Hello UK! Newcastle Diet from Texas progress thread.

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello!

My wife recently found out a thing or two about this Newcastle Diet in passing, and sure enough I felt very inclined to give it a shot. To give you some background, I'm 30 years old and was diagnosed 3 years ago. Unfortunately I didn't adjust well to the strict routine and as of January 2015 I was diagnosed with an A1C result of a 12. Getting those numbers really changed things for me and I went on a strict regimen that brought me down to 6.2 as of December. This included a weight loss from 220 pounds (15.7 stone) to 195 (13.8 stone) as of January 1st over the course of the last year.

hSs4gqn.jpg

Now I don't really fit the average profile for a type 2 diabetic and the doctors always seemed to be a little baffled when they would hear my diagnosis, but the tests don't lie. I always wondered whether it had to do with my fat distribution on my body, as I literally have only stomach fat and am skinny everywhere else. When my wife found out about the Newcastle's theory on organ fat, it really rang a bell for me as a possibility for my condition-Although this diet is completely unknown here in the US. As a result here I am undergoing this method, so thank you UK for offering a dietary glimmer of hope!

I spent a few days researching alternatives to Optifast (seeing it isn't readily available in the US) and found alternative shakes with the same caloric content at 200cal mixed with the non-starchy vegetables. As of now I'm 8 days in and the results have been pretty remarkable already. It's an incredibly brutal diet to undertake-So the downsides and the low energy have been unpleasant but I am intent on keeping my eyes on the prize: A reversal for my T2 diagnosis and to get off my oral medication. As of now I'm running this test with half the dosage of metformin (500mg once a day instead of twice) and I'm seeing numbers I haven't seen since before my diagnosis. Within a week I'm in healthy blood sugar levels-That's really remarkable.

I'll be sharing my progress regularly including what I've been eating to stave off these monstrous hunger pangs so please join me. I've already figured out a few recipes that were not in the Newcastle pamphlet. So here we go!

(note: I started the diet after a rather unhealthy few days with family. Preparing myself for such extreme restriction meant a few dietary liberties, thus the higher glucose reading in the first few days)

Fasting Blood Sugar Progress Chart mmol/L-mg/dl (800 kcal diet)

January:

Day 0: 10 / 180
Day 1: 10.5 / 190
Day 2: 9.8 /175
Day 3: 8.3 /148
Day 4: 6.7 / 123
Day 5: 6.4 / 112
Day 6: 5.7 / 103
Day 7: 5.0 / 90
Day 8: 5.6 / 100
Day 9: 4.8 / 87
Day 10: 4.5 / 81
Day 11: 4.6 / 83
Day 12: 5.1 / 92
Day 13: 6.0 /105 (Removed daily Januvia medication due to side effects)
Day 14: 4.1 / 74
Day 15: 4.7 / 84
Day 16: 4.1 / 76
Day 17: 4.6 / 83
Day 18: 4.7 / 84
Day 19: 4.8 / 87
Day 20: 4.4 / 80
Day 21: 4.6 / 83
Day 22: 4.9 / 89
Day 23: 4.4 / 79
Day 24: 4.3 / 78
Day 25: 4.3 / 77
Day 26: 4.9 / 89

February:

Day 1: 4.5 / 81
Day 2: 4.3 / 78
Day 3: 4.3 / 77
Day 4: 4.2 / 75
Day 5: 4.1 / 76
Day 6: 4.8 / 87
Day 7: 5.2 / 94
Day 8: 4.9 / 89
Day 9: 4.3 / 77
Day 10: 4.6 / 83
Day 11: 4.7 / 84
Day 12: 4.5 / 81
Day 13: 5.0 / 91
Day 14: 4.7 /84
Day 15: 4.7 / 84
Day 16: 5.0 / 91 *(Stopped taking Metformin completely) (100g carb tolerance test)
Day 17: 5.2 / 94
Day 18: N/A (Glucose meter malfunction, replaced)
Day 19:
5.0 / 90
Day 20: 4.7 / 84
Day 21: 4.5 / 81
Day 22: 4.8 / 88
Day 23: 4.6 / 83
Day 24: 4.8 / 88
Day 25: 4.7 / 84
Day 26: 5.3 / 95
Day 27: 5.1 / 92
Day 28: 4.8 / 88
Day 29: 4.7 / 84 (Final Day)

Weight:
Pre-diet: 14 Stone / 195 pounds

January 2016:
Week 1: 13.5 Stone / 189 pounds -6 pounds/.5 stone
Week 2: 13.1 Stone / 184.5 pounds -5 pounds/.4 stone
Week 3: 12.8 Stone / 180 pounds -4.5 pounds/.3 stone
Week 4: 12.55 Stone / 177 pounds -3 pounds/.2 stone

Total January: 18.5 pounds lost / 1.35 stone

February 2016:
Week 1: 12.45 Stone / 174.4 pounds
-2.6 pounds / .18 stone
Week 2: 12.3 Stone / 172.4 pounds -2 pounds / .15 stone
Week 3: 12 Stone / 169 pounds -3.4 pounds / .3 stone
Week 4: 12 Stone / 168 pounds -1 pounds / .1 stone

Total February: 9 pounds lost / .65 stone

TOTAL LOST DURING NEWCASTLE:
27.5 pounds / 2 stone

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi welcome to the forum :) I enjoyed reading your post and look forward to reading more from you. Well done on your results so far :)

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

My wife recently found out a thing or two about this Newcastle Diet in passing, and sure enough I felt very inclined to give it a shot. To give you some background, I'm 30 years old and was diagnosed 3 years ago. Unfortunately I didn't adjust well to the strict routine and as of January 2015 I was diagnosed with an A1C result of a 12. Getting those numbers really changed things for me and I went on a strict regimen that brought me down to 6.2 as of December. This included a weight loss from 220 pounds (15.7 stone) to 195 (13.8 stone) as of January 1st over the course of the last year.

hSs4gqn.jpg

Now I don't really fit the average profile for a type 2 diabetic and the doctors always seemed to be a little baffled when they would hear my diagnosis, but the tests don't lie. I always wondered whether it had to do with my fat distribution on my body, as I literally have only stomach fat and am skinny everywhere else. When my wife found out about the Newcastle's theory on organ fat, it really rang a bell for me as a possibility for my condition-Although this diet is completely unknown here in the US. As a result here I am undergoing this method, so thank you UK for offering a dietary glimmer of hope!

I spent a few days researching alternatives to Optifast (seeing it isn't readily available in the US) and found alternative shakes with the same caloric content at 200cal mixed with the non-starchy vegetables. As of now I'm 8 days in and the results have been pretty remarkable already. It's an incredibly brutal diet to undertake-So the downsides and the low energy have been unpleasant but I am intent on keeping my eyes on the prize: A reversal for my T2 diagnosis and to get off my oral medication. As of now I'm running this test with half the dosage of metformin (500mg once a day instead of twice) and I'm seeing numbers I haven't seen since before my diagnosis. Within a week I'm in healthy blood sugar levels-That's really remarkable.

I'll be sharing my progress regularly including what I've been eating to stave off these monstrous hunger pangs so please join me. I've already figured out a few recipes that were not in the Newcastle pamphlet. So here we go!

(note: I started the diet after a rather unhealthy few days with family. Preparing myself for such extreme restriction meant a few dietary liberties, thus the higher glucose reading in the first few days)

Fasting Blood Sugar Progress Chart mmol/L-mg/dl (800 kcal diet)
Day 1: 10.5 / 190
Day 2: 9.8 /175
Day 3: 8.3 /148
Day 4: 6.7 / 123
Day 5: 6.4 / 112
Day 6: 5.7 / 103
Day 7: 5.0 / 90

Weight:
Pre-diet: 14 Stone / 195 pounds
Week 1: 13.5 Stone / 189 pounds -6 pounds/.5 stone

Hello there. I have my fingers crossed for you.

No doubt you have read all the Newcastle papers, by Professor Taylor? http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

You may also be interested to read this, if you haven't already: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

There are a number of threads in the Forum on the Newcastle Diet where various folks have updated on their progress, but that seems to have gone a little quiet for now. We have a couple of posters who have followed this protocol - either using shakes or real food alternatives. I'm thinking of @Pipp and @Andrew Colvin , for starters.

It really would be great if you could keep us updated on your progress. We love a success story!

Reactions: 4 people

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much guys! It's encouraging to have a little support while undertaking such a difficult regimen. If anyone else is undertaking this let me know and I'll offer whatever support I can!

Today I weighed in and I dropped another 2 pounds/1kg overnight. Here's a few details on how I've been 'surviving' eight days in. It's getting a little easier but I am still having a few days where I get dizzy spells or extremely tired at random bouts in the day. Today went really well, slept well last night.

Here's a small image log from today's routine, 8 days in:

vW7m1Yw.jpg

Following Professor Taylor's advice, I start the day off with a good variety of supplements. I typically only take fish oil and a multivitamin daily but to make sure my body had everything it needed to stay running smoothly I got some Glucosamine (For joints and muscles) and some Chromium and Cinnamon in there.

I take these about an hour or two before I take my daily 500mg delayed release Metformin. Only taking one daily now as there's no need for 1000mg. Numbers speak for themselves.

MTtDp2D.jpg

Due to a lack of Optifast readily available nearby I did my research and found that Atkins shakes are the closest thing nutritionally at about 190calories each. They taste really good! Not terribly filling but this is typically my breakfast. I alternate between a shake and solid food to keep things fresh. Had a salad today for lunch, tomatoes/parsley/cucumbers with a rice wine vinegar dressing. Followed that with an Atkins shake about 2 hours later, with some raw veggies as a snack. Averaging about 5 'meals' a day.

ru9aIMX.jpg

A sample of a dinner. Been really having to get creative as soups simply won't cut it for 2 months. Texturally the Newcastle diet is rather unforgiving. I was able to make these eggplants crispy by cooking them in a dry pan with onions and garlic followed by baking/broiling them in the oven. No oil, about 225 calories. Turned out really nice! Been experimenting a lot so there's been ups and downs in the kitchen. Small serving of marinara for dipping.

qg3FZ2C.jpg

The lack of fruit really makes for some terrible cravings at times, but a few days in I found these naturally flavored water drops to add when the craving strikes to ease the discomfort. A little bit goes a long way.

That's it for my daily update, will keep posting little updates along the way.

Hi welcome to the forum :) I enjoyed reading your post and look forward to reading more from you. Well done on your results so far :)

Thank you so much. :) Appreciate the encouragement.

Welcome. I'm in Austin (Tx) myself
Edit- just saw that you are too. Very cool!

Nice to meet you man! Glad your numbers have been good.

Hello there. I have my fingers crossed for you.
No doubt you have read all the Newcastle papers, by Professor Taylor? http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm
You may also be interested to read this, if you haven't already: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

There are a number of threads in the Forum on the Newcastle Diet where various folks have updated on their progress, but that seems to have gone a little quiet for now. We have a couple of posters who have followed this protocol - either using shakes or real food alternatives. I'm thinking of @Pipp and @Andrew Colvin , for starters.

It really would be great if you could keep us updated on your progress. We love a success story!

Thank you. I did a ton of research before undertaking the diet..It sounded completely insane at first, and extreme but Professor Taylor's theory really did ring a bell. Reading about organ fat and making the connection with my midsection warmed me up to giving this a shot.

I was just underwhelmed I couldn't find any information in the US, but this forum more than made up for it. It does seem like very few people are undertaking the diet due to how extreme it is but I'm determined to stick it out. I just need to get an appointment with an endocrinologist to really get some proper before/after data on a cellular level. Will check out Pipp and Colvin and see if I can glean any information that might be useful. I realized after posting the thread that not a lot of people are really undertaking the diet (And I can see why).

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much guys! It's encouraging to have a little support while undertaking such a difficult regimen. If anyone else is undertaking this let me know and I'll offer whatever support I can!

Today I weighed in and I dropped another 2 pounds/1kg overnight. Here's a few details on how I've been 'surviving' eight days in. It's getting a little easier but I am still having a few days where I get dizzy spells or extremely tired at random bouts in the day. Today went really well, slept well last night.

Here's a small image log from today's routine, 8 days in:

vW7m1Yw.jpg

Following Professor Taylor's advice, I start the day off with a good variety of supplements. I typically only take fish oil and a multivitamin daily but to make sure my body had everything it needed to stay running smoothly I got some Glucosamine (For joints and muscles) and some Chromium and Cinnamon in there.

I take these about an hour or two before I take my daily 500mg delayed release Metformin. Only taking one daily now as there's no need for 1000mg. Numbers speak for themselves.

MTtDp2D.jpg

Due to a lack of Optifast readily available nearby I did my research and found that Atkins shakes are the closest thing nutritionally at about 190calories each. They taste really good! Not terribly filling but this is typically my breakfast. I alternate between a shake and solid food to keep things fresh. Had a salad today for lunch, tomatoes/parsley/cucumbers with a rice wine vinegar dressing. Followed that with an Atkins shake about 2 hours later, with some raw veggies as a snack. Averaging about 5 'meals' a day.

ru9aIMX.jpg

A sample of a dinner. Been really having to get creative as soups simply won't cut it for 2 months. Texturally the Newcastle diet is rather unforgiving. I was able to make these eggplants crispy by cooking them in a dry pan with onions and garlic followed by baking/broiling them in the oven. No oil, about 225 calories. Turned out really nice! Been experimenting a lot so there's been ups and downs in the kitchen. Small serving of marinara for dipping.

qg3FZ2C.jpg

The lack of fruit really makes for some terrible cravings at times, but a few days in I found these naturally flavored water drops to add when the craving strikes to ease the discomfort. A little bit goes a long way.

That's it for my daily update, will keep posting little updates along the way.

Thank you so much. :) Appreciate the encouragement.

Nice to meet you man! Glad your numbers have been good.

Thank you. I did a ton of research before undertaking the diet..It sounded completely insane at first, and extreme but Professor Taylor's theory really did ring a bell. Reading about organ fat and making the connection with my midsection warmed me up to giving this a shot.

I was just underwhelmed I couldn't find any information in the US, but this forum more than made up for it. It does seem like very few people are undertaking the diet due to how extreme it is but I'm determined to stick it out. I just need to get an appointment with an endocrinologist to really get some proper before/after data on a cellular level. Will check out Pipp and Colvin and see if I can glean any information that might be useful. I realized after posting the thread that not a lot of people are really undertaking the diet (And I can see why).

The Newcastle Diet (ND) is a very strict regime, and Professor Taylor himself openly states it isn't for everyone. For some the protocols would be very difficult to implement, with decent compliance, within their overall lives; whether due to family, work or social pressures.

I didn't follow the ND. I didn't learn of it until I had made some progress by notionally gentler methods. When I ask myself if I would have adopted the approach, I can't come up with a definitive decision - swaying from yes/no and back again, for a million reasons. However, I might have been inspired to utilise it as a kick-start or means of breaking other eating patterns, as I certainly found the new-found pressure of thinking about every single eating episode wearing. On diagnosis we go from a certain amount of routine and auto-pilot to "what the heck do I eat now?" mode, and clearly our spouses or partners are dragged along that route with us.

But, one of the things Professor Taylor says in his writing is that it is important to have planned and organised a "next steps" plan for yourself, once you have reached the end of your purist ND phase. He is clear that for those who revert to wholly pre-ND eating patterns, there is likely to be a loss of benefits.

As well as Pipp and Andrew, there are others. I don't know if you found this thread?: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newcastle-diet-survivors-where-are-they-now.56235/

As you are doubtless aware, the ND doesn't work for everyone, but it's certainly worth a good go, if you can hack it.

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daily update. Another pound down/.5kg as of this morning and some blood sugar numbers I haven't seen in 5 years! Getting under 90 was kind of euphoric. Never saw those numbers in my strictest days. The amount of water content in this diet pretty much guarantees you'll be needing a lot of bathroom breaks. The effects I'm feeling kind of remind me of a Ketogenic diet I tried a while back.

YA9EMBZ.jpg

Usual shakes and salads for breakfast and lunch, finished off tonight with a stir fry using some different ingredients. Mistake was not adding mushrooms, they really lend a satisfying, meaty flavor that your body is going to be craving nonstop. So not too satisfied with this version, but it was pretty decent.

mqCwR61.jpg

My friends in this fight have been the seasonings. Without them you might as well call it quits early because food will be miserable without them. Big flavors without carbs, fat and starch are key to staying somewhat satisfied. As well as sauces used in moderation-Garlic, onions and ginger are amazing for lending a little more body to the vegetables. And you need veg that absorbs flavor well..I mentioned the mushrooms earlier because they are delicious flavor sponges when cooked right. Plan on experimenting more with cauliflower and mushrooms to see if I can make something resembling a meatball.

The Newcastle Diet (ND) is a very strict regime, and Professor Taylor himself openly states it isn't for everyone. For some the protocols would be very difficult to implement, with decent compliance, within their overall lives; whether due to family, work or social pressures.

I didn't follow the ND. I didn't learn of it until I had made some progress by notionally gentler methods. When I ask myself if I would have adopted the approach, I can't come up with a definitive decision - swaying from yes/no and back again, for a million reasons. However, I might have been inspired to utilise it as a kick-start or means of breaking other eating patterns, as I certainly found the new-found pressure of thinking about every single eating episode wearing. On diagnosis we go from a certain amount of routine and auto-pilot to "what the heck do I eat now?" mode, and clearly our spouses or partners are dragged along that route with us.

But, one of the things Professor Taylor says in his writing is that it is important to have planned and organised a "next steps" plan for yourself, once you have reached the end of your purist ND phase. He is clear that for those who revert to wholly pre-ND eating patterns, there is likely to be a loss of benefits.

As well as Pipp and Andrew, there are others. I don't know if you found this thread?: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newcastle-diet-survivors-where-are-they-now.56235/

As you are doubtless aware, the ND doesn't work for everyone, but it's certainly worth a good go, if you can hack it.

Interesting to hear. I kind of reached a level of impatience that I hadn't had in a few years..I just didn't want to have to bear a condition that would probably degenerate over time. I spent the last year eating portion controlled, balanced meals and exercising regularly but to maintain my numbers decently I had to exercise 5-6 times a week with weight lifting and heavy cardio. Needless to say it took a toll on a shoulder and my joints, despite me loving how it made me feel. It wasn't sustainable.

I switched to 3-4 times a week but was not having the same results, and it got me frustrated. So as a result my mind was open to Prof. Taylor's research, as extreme as it might be. You just have to be that fed up with the Diabetes I guess, haha. The thread was interesting to read, really seems like this research has been around for a while! Had no idea until recently-Seems like there have been few survivors as well.

As of now I'm planning on switching back to my normal 'balanced' diet. Lean proteins, healthy grains and high fiber with the occasional treat here and there with 5 meals a day. Really helped keep me balanced. And trust me, I'll probably think anything is amazing after I get through this. I'm also not exercising right now to give my body a break so I can resume upon completing this and start weightlifting (did wonders for levels). I'm drooling at the thought of some Quinoa and chicken. Eyes on the prize!

Hi and Welcome!

Love your attitude. :D:D:D

Thank you. A good attitude really helps when it comes to something like this. Don't have the energy to be upset, hahaha.

Reactions: 5 people

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Down another 2 pounds/1kg today. Dear lord, the weight is melting off at this point. I'm feeling a lot better after getting over the initial adjustment hump (I'd say 7-8 days of fatigue, general moodiness).

Seeing the stomach size going down has been encouraging to say the least. Also, recorded my lowest morning blood sugar ever at 81/4.5. Pretty incredible, but the biggest issue is seeing the long term results after 2 months. If it gets lower than this I might have to discontinue oral medication mid diet. Need to talk to GP about this.

Today's lunch: Tomatoes, snap peas and italian parsley. Rice vinegar dressing. Nice and satisfying at work, always pile it up in the afternoon to keep me full for a while. Will follow this up with a shake later.

PEFWuKf.jpg

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Down another 2 pounds/1kg today. Dear lord, the weight is melting off at this point. I'm feeling a lot better after getting over the initial adjustment hump (I'd say 7-8 days of fatigue, general moodiness).

Seeing the stomach size going down has been encouraging to say the least. Also, recorded my lowest morning blood sugar ever at 81/4.5. Pretty incredible, but the biggest issue is seeing the long term results after 2 months. If it gets lower than this I might have to discontinue oral medication mid diet. Need to talk to GP about this.

Today's lunch: Tomatoes, snap peas and italian parsley. Rice vinegar dressing. Nice and satisfying at work, always pile it up in the afternoon to keep me full for a while. Will follow this up with a shake later.

PEFWuKf.jpg
I just want to congratulate you for undertaking the Newcastle diet, and it is cool to hear your story. The updates are really nice as well, they will be an inspiration for others pondering to undertake the Newcastle diet, the numbers do not lie, they are really amazing. The diet is not the easiest by far, but you seem to take it remarkably well, lol!

There is a great debate about if diabetes is curable or not. Your numbers just confirms everything I have read by Roy Taylor, and the others stories about people having done the newcastle diet, it can be done with weightloss.

So goodluck with your diet, and hope you will keep on with theupdates it is very inspiring.

I post some links about people who have done the diet for inspiration, and they cured themselves

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...etes-just-11-days--going-starvation-diet.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/health-advice/i-reversed-my-diabetes-by-changing-my-diet/

https://www.reddit.com/r/diabetes/comments/2w5brt/im_going_to_cure_my_t2_diabetes_part_2/

There is also a lot of controversy about which diet is the best for diabetes. My opinion is after reading all the science is that as long as you stay under your personal fat threshold, you will not get diabetes again.

So holding your weight stable is the key.

The best explaination of obesity and weightloss I have found is by Stephan Guyenet, an obesity researcher. Just google him, he has a blog and twitter and lots of free podcasts and lectures and interviews around the web.

He has written this really dence but well referenced pdf articles about how he sees obesity, how to lose weight effortlessly and how to maintain, it really explains the science. He is writing a book that is due to the end of 2016, but this is the best summation of his thoughts so far

https://www.dansplan.com/assets/Ideal_Weight_Program_Scientific_Rational.pdf

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just want to congratulate you for undertaking the Newcastle diet, and it is cool to hear your story. The updates are really nice as well, they will be an inspiration for others pondering to undertake the Newcastle diet, the numbers do not lie, they are really amazing. The diet is not the easiest by far, but you seem to take it remarkably well, lol!

There is a great debate about if diabetes is curable or not. Your numbers just confirms everything I have read by Roy Taylor, and the others stories about people having done the newcastle diet, it can be done with weightloss.

So goodluck with your diet, and hope you will keep on with theupdates it is very inspiring.

I post some links about people who have done the diet for inspiration, and they cured themselves

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/12/type-2-diabetes-diet-cure

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...etes-just-11-days--going-starvation-diet.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/health-advice/i-reversed-my-diabetes-by-changing-my-diet/

https://www.reddit.com/r/diabetes/comments/2w5brt/im_going_to_cure_my_t2_diabetes_part_2/

There is also a lot of controversy about which diet is the best for diabetes. My opinion is after reading all the science is that as long as you stay under your personal fat threshold, you will not get diabetes again.

So holding your weight stable is the key.

The best explaination of obesity and weightloss I have found is by Stephan Guyenet, an obesity researcher. Just google him, he has a blog and twitter and lots of free podcasts and lectures and interviews around the web.

He has written this really dence but well referenced pdf articles about how he sees obesity, how to lose weight effortlessly and how to maintain, it really explains the science. He is writing a book that is due to the end of 2016, but this is the best summation of his thoughts so far

https://www.dansplan.com/assets/Ideal_Weight_Program_Scientific_Rational.pdf

Holy moly that's a great post man. Some really good information in there, and especially hearing about Carlos' story is kind of amazing. Had no idea it could trigger such an extreme turnaround with such an advanced state of the condition. Thank you so much for the encouragement-As long as I'm keeping my mind always focused on the end goal of this diet I always feel a lot better.

I agree that a lot of this Newcastle approach seems to focus on 'resetting' your body and maintaining to prevent sliding back into the condition, so the steps I take upon completion will be critical. A lot of thinking has gone into what's next already.

For some reason I thought I would find many people undertaking this diet, but I've come to realize that time has come and gone on this forum..So hopefully I can inspire a few people to join up! It really isn't that bad if you can get creative with the constraints.

So updates:

I had started this diet without my doctor, so I decided to follow up and fill her in on what was going on. Understandably I was nervous about bringing it up, because I was worried she would shoot down such an extreme plan. However after a frank discussion, she put her stamp on approval-Which seals the deal for the rest of the time I'll be under treatment. There are already plans to discontinue more oral medication, the next on the list being my Januvia following Metformin if the diet has long lasting effects (pending future tests).

dp1kWJy.jpg

She will be running a battery of advanced tests on a cellular level to gauge my progress, as well as the usual blood work. That should be late February, coming towards the end of treatment. Look forward to sharing what might happen there.

Blood sugar today was in the low 80's again. And today was Friday, so I treated myself to not one, but TWO cheat meals.......

fOxflnF.jpg

One pretzel snap! Hahaha. You guys would be amazed at how delicious this was. I made this little ****** last a whole 5 minutes as I raved about how flavorful it was. My wife gave me an odd look or two:D Added nutritional info for the lols.

9ZwSj4i.jpg

(Sorry for blurry pic)

Also had an extra salad tonight! Added in heart of palm for some extra flavor, and it was delicious. :) Been experimenting with a few new recipes, look forward to sharing soon. Anyways, hope everyone enjoys their weekend. Stay healthy, stay determined.

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update:

Everything's going according to plan still. After discovering Januvia was behind some of the joint pain I'd been experiencing lately I've made the decision to discontinue using it as of tonight. It put an abrupt halt to my weightlifting a few months back, and I spent thousands of dollars on physical therapy, xrays and body scans to just realize it was a side effect of medication. I kind of feel like an idiot, I wish I'd done a little research when the pain first started about a year back.

Regardless it'll be better to continue with less medication reliance-I'll really be able to better gauge what my body is doing with as little medication aiding it going forward.

Foodwise I've been having fun with the constraints. I got it in my head to make something resembling a meatball and after multiple failed experiments I've created Newcastle Meatballs!

f3fYCw8.jpg

Using the theory of wet and dry ingredients, I sauteed one part flavorful mushrooms (eg. Chanterelle, portobello oyster mushroom), roasted eggplant, garlic, onions, seasoning, parsley and beef stock and combined it with 3 parts well roasted cauliflower in a food processor to create a nice paste. I formed those into patties by hand and baked them till relatively firm and let cool. Not the firmest in texture (takes a lot of experimentation), but finished in the pan they taste delicious. I had a lot of misfires figuring out ratios, but this is the first one that's maintained it's form well.

Also been having more rich leafy greens, here's a sample of a little dinner meal I had:

l2oa0AK.jpg

Again, always mushrooms lurking in these 'recipes,' but honestly I think this diet would be near impossible without some sort of veg that mimiced a meaty texture.

Moving forward I'm down to only one oral med-one daily 500mg metformin. So I'm curious how my numbers will change (If at all) without Januvia. Wait and see.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The meatballs looks delicious, would also like to say that is cool you actually post your sugars, did not see it until now, they are quite amazing, and it is amazing you dropped januvia. Keep it going ! strong fistpump of support!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So is NC low fat or low P? What stops you from starving? I don't need carbs but what are the percentages of P and F?

Your posts show amazing results!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow wow wow! You're doing amazingly well and I take my hat off to you.

How much longer have you got to go? And what's the plan for after?

Your bloods are great and personally, I'd be coming off the met now with your results as you have no bg issues to treat.

I'm curious what you do for a living? How does all this fit in with your daily routine?

I really don't think I could live on so little without turning into a monster and ending up with my kids hating me (or me hating them for being able to eat more or less what they want!!)

I wish I had your willpower.

Keep us updated and stay strong - you're amazing!

D x

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Updates:

Did my weekly weigh in and I'm down another 5 lbs/.4 stone ! Also was surprised by my numbers following my first night not taking Januvia, I actually clocked a resting blood sugar in the morning of a 4.1 / 74. Crazy. Not going to get too excited yet as it's a matter of seeing how these numbers maintain over time.

I am dealing with feeling colder than usual and a little trouble sleeping, but am just dressing up more and taking a little Melatonin to help me sleep-Not sure if the sleep trouble is related to this diet.

rNEpFH2.jpg

Wife made me some delicious soup for this week, nice and hearty thanks to the addition of a little fresh beef stock to impart some more heartiness to the flavor. Mixing it in with the usual shakes and keeping it up.

The meatballs looks delicious, would also like to say that is cool you actually post your sugars, did not see it until now, they are quite amazing, and it is amazing you dropped januvia. Keep it going ! strong fistpump of support!

Thank you! Let's hope we can encourage a few more people to try this approach..That's the main reason for keeping such a detailed log. You seem to be quite a proponent so thank you for the encouragement again. :)

So is NC low fat or low P? What stops you from starving? I don't need carbs but what are the percentages of P and F?

Your posts show amazing results!

If you read the documentation on the Newcastle diet, it pretty much is an extremely restricted/starvation diet. It's tough for the first few days but your body does adjust about a week in to the limited intake.

I'd call it a low calorie, low fat diet. This PDF from the Newcastle institute lays out the restrictions. It's about 800 calories a day total.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

Wow wow wow! You're doing amazingly well and I take my hat off to you.

How much longer have you got to go? And what's the plan for after?

Your bloods are great and personally, I'd be coming off the met now with your results as you have no bg issues to treat.

I'm curious what you do for a living? How does all this fit in with your daily routine?

I really don't think I could live on so little without turning into a monster and ending up with my kids hating me (or me hating them for being able to eat more or less what they want!!)

I wish I had your willpower.

Keep us updated and stay strong - you're amazing!

D x

Hey Deb! To answer your questions:

I have 45 days to go still, and afterwards I plan on transitioning into either a low carb/ketogenic diet or resuming a balanced 5 meal a day diet depending on the test results. If my diabetes is considered quashed I'll go back to working out regularly and a balanced diet.

I work in software development, and it's been working out fine so far. I have a normal day job I go to, I just prepare meals ahead of time, typically 2 meal replacement shakes/salad/carrots and celery snack/soup to keep me going throughout the day. It hasn't affected my routine, minus a little dizziness towards the beginning of the diet.

I had to condition myself mentally to undertake this. I'd just grown so tired of dealing with the condition and the constant balancing act, especially being someone that absolutely loves food (I'm Italian so imagine what this condition is like with our typical diets). I did the math in my head and realized that 2 months of 'suffering' (And it's not that bad after a week) could potentially equate to a chance to reset my body and be able to live a normal life, versus the typical gradual deterioration a condition like this entails.

So you weigh your options, and I found that a chance like this is rare and I'd be willing to forget about all that delicious food I like to undertake such an extreme regimen. Hope is a strong motivator, and if you're really determined you can put aside watching people around you eat normally for that chance of being normal yourself again. That's what keeps me going every time I get those doubts in my head. Stay focused, and surround yourself with supportive people. You might just have that willpower resting within you.

Last but not least to keep things glass half full, after a diet like this even the most spartan, diabetic friendly meals will taste absolutely incredible. A piece of chicken, a simple omelette or some oatmeal will be like experiencing them for the first time all over again. That idea sits fine with me. :)

Reactions: 7 people

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update:

It's been 2 days since the last update. Have been dealing with a few issues, mainly some exhaustion and light headed spells later in the day (Usually after coming home from work). Yesterday I had some hunger pangs, but just had some water and coffee to address it. Have added a nap and about 100 more calories (I was averaging about 700 total after double checking, under the requirement) daily to address this.

Keeping my mind on the end goal to remind myself what I'm working for, especially when the rough patches hit every once in a while.

Numbers are very stable following the removal of Januvia, actually even lower than before it seems? Day 15-17 are showing great results with only one diabetic medication in effect. I find this a little confusing but I'm not complaining. Trying to take little walks and maintain some activity daily.

gvigOKv.jpg

Discovered I could have some Zucchini so I've been having fun with it. This was actually really **** good! Stuffed with minced, marinated mushrooms and eggplants that I piped into zucchini halves that I'd hollowed out. My wife liked them enough that she had them for dinner too! Trying to cook a hot meal every day to keep my body sated (Somewhat).

RprvKji.jpg

Bonus baking image. ;)

Yorkie68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an interesting read, please keep on reporting back on your progress. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with 'normal' eating after you come of the ND - does it really cure T2?

I'm only 4 months in to my diagnosis and am low carbing at the moment; I've a lot of weight to lose (50llbs so far but that is less than half of what I need to shift) but it is manageable and whilst by BG readings are no where near your level (mid to high 5's mostly) I don't find it too restrictive. However, when I've made better progress on my weight I would definitely consider the ND - if I have a good meal plan and recipes to follow!

Reactions: 3 people

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What an interesting read, please keep on reporting back on your progress. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with 'normal' eating after you come of the ND - does it really cure T2?

I'm only 4 months in to my diagnosis and am low carbing at the moment; I've a lot of weight to lose (50llbs so far but that is less than half of what I need to shift) but it is manageable and whilst by BG readings are no where near your level (mid to high 5's mostly) I don't find it too restrictive. However, when I've made better progress on my weight I would definitely consider the ND - if I have a good meal plan and recipes to follow!

Hey Yorkie, I'm not sure if it's a cure of any sort-But it is considered a reversal of the condition. If you eat like **** and gain back the weight the symptoms will surely reappear in some form or the other.

A general rule of thumb is that the more weight you lose, the more under control your diabetes will be. I noticed this myself as I lost my first 50 pounds when I was first diagnosed, but it only seemed to accomplish an improvement in my numbers. Not a cure.

However Professor Taylor went further with his research and realized the connection between weight loss and diabetes symptoms receding had to do with organ fat, mainly in the pancreas and liver. His diet is designed to nuke any fat from those areas (Incredibly stubborn to say the least), thus kicking the diabetes to the curb if proper weight/diet/exercise are maintained followed ending the diet. As of now I'm off 75% of my medications and maintaining some promising numbers, but it remains to be seen if the tests confirm a significant change.

It's an extreme diet that I can confidently say isn't for everyone, so I'd say keep an eye on my progress to see if it actually pans out. I'm doing cellular testing and blood work February 23 to confirm any substantial changes.

Reactions: 6 people

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates! For some reason I couldn't update my thread the last few days (It mentioned anti-spam measures, no idea!), but the issue seems to have resolved itself.

Last few days have been particularly tough for some reason-But I held on and kept my mind on the long term goal. My body is just way more sensitive to cold, been having intermittent spells of exhaustion towards end day and I've been having a hard time sleeping and experiencing some occasional numbness in my hands. Looking into whether this might be due to under-supplementing but my estimates put me way over where I need to be on daily intake. Maybe just body adjustment. Either way, the weekly weigh in and numbers have been updated. 3 weeks in and I'm at a total of 1.2 stone/ 14.5lbs lost. Blood sugar numbers have remained stable with 5-6 meals a day (Updated day 16-21 numbers today).

I'm happy to be past the quarter point, and nearing the halfway. It's been a blur. I've been trying to go out on the weekends and mentally fortify myself by being around friends drinking and eating, just to test my willpower. It's dipped on a few days but I have not strayed, as difficult as it was.

JNEvjSM.jpg

Today I wanted to share my morning meal prep before I head to work. Might be spending a little longer at work today to finish up some projects, so I packed a full days worth of meals/snacks to keep me going (Let's not forget the coffee). Slow pan cooked Zucchini is probably the easiest, and most flavorful meal to prepare out of everything I've experimented with, with the exception of roasted cauliflower with salt and pepper.

Cut down to 2 shakes and replaced it with salads/cooked veg. More filling in the long run.

Just wanted to give you guys an idea of what a full days worth of food looks like. Gonna keep my head up and continue forward, perhaps I'll schedule some earlier blood work as a safety precaution in early February. Just want to make sure everything is up to snuff with such rapid weight loss.