Hello

magicaldebs

I have been diagnosed as a Diabetic for 5 years, I have been managing my diabetis with diet alone, but over the past couple of months I seem to have completley lost control of it. My last BGT was 8.7, so I am now on Metformin. I have known for a long time that I would eventually become a Diabetic. I have a strong family histroy with both Grandmothers and my Father being Type II Diabetics and having gestational Diabetis with all 4 children. A Glucose Tolerance Test after my first child when I was 24yrs old demonstrated that I was 'at risk' of developing Diabetis so I have tried to be careful with my diet since. The problem I have found with this is the inconsisitancy in the advice given over the years regarding diet.

Reading some of these posts, I realise that i have probably been eating far too many Carbs, so I have ordered Dr Bersteins book and will try to make amends. My life has been very stressful over the past 3 years and I know I have gained weight, this has not helped at all, but I am a comfort eater :(

I have one question for now about Metformin. I have been presecribed Metformin 500mgs x 3 a day. I can take one with breakfast without too many side effects, however if I then take one with my lunch I suffer from stomach pains, diarrhoea and very embarassing wind. So at the moment I am taking one with breakfast, one with my evening meal and one at bedtime. I have recently purchased a BG testing machine and I notice that my BG in the afternoon can get quite high (yesterday it shot up to 13.3, but I had ate wholemeal bread, now I'm in the know I will not do this). I am just wondnering whether I have to take Metformin with each meal or whether just taking 3 a day is enough?
Debs

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
i think taking metformin with meals is to help the side effects, as youve seen the bread will bump u up, there is a slow release metformin which does seem to be helpful for those who get side effects,
someone who knows more about metformin will be along soon,
try a look in our type 2 section too :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
magicaldebs said:
I have one question for now about Metformin. I have been presecribed Metformin 500mgs x 3 a day. I can take one with breakfast without too many side effects, however if I then take one with my lunch I suffer from stomach pains, diarrhoea and very embarassing wind. So at the moment I am taking one with breakfast, one with my evening meal and one at bedtime.
I am just wondnering whether I have to take Metformin with each meal or whether just taking 3 a day is enough?
Debs

Metformin is supposed to be taken with or after food, it is designed to work better that way. You should always take any prescribed medications as directed by your Doctor. Any changes should be discussed with them before doing anything. Taking the Met at bedtime makes it pretty much useless.

So your real dosage over the day, the effective dose, is only 2 tablets. That may explain the high reading after your lunch ? (apart from the carbs you had that is)

There is an alternative to Metformin called Metformin SR (slow release) or MR (modified release). This is usually prescribed for those who are unable to tolerate the side effects of the ordinary Met.
discuss this with your GP.