice is to check your dog food ..most are full of carbs
I would go natural with meat, offal and fat

you also may find a dog forum for info on diabetic dog as well

Thanks - I work in the pet trade and am aware of the rubbish that is in most foods and also how much of the foods are carb heavy. Even those designed for diabetic pets are full of carbs! We have been trying Tia with natural foods (as that is what we usually recommend to our customers) but she's not enthusiastic about those either. It's almost the same behaviour as a fussy child when you put something they're unsure of in front of them. She looks at the bowl and then back at you as if to say "Am I supposed to eat that?" lol. It's amazing because before, she would demolish anything!

Reactions: 2 people

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all the welcomes and compliments on how beautiful Tia is - I always think she is but then I am biased :) We also have her sister who is two years younger and they make a lovely looking pair out on a walk. They're complete chalk and cheese though. Tia is a typical aloof, graceful, dignified hound who likes a small amount of attention but not a cuddle. Jess is clumsy, cuddly and completely mental and loves to be centre of attention.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Aww what breed did you have? Tia is 11 and is on a low carb food but since being on insulin, she's a bit depressed and doesn't want to eat. We have a tube of liquid glucose ready for her just in case.
Jake was a Collie :) Perhaps if you have changed her food she isn't happy about it. Do you think she associates injections with food?

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jake was a Collie :) Perhaps if you have changed her food she isn't happy about it. Do you think she associates injections with food?

Did you find that Jake adjusted well?
We did wonder about association, but we have split her food into 3 meals a day so that she doesn't have insulin with every meal. She's never usually fussy and she's on a premium food. Even her favourite meals don't excite her any more. She would do pretty much anything for salmon. But now, it's like she may as well have a bowl of rotten fish for as much interest it gets.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Did you find that Jake adjusted well?
We did wonder about association, but we have split her food into 3 meals a day so that she doesn't have insulin with every meal. She's never usually fussy and she's on a premium food. Even her favourite meals don't excite her any more. She would do pretty much anything for salmon. But now, it's like she may as well have a bowl of rotten fish for as much interest it gets.
Yes he adjusted very well as kept his routine exactly the same didn't change his food or exercise either as he was a working Collie :) Only thing which was frustrating with him was he couldn't tell me if he was hypo, but would tell me in no uncertain terms I was hypo :rolleyes:

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A warm welcome to the forum to yourself and Tia.

Lovely photos of Tia.

I've always had a love of photography but have really taken it on a fair bit since I have been diabetic and find it really helps take my mind off things and allows me to channel my energies in to something that people get joy out of.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
What a lovely pooch, beautiful, she is in the right hands with you, i read last night in a barbara woodhouse book that 'we gets the pets we deserve', i know you would be the best for her because you have the knowledge. Most meat is low carb almost zero carb for some but proteins raise the blood too but not as bad as the stuff they put in the commercial dog food its a balancing act as you know, anyway, welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: