BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Seem my signature! :)
Hi, all,

Just joined the forum as I'm type 1 Diabetes.

I was diagnosed at the age of 3, on 9th February 1977. In other words, I've been type 1 for just under 37 years. My Son, Noah, born 22/01/10 is also Type 1 diabetic, and was diagnosed in November 2011, aged 19 months. Gutting. My boy and I are the only diabetics in our enitre family tree.

I've pretty much been through all of the different treatment types of Type 1 over the years. Going from needles that needed to be sterilised, and no blood glucose monitors, right up to today where I'm using a Medtronic insulin pump - same as my boy.

I've managed to avoid almost all side effects of being type 1, principally down to good blood sugar control and lots of exercise. During my teenage years I was a competitive swimmer (North Eastern Counties Freestyle champion), and now I'm a "borderline bodybuilder". I'm also 6'5", so thankfully diabetes didn't stunt my growth (or if it did, I'm quite pleased about it!)

I have a very positive outlook to Diabetes - it's nothing more than a challenge to me - and I really won't let it limit what I can do with my life.

For work purposes, I'm a video game director for SONY Computer Entertainment, which is fun, most of the time. :) Been making games for around 18 years now, so I'm a bit of an old hand at it.

So that's it. Hello! :)

BRS.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

mummy78

Re: R: Hello!

Hi and Welcome to the community :) I'm a type 1 too and mother of two little children (still healthy fortunately). Being a type 1 and my father a type 2, I'm always a little bit worried for my children. I've always been diabetic (or almost always. I was seven years old) and this problem is just part of my life, nothing more :) I did many things in my life and I'm still doing many things so...:)

I wonder how your little boy is managing the pump and the whole situation. He is so young but very brave too I'm sure :)

~ Arianna ~

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome

I wished all newly diagnosed folks could read this post, it would definatly make them feel like can still be great

Best wishes

Andy

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Welcome to the forum. Great positive attitude ! Diabetes is a condition to be lived with, not controlled by !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the welcome, folks. :)

I'm based between Surrey and Cheshire (work in Cheshire, live in Surrey), and I try to get involved in everything that goes on with the diabetes stuff at home. I'm planning on running the diabetes 10k next year, should my knees hold out...! :)

@mummy78 - my boy is totally cool with the insulin pump. He gets quite possessive over it! :) He's very good, and takes it all in his stride. I'm quite protective about him - he's just started school, and he's classed as a 'special needs' child, which I fundamentally disagree with - he's not special, he's just an ordinary little boy, just the same as I was. Sometimes the nanny state goes too far for my liking.

I always tell him that we're 'bionic'. We're like 'Iron Man' - he was going to die without the Arc-Reactor on his chest, but now he's got super-powers - just like us. Works great for a 3 year old... ;-)

BigRedSwitch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
In addition - I diagnosed my boy, so he didn't get DKA.

He'd started to really wet his nappies, to a point they were water-logged. I feared the worst, so tested his blood sugar using my blood tester, and he was 27.2. Darkest day of my life, but we took him straight to A&E, where they sorted him out and got him onto insulin.

He was so young that they didn't have syringes small enough to give him insulin. :( We muddled through and got him onto the Insulin Pump as quick as poss, and he's doing very well with it.

Another bump in the road came this year whilst we were on holiday. He developed Nephrotic Syndrome (leaking Kidneys), so he's now on a 6 month course of steroids, which are really messing with his blood-sugars. The outlook is good, though, just desperate to get to March next year and hope he's clear...

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lovely to see a nice positive post about T1 for a change!

Not so positive for your son though. He's lucky to have you to care for him and make him feel special with his pump. The iron man idea is a great one! Fingers crossed all goes well with the steroids :)

MrsDMiles

Just saying hello and thank you for a positive post! My little boy Oscar was diagnosed in Feb he was 2year and 8months. I've been totally heart broken.. But thank you made things a little easier by reading your post.
Oscar is my superhero [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mummy78

Re: R: Hello!

BigRedSwitch said:
Thanks for the welcome, folks. :)

I'm based between Surrey and Cheshire (work in Cheshire, live in Surrey), and I try to get involved in everything that goes on with the diabetes stuff at home. I'm planning on running the diabetes 10k next year, should my knees hold out...! :)

@mummy78 - my boy is totally cool with the insulin pump. He gets quite possessive over it! :) He's very good, and takes it all in his stride. I'm quite protective about him - he's just started school, and he's classed as a 'special needs' child, which I fundamentally disagree with - he's not special, he's just an ordinary little boy, just the same as I was. Sometimes the nanny state goes too far for my liking.

I always tell him that we're 'bionic'. We're like 'Iron Man' - he was going to die without the Arc-Reactor on his chest, but now he's got super-powers - just like us. Works great for a 3 year old... ;-)

Thank you so much :). I totally agree with you, totally, about everything :)
Sometimes when my insulin pump is illuminated under my dress (for an alarm signal or something else) my son asks me about it and I say that I'm just like Iron Man ;)

~ Arianna ~