Hello!

Funky Mum

I've not been diagnosed yet but have just had a GTT and am waiting for the results. I have a strong family connection, am overweight :( and had Gestational Diabetes when pg with my last baby (had to inject insulin but never got it under control).
Currently I'm surfing for info and support. I'm really struggling with tiredness which isn't very good with 3 young children to look after.
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions re diet that I can do whilst I wait for results?

Look forward to chatting with you all :D
Karen x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Karen
It's worth trying to cut down drastically on carbohydrate. Drop sugar entirely and foods which contain it. then cut back on bread, breakfast cereals, rice and pasta, and other foods made from flour. and potatoes and other root veggies. Get a copy of Collins Little Gem Calorie guide. . It's not expensive and fits into a pocket. It will tell you where those carbohydrates are. If you cut back on carbs, you can increase your fats a bit. So eat, meat, fish, eggs, cheese, fresh green vegetables and a Small amount of fruit preferably berries. Put cream in your coffee if you like it. this eating plan should help you feel much more energetic and if you need to, it will help you to lose weight. It will also drop your blood sugar down. It's high blood sugar that makes you tired.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Karen.
Welcome.

As we don't yet know what type, if any, Diabetic you are you may have to wait a little for a definitive answer. There are lots of conflicting views as to what constitutes a good diet.

Tiredness can be a symptom of high Bg levels.

Have a look around the food forum for starters and if you are not sure of anything ask a question or two.

Ken.

Funky Mum

HI and thanks for the welcomes!

Unfortunately for me carbs are my main food source *sigh* I'm also veggie.
Looks like I will be drastically changing my eating habits which can't be a bad thing as I've struggled so much losing weight.
:D

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Welcome Funky Mum,

I was diagnosed only 3 weeks ago and was at that time extremely tired all the time. Since finding this forum I have managed to reduce by bg levels down to an average of 5.6 and the tiredness has been much better - I can at least get through the day without wanting to go to bed all the time.

I have changed my diet and reduced my carbohydrate intake by about 60% which has helped - I have also lost a stone in weight. There are other 'veggies' on the forum so they may be able to suggest some meal ideas for you.

Good luck

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome to the forum :D

Spiral

Funky Mum said:
HI and thanks for the welcomes!

Unfortunately for me carbs are my main food source *sigh* I'm also veggie.
Looks like I will be drastically changing my eating habits which can't be a bad thing as I've struggled so much losing weight.
:D

You have already found my other veggie low carb thread 8) :D

Your story sunds very similar to mine, gestational diabetes, family history, overweight etc etc I'm also a mum and want to eat the same food as my rapidly growing (non-veggie) son - he is also enjoying the changes I have made to my diet.

I started by cutting all added sugar, got very depressed about the "inevitable decline" progression touted by the NHS. But I started reading around and accidentally found the glycaemic index and from there low carb. Then I found these forums and have learned so much about bringing my blood sugar down and got much more positive messages than I was getting anywhere else.

regarding eating, I have been a veggetarian for 25 years and have a fair few cookery books, but I have recently acquired a 3 by Rose Elliot about veggetarian GI and low carn - these can be got quite cheaply on Amazon or eBay. I have also just found The Soy Zone with lots of other nice things in.

Funky Mum

Well I have my results and I have Impaired Tolerance Glucose - so that's my warning. After being on diets my whole life and not really getting very far I *need* to cut the messing and get the job done.
Got an appt with the diabetic nurse tomorrow.
Need to get note making I think and meal planning and thread reading :lol:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
good luck funkymum and ask as many questions as u need to and we will try and help you :D