Hello, from newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone, I've been glued to this website since I was told just over 2 weeks ago that I am type 2 diabetic. I had a blood test in August 15 but didn't get the results until recently. I had been left a message from the dr telling me that my blood test results were fine and nothing to worry about, just slightly anaemic. I have been thirsty a lot and panic if I don't have a water bottle with me, especially at work if we have any meetings. It does get embarrassing. I have also been feeling like I am falling forward a lot, even when sitting down. I am due to see the nurse this Friday after work to discuss things. She has written me a prescription for metformin, but I havent taken it yet as I work full time and apparently it gives you a very bad stomach? I would also like to buy a testing machine and see if I can lower my blood glucose with a low carb diet? I have seen many ideas on here for this and am keen to get a machine as soon as I am paid next week. I want to find one with the cheapest replacement strips though. I must admit I am very confused and am finding myself looking at a cupboard full of food that I daren't eat now. I used to eat low fat (when I could stick to it) but have yo yo dieted for years now, losing 3 stone and putting it back on. Now my ryvitas at approx 7 carbs per slice seem bad :( I also love bananas and went around Sainsburys today checking the carbs of various fruit and veg and was mortified to see that a banana has about 20 carbs in it :bag: I also love crisps and used to buy the baked wheat or grain kind and now see that a bag of these has about 17g in it:arghh:. I walk from the city centre to where I work every day which is approximately a 25 minute walk, but I am going to try to walk from home to work which is about 1.5 hours. The only problem is, my feet have always been very dry and have quite a deep crack in one at the moment which gets worse when I walk much on it. I had my 50th birthday this year, and wanted to be fit and fifty and feel very depressed now. Does anyone else know if metformin always upsets their stomach? Also, I like to go for a drink at the weekend and apparently this makes you very sick with Metformin. Sorry to go on and moan but am feeling very down at the moment. :shy: I think the nurse said my blood was 17 and should have been about 5-7. Im not sure which test this was taken from though and will check this Friday.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @jal16

I believe the SR (slow release) version of Metformin is easier on the stomach, as for a bg meter with cheap test strips the SD Codefree meter is the one to go for.

I'll tag @daisy1 to give you some useful information & advice. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
1035593, member: 11028"]Welcome to the forum @jal16

I believe the SR (slow release) version of Metformin is easier on the stomach, as for a bg meter with cheap test strips the SD Codefree meter is the one to go for.

I'll tag @daisy1 to give you some useful information & advice. Good luck.
[/QUOTE]
Hi noblehead, thanks for your reply and help. I dont know which Metformin she has prescribed, she said to try to take 2 tablets with meals and if my stomach couldnt take it to reduce it to one. Ill definately go for that bg meter as soon as Im paid next week. Thanks again.

Reactions: 5 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello jal16. Welcome to the Forum. Everyone is helpful, supportive, friendly and knowledgeable. If you have any questions to ask? Just post them on the forum, someone will answer them.:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing great. You have found this forum and have been taking note of the way forward, looking at carb content of your foods, buying a meter, and intending to try to control this disease. That is an excellent start!

You can get the SD Codefree starter pack from here http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/ and extra test strips from here http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/
They are about the cheapest on the market, and many of us on here use it. There is a discount code if you buy 5 or 10 packs of extra strips.

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Brian109

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, judgemental people
Your in good hands on here I've found it very informative myself ,and as everyone has said the sd code free machine is the cheapest I've seen around bought mine last week plus the data lead that hooks your sd to your computer to upload then print your results as for the metformin I myself have not had any problems really and I take 4 x 500 mg a day,

Reactions: 5 people
P

paula.nolan42

Hello Jal16

I began on 1 metformin a day for a week then I had to take 2 a day. I've had no problems with it at all. I was out last Friday for drinks with friends and I apart from a hangover I was fine, turns out this new healthy eating regime makes me a lightweight now

Good luck with everything.

Reactions: 7 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@jal16

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Do get treatment urgently for the deep crack in your foot as feet are very vulnerable if you're diabetic and damage can become a very serious problem. You are on the right track limiting carbs and this information, which we give to new members, should help you with your diet which in turn which will help your levels. Ask any questions you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone, I've been glued to this website since I was told just over 2 weeks ago that I am type 2 diabetic. I had a blood test in August 15 but didn't get the results until recently. I had been left a message from the dr telling me that my blood test results were fine and nothing to worry about, just slightly anaemic. I have been thirsty a lot and panic if I don't have a water bottle with me, especially at work if we have any meetings. It does get embarrassing. I have also been feeling like I am falling forward a lot, even when sitting down. I am due to see the nurse this Friday after work to discuss things. She has written me a prescription for metformin, but I havent taken it yet as I work full time and apparently it gives you a very bad stomach? I would also like to buy a testing machine and see if I can lower my blood glucose with a low carb diet? I have seen many ideas on here for this and am keen to get a machine as soon as I am paid next week. I want to find one with the cheapest replacement strips though. I must admit I am very confused and am finding myself looking at a cupboard full of food that I daren't eat now. I used to eat low fat (when I could stick to it) but have yo yo dieted for years now, losing 3 stone and putting it back on. Now my ryvitas at approx 7 carbs per slice seem bad :( I also love bananas and went around Sainsburys today checking the carbs of various fruit and veg and was mortified to see that a banana has about 20 carbs in it :bag: I also love crisps and used to buy the baked wheat or grain kind and now see that a bag of these has about 17g in it:arghh:. I walk from the city centre to where I work every day which is approximately a 25 minute walk, but I am going to try to walk from home to work which is about 1.5 hours. The only problem is, my feet have always been very dry and have quite a deep crack in one at the moment which gets worse when I walk much on it. I had my 50th birthday this year, and wanted to be fit and fifty and feel very depressed now. Does anyone else know if metformin always upsets their stomach? Also, I like to go for a drink at the weekend and apparently this makes you very sick with Metformin. Sorry to go on and moan but am feeling very down at the moment. :shy: I think the nurse said my blood was 17 and should have been about 5-7. Im not sure which test this was taken from though and will check this Friday.
Hi Jal16. Welcome. I've been taking metformin for a couple of months now and I haven't had a problem with it. I always take mine in the middle of each meal, 3 x 500mg each day. Maybe you need to get your foot sorted before you're going for lengthy walks, it must be very painful.:confused: I've found Diprobase cream really good for dry feet. You may get your feet routinely checked as a diabetic. I'm waiting for an appointment with a podiatrist.
I'm so sorry you're feeling down but once you get your head around it and take control, you'll begin to feel better, and there's so much help and support right here. :) Stay in touch and let us know how you're getting on. Best wishes, Jan x

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone, thanks so much for your replies and info. :) I appreciate all of the help and advice. I've been at work all day and don't seem to be able to log in on my mobile at the moment so couldn't post a reply sooner :confused: Ill try to see if I can see my saved password on my laptop. Thanks Brian 109 for your support and information about the metformin and machine. And Bluetit 1802 for the encouraging message and link. Also Liam 1955 for your support. 4ratbags for the welcome, your weightloss is fantastic and Paul.nolan42 for the advice about having a drink!! Ill probably not be able to drink too much if I lose enough weight on this low carb diet but its proving difficult!! Thanks about all of the advice regarding Metformin as I havn't started on it yet, I'm not even sure what it does as opposed to other medication or diet? You all seem so helpful and thanks for all of that info that you posted Daisy1. Im going to keep looking through it all but I must admit I am finding myself getting upset thinking about all the changes this diagnosis means. I used to go into town and maybe grab a Greggs sausage roll, only occasionally, but it wasn't something that I wasn't supposed to have. The same as a pizza or pastie/pie. It's not that I spent my whole life having takeaway food but now, it seems that even a chinese or indian has too many carbs in it? I've looked at the meals without the rice/pasta/chips but don't know if I'm going to be able to do this for ever. I was always a lower fat eater and loved rice, pasta, baked potatoes etc. I looked at the carbs in a flat bread today to create perhaps a pizza from scratch one day and its huge, and I checked out Almond flour today in Sainsburys on my lunchhour and it was 5 pounds a bag!!!o_O I was always someone who liked buying a bargain before but it seems that this may be a thing of the past :eek: I have seen the recipe for the fathead pizza and was going to try to recreate it but to be honest, that would be far too expensive. I do feel like I have got to forget my previous way of life as I used to make things like Mushroom stroganoff with Swhartcz sauce sachets but these look like they're about 90 carbs!!! If I am supposed to post in a different area now please let me know as I'm not sure where to post new comments/threads now but thanks to all of you guys again for your support :stop::stop:

Reactions: 3 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jal16. Welcome. I've been taking metformin for a couple of months now and I haven't had a problem with it. I always take mine in the middle of each meal, 3 x 500mg each day. Maybe you need to get your foot sorted before you're going for lengthy walks, it must be very painful.:confused: I've found Diprobase cream really good for dry feet. You may get your feet routinely checked as a diabetic. I'm waiting for an appointment with a podiatrist.
I'm so sorry you're feeling down but once you get your head around it and take control, you'll begin to feel better, and there's so much help and support right here. :) Stay in touch and let us know how you're getting on. Best wishes, Jan x
Hi juicyjan53, thanks for your message. Im going to try the metformin I think after this weekend but I have read that it doesn't necessarily help to lower blood glucose but just help with the heart in the future? I don't know what to believe anymore. My foot is painful and as soon as I can Ill go to a podiatrist but I dont think the doctors will send me. I do put scholl cream on it most nights at the moment. Its ironic, because my mum died in my early 30's and I was offered foot care because she was a diabetic type 2, but now it appears that I cant get foot care on the NHS and I'm 50!! Ill look up that cream you mention. A dr told me to use Pickles ointment for dry skin but it was quite severe and takes away all of your good skin as well as dry/hard skin and cracks. Ill let you know how I get on with the Metformin. :wideyed:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi jal16. Metformin is usually the first drug prescribed for Type 2 Diabetes. It will help to lower your blood sugars, along with changing your diet and doing exercise. If you would like to look at various "diets"? Go to the top of this page and on the left hand side you will see FORUMS - tap on this, then scroll down to FOOD and NUTRITION there you will see: Low Carb Diets, - Low Calorie Diets etc - just tap on which ever heading. My Diabetes Nurse told me to use just plain Vaseline on my dry skin on my heels and do you know it works. But, if you have foot problems? You really need to see your GP in the hope of being referred to Podiatry Services. Hope this is of some help? :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
[QUOTE="j I checked out Almond flour today in Sainsburys on my lunchhour and it was 5 pounds a bag!!!o_O [/QUOTE]

Hi @jal16 and welcome to the forum. My diet was similar to yours before I was diagnosed, but I have had to change it and cook more from scratch.
I bought that Almond Flour from Sainsburys when I first started a Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach.to eating, but found you can buy it cheaper in Holland & Barretts, and they often do 2 for 1 or other promotions and I stock up then. They also sell soy (soya) flour which is cheaper. And coconut flour which is good for biscuits and cakes.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @jal16 and welcome to the forum. My diet was similar to yours before I was diagnosed, but I have had to change it and cook more from scratch.
I bought that Almond Flour from Sainsburys when I first started a Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach.to eating, but found you can buy it cheaper in Holland & Barretts, and they often do 2 for 1 or other promotions and I stock up then. They also sell soy (soya) flour which is cheaper. And coconut flour which is good for biscuits and cakes.
[/QUOTE]

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Prem51. I never thought to look in Holland & Barretts before apart from the odd vitamin tablet but Ill check them out now. Thats a great help. Thanks again ;)

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi juicyjan53, thanks for your message. Im going to try the metformin I think after this weekend but I have read that it doesn't necessarily help to lower blood glucose but just help with the heart in the future? I don't know what to believe anymore. My foot is painful and as soon as I can Ill go to a podiatrist but I dont think the doctors will send me. I do put scholl cream on it most nights at the moment. Its ironic, because my mum died in my early 30's and I was offered foot care because she was a diabetic type 2, but now it appears that I cant get foot care on the NHS and I'm 50!! Ill look up that cream you mention. A dr told me to use Pickles ointment for dry skin but it was quite severe and takes away all of your good skin as well as dry/hard skin and cracks. Ill let you know how I get on with the Metformin. :wideyed:
Hi again. I get Diprobase on prescription and it's free because I'm over 60 (it's about the only benefit of getting old...!). :rolleyes:However, I believe if you have been diagnosed with diabetes that you will receive ALL your prescriptions free, which happens with most chronic health issues; my daughter gets all hers free because she has epilepsy. Check this out in your local pharmacy, I think it's simply filling a form in. In my GP practice you self-refer for podiatry but I don't know if this is commonplace. I would get on to it because, as you know, feet problems are a higher risk for diabetics. Since diagnosis I've also had a retinopathy test on my eyes, so you'll probably get that too.
It's all a lot to get your head around isn't it? I have to say that food hasn't been too bad. I have fairly simple foods like fish, chicken, eggs, veggies and some fruit. I particularly like Greek yogurt and also nuts. You fairly quickly get used to checking food labels for carbs. You will settle in to it eventually I promise. Take care, Jan x

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Prem51. I never thought to look in Holland & Barretts before apart from the odd vitamin tablet but Ill check them out now. Thats a great help. Thanks again ;)
You're welcome. Also take out a H&B loyalty card as you get discounts and email notification of offers with it.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello and Welcome to the best site on the net....:)

Reactions: 4 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and Welcome to the best site on the net....:)
Thanks, it certainly seems to be the most friendly, helpful, informative site I've found since being diagnosed. I am due to see the nurse tomorrow evening and have a few questions to ask thanks to the help of reading all the members comments on this site. :) I dont feel like I am going in to my first appointment ignorant and sitting there willing to take any advice the NHS offers!!

Reactions: 4 people