Hello....

J@mie75

Hi, I was diagnosed type2 about 4 weeks ago after blood test from my gp, i went to him as i had blurred vision and lost a lot of weight, drinking lots etc. he told me to wait 30 days then book an appointment with the practice nurse, gave me a script for some gluc urine sticks and told me to eat less sugar. After a few weeks I was feeling worse so booked my appointment early, the nurse was concerned and thought I was type 1 as had ketones present and hi BG so sent me to hospital! They were concerned that I had not been given any medication, been told to wait 30 days etc from diagnosis and booked me in with the diabetic nurse (who was brilliant) she says im odd as i have a lot of symtons of type 1 lost over 2 1/2 stone in a few months was not over weight etc I'm now on metformin and need to monitor my bg with a monitor. Got to go back tomorrow as she says I may need insulin injections! Sorry I'm going on this is all new to me, is this all normal? My bg levels even on metformin are always 'hi' I am confused!

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't know if it's normal but I am much the same.
My GP sent my bloods to hospital the same day I saw her and I saw the diabetic nurse the next day.
She also found ketones so is not sure what type of diabetes it is - I am injecting insulin morning and evening and taking metaformin and being really careful with what I am eating and drinking - but still have high 15-17 BGL.
I am back tomorrow so I will see what she says then - i guess it might just take a while to get things right.

Grazer

Hi J@mie and welcome. Must say that your symptoms sound more like type 1 to me, although I'm not a doctor of course. If your BGs are showing "hi" on the meter all the time, I would suggest you need Formal clarification of what type you are sooner rather than later. Hopefully the nurse will sort it out for you

J@mie75

Cheers for your replies guys! :) I saw the nurse at hospital yesterday, took more bloods so they could check my thyroid and antibodies, so they could say conclusively that I'm a type1 if it shows in the results! Until then there going to treat me as a type2 and increased my metformin. Still have BG of over 20 daily, and still losing weight so will have to see what happens!