Help about pasta

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is white pasta a no no?
How does it work? does it make you high very quick?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
For me (T2), it's a definite no-no. 1hr spikes are massive after I've eaten even a small portin of pasta.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, thought might be the case but i keep going hypo after eating it :?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Candi girl,
Some pastas (depends upon the shape and the type of wheat ) have a quite low glycemic index, they are even lower if cooked al dente, the sauce, if fatty also lower the gi .
This is usually a good thing but if you have bolused up front to cover the correct amount of carbs it is possible for your insulin to start working before the carbs have absorbed causing a hypo.
How to cope with it might take a bit of experimentation.
You could just take a bit less insulin, check at 2 hours but also check later to make sure that it hasn't caused a delayed spike with not enough insulin to deal with it. This might work well ( On another forum they did a mass spaghetti bolognese experiment and several people had quite good numbers)
Edit: just realised you have a pump; this is where your dual wave is useful
If you do have problems you could try to adjust how you dose. Some people inject a bit upfront and the rest a little later, others delay the injection for a bit, especially when they are a bit on the low side before the meal.

Incidently there is little difference in gi between wholegrain pasta and white (in fact some wholegrain varieties are slightly higher) but wholegrain has far greater quantities of various vitamins and minerals

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for all of your help, i'll have to do some tests with different times of bolus etc... i do have it al dente and with no sauce, just dip it in tomato ketchup :lol:

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I came across Dreamfields pasta which is low carb and was very pleased with it. I purchased it online and it is expensive but I am only the one in the family that eats it as the other family members don't have diabetes and eat the usual pasta.

samkw

i usually weigh about 100g of white pasta and have that and im on the pump so i programme my pump to give me little bits of insulin on 30mins and that works quite well.