Hello. New Type 2

SamMac

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I'm Sam, 45, diagnosed with Type 2 just over two weeks ago. BMI, cholestrol and blood pressure all fine, blood sugar through the roof. So much to take on but just wanted to say that I've been lurking on this site and forum and have found them very helpful.

I tried (whole grain) bread this morning for the first time in two weeks and it caused an alarming spike in my blood glucose; otherwise I've been following a low carb diet and it seems to be paying off; I feel sort of in control of this turn of events, and others like it, because I discovered the forum.

I have searched but can't find an answer to this question (and I will ask my Diabetic Nurse when I see her next week). Playing piano is a hobby of mine, and important to me, so I wonder: is there another place aside from my fingers I can prick to test my blood glucose? My playing hasn't really been affected but I notice the occasional twinge from the healing when pressure is exerted on the keyboard -- and I have a piano exam in two weeks!

My nurse also told me I shouldn't prick my thumb or index finger when testing. In the haze of shock and information that day I didn't establish why. Is this correct?

Thanks, this place really has been very helpful.

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome,

In six weeks of testing I have learnt to always use the side of the finger about an eighth of an inch beneath the nail.

I always use the little finger on my left hand, after going through them all, this is the least sensitive.
Some people swap sides then fingers in rotation.

I stick to the little finger because although it resembles a pin cushion (I test eight times per day) I think after six weeks of being pricked it is quite immune to pain.

I wish you good luck

Mart

SamMac

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome,

In six weeks of testing I have learnt to always use the side of the finger about an eighth of an inch beneath the nail.

I always use the little finger on my left hand, after going through them all, this is the least sensitive.
Some people swap sides then fingers in rotation.

I stick to the little finger because although it resembles a pin cushion (I test eight times per day) I think after six weeks of being pricked it is quite immune to pain.

I wish you good luck

Mart
Thanks, Mart, that's helpful.

Swapping sides and fingers seems to be working OK for me.

I still wonder, if anybody knows, why my diabetic nurse advised not to prick the thumbs or index fingers? Perhaps the skin is too thick on the thumb ...

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thumb and the index fingers are the ones we use for holding a pen, and picking things up eg a coin, I would imagine this is why they advise against pricking those.

I have also just realised whilst writing this reply, I am a two fingered typist and type with my index fingers, and hit the space bar with my thumbs ;- It's only my theory and I am sticking to it!!!!

P.S. Thanks for the reply

Mart