1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hello

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by storm, Jun 25, 2011.

1. storm

storm Type 2 · Member

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on friday :(

All a bit confusing.

Everytime I go to the Docs I come away with a problem I dident know I had :roll:

2. Administrator

Administrator Family member · Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Administrator

Welcome storm - you should find a lot of useful info and guides in the site - as well as everyone here who are always more than happy to lend a helping hand!

3. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hello storm , yes its a shock isnt it? what have they explained to you ? n how are you feeling about things now? Anna.x :)

4. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Hi Storm and welcome to the forum :) I understand how confused you feel - I felt the same until I found this forum. To help you, here is some information written for new members by our friends Sue and Ken, the former monitors, which should answer some of your questions. Have a read of it and whatever questions you have, feel free to ask as many as you like as someone will always answer you.

5. Gappy

Gappy · Well-Known Member

Hello, after the initial shock/panic you'll soon realise diabetes is not a problem it 's just a change! A problem holds you back but diabetes just means a bit of self control and sense at times-you'll be fine.

6. storm

storm Type 2 · Member

Feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment :(

I would say that now I've got it it ain't going to go away so I wont let it frighten me or get me down. It's easy to get obsessed by it.

Got to go back in two weeks, and keep a food diary during that period. Been given Metformin tablets to take, I will start them on Monday

7. jopar

jopar · Well-Known Member

Hi welcome Storm

Be prepared to learn a whole new langauge, see food in a totally different perspective than you've done before, oh and for now on any ailment you visit your doctor with it be 'that be the diabetes!'

And belive me the medic's can link a broken toe to diabetes :shock: Yes I was asked if I had had a hypo when I broke my little toe Nooooo.. I just didn't have a pair of shoes on when I banged the door stop!!!

Take a look around, plenty of idea's to tame the blood glucose, and ask all the questions you need no question is consider silly if you don't the answer.. Unless of cause you'll asking how many carbs in a mouse!

8. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Don't feel too down - you soon get used to the routine of it. I am almost glad I got diabetes as because of it I found this forum and friends. I don't know anyone with diabetes outside this forum. I do remember when I was first diagnosed. I didn't feel down to start with - I just refused to believe it :wink: Thanks to the advice on here I have got my levels completely under control so I don't worry about it any more. I expect you'll be the same in time. Just keep popping in here :)

9. Gappy

Gappy · Well-Known Member

Too right it's easy to get obsessed! My doc tells me life is precious so enjoy it without worry. Obviously there are common sense changes to make but it needn't be negative. I have lost just over a stone since diagnosis which'll help me play more competitively at badminton & I also love the compliments from friends who notice. I still go out, I just drink a bit slower (saves money too) or tonight I'm seeing a local band so my drink will sit on a table a long time while I applaud. I walk there and back so it's exercise all in all a guilt free night out.

10. diadeb

diadeb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Re: Hello and Welcome

Hi Storm, don't worry, you are amonst friends here, we are all in the same boat. Yes it is frightening at first, I was very frightened initially and as I was a senior nursing sister at the time of diagnosis I felt that I should have been full of answers but when things happen to you it's completely different. Just take it one day at a time and you will get to grips with everything soon enough. For me, it actually gave a the "kick up the a---" that I probably needed, with losing weight and some modification to my lifestyle. I now take moderate exercise and have lost some weight but by no means has having type 2 diabetes ruined my life, as I said in some ways it has enhanced it. So be positive and gain control by learning all that you can about diabetes because knowledge is power and ultimately you have control of your diabetes. Best wishes to you, Debra xx

11. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hiya, it'll be the shock making you feel bit down n numb, acts as an impact buffer to cope with the shock... then as you come around you can learn n develop a way to deal n tackle the diabetes in a positive way. I went through denial ' what!! me ??? no way ... ' to feeling a total failure especially when all meds I was put on failed to work! thats when I really did need my fellow diabetes contacts on here, as daisy says I too do not know any other diabetics except for the ones I meet up at the clinics. Take time out just for you [help you come to terms with it] n keep in touch with us all here, over time you will feel brighter n positive about your journey with diabetes. Anna.x :)

12. storm

storm Type 2 · Member

Thanks for the warm welcome , I will take a good look around

I will probably becoming up with a "101 exciting things to do with a chick pea" in a couple of weeks :lol:

13. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'll be having chick pea curry (chana masala) tonight along with chicken madras and an onion bhaji. Dont knock it there lovely :lol:

Welcome to the forum by the way :D

14. frenchkittie

frenchkittie · Well-Known Member

Oooh, can I go completely off topic for a moment and drool Sid.

I think that the only thing I miss about living in the UK is a good curry.

Welcome to the forum storm, btw :)

15. storm

storm Type 2 · Member

I'm back after a while :D

Well I managed to get my H1ABC down to 7% (was 13%) and give up fags (was 40 a day) and loose a stone , so all good fun.

I could kill for a kebab though :lol:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook