hello & supplement doses question

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone

It is great starting to come here again after a bit of an absence..... hope all are doing well!!

got a question about the doses of supplements I should be taken. I have started taking Cinnamon cassia and chromium picolinate and i am not sure whether it is ok to stick to the dosage recommended or as diabetics should we have more.

At present i am taking:

Chromium Picolinate - 1 x 200ug tablet (which is 500% of RDA)
Cinnamon cassia - 4 x 500mg tablets (two with each meal)

is this ok?

thanks & cheers
claudette x x

Defren

Hey Claudette, great to see you back. Hope you had a great time.

I can't help you with the Cinnamon or Chromium as I don't take either. I know Xyzzy takes a few supplements as does Sweetheart. Xyzzy is busy this week, but hopefully he will catch this, or Jules will see it.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I also thought...does it matter what time of day the Chromium and Cinnamon are taken?

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Hi Claudette,

I take cinnamon - 3 x 500mg per day with food.

I don't take Chromium but I do take Gymnema 3 x 400mg with food and Vit B12 500mg per day. The 'eye' doctor at the hospital told me to take omega 3 and fish oil supplements - I don't have an eye problem, luckily - but she said it helps to keep it that way.

I don't know if any of this is helping and I am beginning to rattle but if it is not harming me then surely it must be worth trying.....

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Claudette

Hope you are well. :wave:

I take the same 200ug of Chromium as you. Info on max dose can be found here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Chromium.html. I have seen other members post that they take far more than one 200ug tablet a day.

On the Cinnamon there is some cause for concern if you take too much especially with the Cassia variety as it contains a substance called courmin that can cause stomach problems. At some point I worked out that someone weighing around 90kg who took 1.5grams / day would be consuming somewhere between 30 and 60% of the tolerated safe daily dose of courmin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin

European health agencies have warned against consuming high amounts of cassia bark, one of the four species of cinnamon, because of its coumarin content.[not in citation given][13] According to the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BFR), 1 kg of (cassia) cinnamon powder contains approximately 2.1 to 4.4 g of coumarin.[14] Powdered Cassia Cinnamon weighs 0.56 g/cc;[15] therefore, 1 kg of Cassia Cinnamon powder is equal to 362.29 teaspoons (1000 g divided by 0.56 g/cc multiplied by 0.20288 tsp/cc). This means 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder contains 5.8 to 12.1 mg of coumarin, which may be above the Tolerable Daily Intake for smaller individuals.[14]

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for the answers.... i ll probably decrease the Cinnamon to 3 a day and might increase the Chromium.... :)