Hello, I'm new and want to help my T2 and pre-diabetic sisters.

LizRich

Hi. I am a retired nurse who has lived a keto then low carb life for about the last 25 years. I have a sister who died after surgery, of ketoacidosis. I have another sister who has been T2 for the last 10 years and third who developed Pre-diabetes.Over the years I've tried to help them but failed. I failed to help them because I couldn't help them understand how Carbs turn to glucose simply enough, and the advice they were getting from their diabetic nurse was at odds with my own way of eating. They are now both very interested in addressing their diabetes and are looking to me for advice. I was a health visitor so my slant on health is prevention, early detection and helping people improve their lifestyles within the resources they have. I am aware of the Diet Doctor, due to low carb eating but it is only this week that I have found and watched Dr David Unwin. What an inspiration! I have bought my T2 sister the Carbs and Calorie counter book for Christmas. 3 years ago she lost 2 stone with WW and over the last 6 months has lost early a stone following WW principles but her biggest achievement, and current motivation, is that her hba1c has improved. She has currently stalled but is determined to improve her bloods after Christmas. A fourth sister (overweight and non- medical) has been overbearing in telling them both that they must do intermittent fasting. Unfortunately this doesn't fit in with their lifestyles so both became disillusioned and confused. Anyway, I am going to refer them to this forum. My question to you is - what can I do to support them and would you advise that they use a glucometer to determine how the food they eat affects them? I have already picked up some tips from the Drs Unwin but I would appreciate advice from people who are living with T2 or are in remission. Thank you.

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I would absolutely advise that they use a glucometer to see how their food is affecting them. There is nothing like seeing the readings in front of you to really help you to understand what's happening. It has been an absolute essential for me, and the single most useful tool to judge how I'm doing, and make the necessary tweaks when needed.

LizRich

Personally, I would absolutely advise that they use a glucometer to see how their food is affecting them. There is nothing like seeing the readings in front of you to really help you to understand what's happening. It has been an absolute essential for me, and the single most useful tool to judge how I'm doing, and make the necessary tweaks when needed.
Thank you Kate. Is there a particular glucometer that works the most reliably?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what can I do to support them and would you advise that they use a glucometer to determine how the food they eat affects them?
Get them to join the forum themselves. People really need to take control of their own health and giving sisterly advice even with the best of intentions won't have as much impact.
And yes a glucometer is a great tool for seeing individual reactions to foods.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi @LizRich and welcome to the forum.
I wish I had a dsn like you, over a decade ago.

I would add to the reply above, is when you use your glucometer, your readings and what you have to eat, and put the results in a food diary, any other information health or otherwise, will help you, your sister and the medical care team you and your family use. The info and the Hba1c levels, will decide if meds are necessary or further adjust your dietary intake.

I myself, use intermittent fasting, because I can. Some T2s can't, along with good fats and proteins, and exercise that is beneficial, even if it is walking or household chores. Just walking up and down the stairs a few times will help. Not everyone can do a full exercise regime. Mainly because of age or other conditions.

I have no doubt that you are aware that your sisters T2 may be slightly different than you. And the lifestyle should also be different. What works for you, May not work for your sister. But low carb should work for all three of you.

God to have you on board.

Keep safe.

Reactions: Rokaab

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Kate. Is there a particular glucometer that works the most reliably?
I'm afraid I don't have much experience of different monitors - I was given one when diagnosed in hospital and still get the test strips on prescription (for now) so haven't really needed to look at alternatives myself yet.

However, there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here who will be able to advise.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @LizRich and welcome to the forum. It is lovely that you want to help your sisters, but as @bulkbiker says please encourage them to join the forum themselves. If they read nothing else suggest they read the success stories here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
Also I second what others have said about monitoring so here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews, links to the strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:
https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. All glucometers have to meet the same standard of accuracy so the choice comes down to test strip cost, size and so.

LizRich

Get them to join the forum themselves. People really need to take control of their own health and giving sisterly advice even with the best of intentions won't have as much impact.
And yes a glucometer is a great tool for seeing individual reactions to foods.
Thank you. Yes, I will encourage her to join this group but at 72 she isn't much of a technology user. My aim is to help her understand starch, sugars and glucose so she can be in control. I may have added to her confusion by talking about carbs due to my Keto/low carb lifestyle.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Glucometer is your answer, and frankly, any reasonable quality one will do. If someone eats something that isn't good for their diabetes, their blood levels will go up. Generally the effect will be quite alarming. It's the purest rebuttal to all the screeds of nonsense about good carbs vs bad carbs, whole foods, plant based, vegan, organic or what have you. If you eat to the meter, and the meter says yes, you have demonstrable evidence you're on the right track: the rest is bunk.