1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

hello & supplement doses question

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by claymic, Jun 19, 2012.

1. claymic

claymic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone

It is great starting to come here again after a bit of an absence..... hope all are doing well!!

got a question about the doses of supplements I should be taken. I have started taking Cinnamon cassia and chromium picolinate and i am not sure whether it is ok to stick to the dosage recommended or as diabetics should we have more.

At present i am taking:

Chromium Picolinate - 1 x 200ug tablet (which is 500% of RDA)
    Cinnamon cassia - 4 x 500mg tablets (two with each meal)

is this ok?

thanks & cheers
    claudette x x

2. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

Hey Claudette, great to see you back. Hope you had a great time.

I can't help you with the Cinnamon or Chromium as I don't take either. I know Xyzzy takes a few supplements as does Sweetheart. Xyzzy is busy this week, but hopefully he will catch this, or Jules will see it.

3. claymic

I also thought...does it matter what time of day the Chromium and Cinnamon are taken?

4. Truffle

Truffle Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Claudette,

I take cinnamon - 3 x 500mg per day with food.

I don't take Chromium but I do take Gymnema 3 x 400mg with food and Vit B12 500mg per day. The 'eye' doctor at the hospital told me to take omega 3 and fish oil supplements - I don't have an eye problem, luckily - but she said it helps to keep it that way.

I don't know if any of this is helping and I am beginning to rattle but if it is not harming me then surely it must be worth trying.....

5. xyzzy

xyzzy Other · Well-Known Member

Hi Claudette

Hope you are well. :wave:

I take the same 200ug of Chromium as you. Info on max dose can be found here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Chromium.html. I have seen other members post that they take far more than one 200ug tablet a day.

On the Cinnamon there is some cause for concern if you take too much especially with the Cassia variety as it contains a substance called courmin that can cause stomach problems. At some point I worked out that someone weighing around 90kg who took 1.5grams / day would be consuming somewhere between 30 and 60% of the tolerated safe daily dose of courmin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin

6. claymic

thanks for the answers.... i ll probably decrease the Cinnamon to 3 a day and might increase the Chromium.... :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook