Hello

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been watching this forum now for a few weeks and thought it a good idea to join. I've been a T1 now for 47 years and at the moment am waiting to go in hospial for triple/quadruple heart bypass op. It's always worrying having to hand control of my diabetes to others even if they are professionals. Maybe someone here can allay my fears about the bypass.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dodo and welcome

I had a quadruple bypass in March. The waiting was tough but the operation was nowhere near as terrible as I thought it would be - and not particularly painful unless I coughed or sneezed :shock: The advice is to hold a cushion tightly to your chest before you do, which helps a lot. I went in Thursday and they discharged me following Tuesday on the basis I could climb a flight of stairs. Takes a while for the scars to heal and you'll need to take it easy for at least 6 weeks post-op.

Hope it goes well for you.

Robert

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that Robert. Good to hear from someone who has gone through it. I think the part that really worries me is being diabetic. Over the years I've learnt that that nearly always causes complications or extra worry (especially for the doctors/nurses).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously they put you on sliding scale during the op and whilst you're in ICU and HDU. They don't bring you round after the anaesthetic so it takes about a day to wear off. I had a lot of trouble with high BGs when I went back on MDI (stress and trauma from the op) and they were very concerned that I didn't go above 12 as that's quite damaging to the healing process. The sugary 'low fat' food didn't help much ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Dodo said:
Have been watching this forum now for a few weeks and thought it a good idea to join. I've been a T1 now for 47 years and at the moment am waiting to go in hospial for triple/quadruple heart bypass op. It's always worrying having to hand control of my diabetes to others even if they are professionals. Maybe someone here can allay my fears about the bypass.

Hi Dodo I'm sorry, but I'm unable to give any advice on the surgery , but I wish you all the best and it's always the unknown that can be the biggest worry.

Good luck for a healthy and a speedy recovery.

Best wishes RRB

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to both Robert72 and Robinredbreast for your support. Hope to be in and out within the week as Robert72 did. Just want to get on with the rest of my life. X

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have had my triple bypass and now recovering at home. All appears to have gone well although it appears I'm allergic to much of the medication they generally use these days in surgery (anaphylactic shock during op). My main concern regarding my T1 was certainly justified. Once I was off the sliding scale and meals arrived I had no access to my insulin and when sugar levels were low they totally withheld my basal insulin. When I eventually saw the Diabetic Review Officer and explained what had been going on she agreed the nursing staff don't know a great deal regarding T1. Both she and my surgeon agreed I was better off being sent home to sort my own levels out (as well as having access to edible food). Anyway, I'm feeling so much better and optimistic about the future.