Hello

Kim_C

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all
Just been diagnosed today with T2 diabetes. A friend who is a member here recommended/directed me to this forum and I have spent the last few hours reading through the posts and I think I will be a frequent visitor now :)
Looking forward to getting to know you all and I will probably hound you with questions for a while lol :D
I am booked in to see the diabetic nurse next week, so my first question is what to expect from this and what's the best questions to ask her?

My ID says Kim_C, but just call me Kim :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum Kim.Ask as many questions as you want,that's what we are here for.
Questions for the nurse?
Ask if you can get a test meter and if she says no ask her just how you are expected to monitor how the food you eat affects your blood sugar without one?
Ask about diet and if you can be referred to a chiropodist,and for eye screening.Depending on how they reached the diagnosis you may have a glucose tolerance test organised as well.
Anyone else got ideas,my brain is fogging up!! :D

Aadrgon

Hi Kim and welcome

I have no idea what you diabetic nurse is like - mine has be brainwashed with the eat more carb doctrine - she gave me a diet sheet from the British Hypertension Society :roll:
If your's follow this approach just agree with him/her but read the low carb forum , I halved my BG reading by low carbing.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya kim
welcome to the forum :D

Trinkwasser

A good question to ask might be

"How many of your patients have A1c in the fives?"

If she says none or claims this is not achievable be prepared to reject most of the rest of her advice.

Actually if you don't want to annoy her Sue's questions are much better!

forkhandles

Hi kim, welcome to the site, i'm sure you'll find it very informative, there are some very knowledgeable people on here so don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you like.

Kim_C

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips on questions. It's so reassuring to know I have somewhere to come for answers :D

ketherineann

:? Hello to all I have just joined your group have had diabetes for about 5 years now, went from diet control to medication 2 types of tablets one 3 times a day and 2 first thing in the morning, now the doctors say they are going to put me on insulin as well as my tablets. So just at the min I'm felling quite low. So stumbled across your site and thought why not!!

Aadrgon

Hi kertherineann and welcome

can you give us some idea of your blood sugar levels and diet, we migh tbe able to offer some advice

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi, And welcome to the club.

Your nurse should be interseted in YOU, and how YOU will keep control, she is there to help and give support to YOU. I just hope you get one like mine she supports so well.
Ask whatever you have on your mind, all the things your not sure of, even if you think ist a silly thing to ask we have been asked many things on this site and we never think its silly because we asked the same question when we where told.

Graham1441 :wink: